Excellent results low carbing

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
I had the fright of my life in June 2016 being diagnosed T2 after 2 months of feeling ill - lethargy, thirst, night leg cramps and unintentional loss of weight. Hba1c of 102 and FBG 21. Not much help from GP, just given advice to cut down on food, do more exercise and to start Metformin by taking 2000g a day within a few weeks. Complete shock and panic but fortunately found this forum and started reading all the positive help, particularly about LCHF. Saw the DN within 4 weeks who gave me a meter and prescription for test strips. I had already started low carbing and she wanted to put me on Glicazide but after testing my blood and seeing it was already down to 10 she decided to not put me on it. I was a bit hit and miss with the metformin and never managed to take more than 2 per day for a few weeks and then decided to stop due to the unfortunate side effects! My next hba1c 10 weeks later was 66. I carried on with the low carb and lost another stone. My motivation was the fear that I could lose limbs as I was suffering with tingling and pains in my feet. My vision was also quite blurry just after diagnosis. My GP told me he thought it unlikely that the foot issues were diabetic related as my BS control was good so he sent me for B12 tests. This came back negative and when I went back to see him he was very dismissive and just told me he could put me on the waiting list to see a neurologist but that it may take a year for an appointment and that diabetes was progressive and I must take the metformin. I didn't. Last week I had my latest Hba1c test. The result was amazing - 43 I am over the moon but know that I still need to lose another 2 stone and do more exercise to keep the control going. Daily figures are around the 5-7 mark but I still spike if I'm not careful with my choice of food. I want to thank everyone who posts on this forum. The panic I felt was scary but I found so much support here and I don't think I could have done it on my own. One day at a time is my mantra. Here's to a Happy New Year, to all the mods please keep up the good work you are amazing. Thank you.

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Well done!!! Brilliant achievement!

How are the pains in your feet now? Some people find that neuropathy pain improves when their bg is under control, and that some dietary supplements may help too!
Thank you, some days are better than others. Not painful just uncomfortable. Today I bought some supplements so hopefully they will help a bit along with more BS control.

Reactions: Prem51

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Thanks for your kind words. It has given me a huge wake up call. I hope to start some proper fitness sessions next week. I'm seeing the DN on Wednesday, my cholesterol has gone up slightly so should be interesting. I'm expecting to get told off!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, some days are better than others. Not painful just uncomfortable. Today I bought some supplements so hopefully they will help a bit along with more BS control.

Have a search of the forum for Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and you will see quite a few threads where it is mentioned. Some people are finding that daily doses are helping to reverse neuropathy. I can't speak from personal experience, so am just suggesting you have a read up on the subject. :)

Reactions: welsheagle

citypaullon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smoking, football
I had the fright of my life in June 2016 being diagnosed T2 after 2 months of feeling ill - lethargy, thirst, night leg cramps and unintentional loss of weight. Hba1c of 102 and FBG 21. Not much help from GP, just given advice to cut down on food, do more exercise and to start Metformin by taking 2000g a day within a few weeks. Complete shock and panic but fortunately found this forum and started reading all the positive help, particularly about LCHF. Saw the DN within 4 weeks who gave me a meter and prescription for test strips. I had already started low carbing and she wanted to put me on Glicazide but after testing my blood and seeing it was already down to 10 she decided to not put me on it. I was a bit hit and miss with the metformin and never managed to take more than 2 per day for a few weeks and then decided to stop due to the unfortunate side effects! My next hba1c 10 weeks later was 66. I carried on with the low carb and lost another stone. My motivation was the fear that I could lose limbs as I was suffering with tingling and pains in my feet. My vision was also quite blurry just after diagnosis. My GP told me he thought it unlikely that the foot issues were diabetic related as my BS control was good so he sent me for B12 tests. This came back negative and when I went back to see him he was very dismissive and just told me he could put me on the waiting list to see a neurologist but that it may take a year for an appointment and that diabetes was progressive and I must take the metformin. I didn't. Last week I had my latest Hba1c test. The result was amazing - 43 I am over the moon but know that I still need to lose another 2 stone and do more exercise to keep the control going. Daily figures are around the 5-7 mark but I still spike if I'm not careful with my choice of food. I want to thank everyone who posts on this forum. The panic I felt was scary but I found so much support here and I don't think I could have done it on my own. One day at a time is my mantra. Here's to a Happy New Year, to all the mods please keep up the good work you are amazing. Thank you.

citypaullon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smoking, football
Well done, I have done something very similar, I was diagnosed as T2 in June/July, and was put on Metformin tablets twice a day, as my HbA1c was 60, All my other tests where all within the required limits etc, i have never had an issue like this before and was pretty active until about 3 years ago when I joined Border Force and spent all my time sitting on my **** checking passports etc..... so decided to change my diet to as ultra low carb diet and get back into exercise, plus resigned from BF......which has done the trick..... had another blood test done and it's now 40.... so therefore have reversed the diabetes..... a change of diet is the best way to deal with it and added exercise ..... plus I have now lost nearly three stone.... so all is good....

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Congratulations @citypaullon it's a great feeling. I saw the DN and she was thrilled with my results. My cholesterol was only slightly up and she wasn't concerned. I don't need to go for another blood test or appt with her for 6months. Just need to keep going with the low carb and start some proper exercise as I sit around way too much at work and home

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Amazing results - well done. It is so inspiring to hear about achievements like this and it thoroughly endorses the LCHF approach. Well done also for not bowing to the medical "experts" who just want to pump you full of drugs at the first sign of high blood glucose. I had exactly the same mantra from my first doctor. Fortunately for me the second doctor had a more informed attitude and put me on to this site and www.dietdoctor.com. Keep up the excellent work! :)

amalia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done welseagle, what a success story on self discipline and determination! I had been diagnosed as pre diabetic, started last April low carbing and after 4 months blood sugar normal, have continued and will have another test in Feb, lost 6 kilos. Learnt how to reverse my diagnosis here in this website and forum, so thankful for it as the GPs and nurses just do not have the right knowledge to help you getting your readings back to normal.

Katie43M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Welsheagle. Brilliant work WELL DONE! I was diagnosed in Feb last year and like you was shocked and worried. I also got very little help from the doctor so went on low carb diet through the forum. Within 6 months had lost 3 1/2 stone and reversed my diabetes. Doctor wanted to know what I had done and took me off metformin! I'm 73 and active and feel better than I have for years. Keep up the good work and don't give up on the low carb lifestyle it really works. My thanks also to the forum and all those people who post their help and advice. Superb help. Kate

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Thank you and well done Kate that's an amazing amount of weight. Do you feel better off the Metformin?