Advice/reviews from CGM users

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm having quite a few issues at present (and have been for months) with what seem to be delayed reactions to food, and glucose spiking at odd times. I currently check my blood around 10 times per day (including night time checks) and have regular hypos and hypers. 12 months ago my levels were relatively under control but all of the goalposts seem to have changed for me and I feel as though I am having to start from scratch. My hypo awareness is perfectly fine when I am awake, but recently for some reason my body no longer wakes me up if I drop low when I'm asleep. This has since led to me being too afraid to go to sleep and repeated panic attacks and anxiety which I obviously want to sort as soon as possible.

I am fully aware that the chances of me receiving any funding from the NHS for a CGM are non-existent so I have looked into the cost to purchase myself and am considering doing this. After research I think the Dexcom G5 mobile system seems to be the best option for me but I was hoping to discuss pros and cons with other users before diving in and spending a large sum of money!

If anyone is a current/past user and has any feedback that would be great.

Thank you,
Ellie x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried doing basal tests yet?

Obviously the anxiety has built up and it cant be cured overnight but its worth doing the basal tests........basal needs can change quite frequently unfortunately....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ellie

Indeed it was my background basal needs that drove me to a pump. I have the Dexcom G4 and its one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. I would move to the G5 once they have got the watch app out in the uk.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried doing basal tests yet?

Obviously the anxiety has built up and it cant be cured overnight but its worth doing the basal tests........basal needs can change quite frequently unfortunately....

Hi, yes I have done basal tests and all is fine during the day. My main issue is that I seem to need a higher basal rate between 5-9AM which is not something I can do when on Lantus! Currently waking up around 4.30AM every day to inject a couple of units of novorapid which is very frustrating. Also very difficult to fine tune basal rates for exercise when I am not eligible for an insulin pump

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie

Indeed it was my background basal needs that drove me to a pump. I have the Dexcom G4 and its one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. I would move to the G5 once they have got the watch app out in the uk.

Thanks for the response, I don't really think my basal needs can be matched with injections unfortunately but I don't have a lot of choice at present. Apparently having an iPhone eliminates the need for the G5 receiver which is certainly helps on the cost front

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, yes I have done basal tests and all is fine during the day. My main issue is that I seem to need a higher basal rate between 5-9AM which is not something I can do when on Lantus! Currently waking up around 4.30AM every day to inject a couple of units of novorapid which is very frustrating. Also very difficult to fine tune basal rates for exercise when I am not eligible for an insulin pump

Having to get up early to inject to keep your waking levels down is actually enough on its own to become eligible for the pump....the Dawn Phenomenon....

what have the basal tests revealed overnight?

are you splitting the basal at the moment?

Reactions: azure

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the response, I don't really think my basal needs can be matched with injections unfortunately but I don't have a lot of choice at present. Apparently having an iPhone eliminates the need for the G5 receiver which is certainly helps on the cost front
I thought this was quite a balanced comparison between Libre and Dexcom. http://childrenwithtype1diabetes.org/dexcom-g5-vs-freestyle-libre-2016

Obviously you want the alarms function from Dexcom now but with the extra insight from CGM you may well end up solving the overnight lows problem and want to look at Libre as an alternative/cheaper option in the future.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to get up early to inject to keep your waking levels down is actually enough on its own to become eligible for the pump....the Dawn Phenomenon....

what have the basal tests revealed overnight?

are you splitting the basal at the moment?

I am splitting yes, half morning and half at night. The basal levels are fine overnight (I reduce night time depending on whether I've been to the gym that evening or not) and hold me steady until around 4-5AM and they start to rise. I can be at 5-6 m/mol and if I don't inject in the early hours be at 13/14m/mol by 9AM. I'm also having to split novo rapid injections for complex carbs otherwise I soon hypo, so I inject half with food and half 2 hours later which is very frustrating as a non pumper!

I did not realise that made me eligible for a pump, my DSN's are aware of my routine

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps consider a different basal insulin? I moved from Lantus to Levemir and have found it much more predictable. Perhaps worth a try.
I use a Dexcom G4 & would definitely recommend a CGM if you can afford it.
The Dexcom G6 is in the pipeline but I'm not sure when it is due.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So is it just the dawn rise your having issues with...? When are the hypos happening....?.....Have you experimented with dose timing to prevent spikes....?....

I went in the pump for the dawn phenomenon alone....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Indeed, I did the same as you splitting the long lasting into two lots but it never worked for me so in the end I moved to a pump.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So is it just the dawn rise your having issues with...? When are the hypos happening....?.....Have you experimented with dose timing to prevent spikes....?....

I went in the pump for the dawn phenomenon alone....
Likewise

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not realise that made me eligible for a pump, my DSN's are aware of my routine

Here's some einformation on eligibility for a pump - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

Dawn phenomenon and anxiety about hypos does make you eligible.

I have used the G4 and have just upgraded to G5. I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. Dexcom might not sell you sensor and transmitter unless you also buy a receiver, so just double check whether you can get away withou buying a receiver - I'm not sure.