Intermittent waking during the night ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr. Blue certainly isn't obese, nor is he diabetic, but he snores like a pig giving birth to broken glass. He is a poor sleeper. He says I snore. I'm sure I don't. ;)

Reactions: Freema

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a while ago but I reckon it was after a couple of months of very low carb.. Probably about January 2015 when my HbA1c had gone below pre-diabetes levels.
I think there are quite a few of us with "normalised" HbA1c levels.. some ex newcastle dieters and some very low carbers..
I do think its a bit of a shame that more people don't include these details in their signatures as it would give other people more incentive to change their ways of eating.

I agree entirely, for me, looking at your signature was what put me on this path, and I know a few people have said the same of seeing what has happened to me as I've been very open and detailed about my diet, blood results and weight.

Maybe admin could come up with some kind of recommendation on this for people to follow? In the end as well as being a place for people to come to learn, it is also one big informal medical trial, where there really is no reason why dozens of N=1 individual experimenters cannot pool their experiences and really drive forward what needs to be researched to resolve parts of the problem.

The fact that this thread brought forth so many people with the same issue shows how consistent many of the problems are - and if there are a few examples of people who " used " to have any of the issues but don't anymore then really trying to drive through what changed could make a huge difference to a lot of people each of whom can then test out another possible solution themselves.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Mr. Blue certainly isn't obese, nor is he diabetic, but he snores like a pig giving birth to broken glass. He is a poor sleeper. He says I snore. I'm sure I don't. ;)

Does he sleep through though?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next question ! ( I do ask an awful lot of questions ! in the quest t understand this .....)

if you have reported that you have problems staying asleep at night, do you know if you also snore? if you have recovered from the problem, do you know if you also stopped snoring?

Snoring is considered to be a risk factor ( or side effect LOL) of diabetes . I have been known to wake the dead on occasion ( including an entire cinema subjected to watching (IMHO) the dreadful and interminable Fantastic Beasts movie which was so bad as to induce unconsciousness!
Again I used to snore a lot and my partner said I used to stop breathing...so some sleep apnoea.. this has stopped for the most part ..probably due to weight loss. Now I sleep much better as does he.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I snore less now used to have a slight aphnea But not since loosing all This weight ... my problems a not related to snoring anymore

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread has made me think about other things that have changed for me since diagnosis and modifying my diet..

I used to get a lot of bloating.. not any more
Used to have really bad indigestion... not any more
Used to snore a lot and wake hubby up.. a lot less frequent( although last night after quite a large curry I woke him up three times apparently... oops)
Used to get up to pee multiple times.. usually sleep right through
Used to wake myself up with sleep apnoea.. don't think I do this at all any more
Used to be perpetually tired.. much more energetic on less sleep

Used to have a huge belly and size 44 inch waist.. now small overhang and 36 inch

So a work in progress...

Reactions: Speedbird

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bulkbiker

What do you think is your ideal weight?

I'm aiming for 14 st - 196 pounds - 89 kg
Seems to a niceish number.. was my weight when I was in my late 20's (for a couple of weeks when dieting!)
Under 200 pounds under 90 kg and should put my BMI in the middle of the overweight range (26.6) which would appear to be the healthiest or a least the one that leads to most longevity. So thats about 2 stones off from where I am now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Following this thread, and like @bulkbiker, I used to have very poor sleep patterns and deprivation due to being obese and unhealthy. I used to snore, I used to be up most of the night after a few hours kip!
I don't believe it was my bladder waking me, but it didn't help! I'm not on meds as such as others have suggested, it was, mostly my body (subconcious) telling me that it wanted to get the message across that it couldn't repair the damage that my pancreas was doing to me, because of the unhealthy for me, the foods I was eating, too much insulin, too much glucose and whatever cocktail of hormones were in my blood stream!
I still get the odd weird dream but since losing all the weight and becoming healthier, my body has let me sleep better.
Also since my energy levels increased dramatically, this I believe has helped so much. I get tired, but not lethargic, I never get that no more!
Very low carb is so beneficial to your health, that I can't recommend it enough!
Sweet dreams!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following this thread, and like @bulkbiker, I used to have very poor sleep patterns and deprivation due to being obese and unhealthy. I used to snore, I used to be up most of the night after a few hours kip!
I don't believe it was my bladder waking me, but it didn't help! I'm not on meds as such as others have suggested, it was, mostly my body (subconcious) telling me that it wanted to get the message across that it couldn't repair the damage that my pancreas was doing to me, because of the unhealthy for me, the foods I was eating, too much insulin, too much glucose and whatever cocktail of hormones were in my blood stream!
I still get the odd weird dream but since losing all the weight and becoming healthier, my body has let me sleep better.
Also since my energy levels increased dramatically, this I believe has helped so much. I get tired, but not lethargic, I never get that no more!
Very low carb is so beneficial to your health, that I can't recommend it enough!
Sweet dreams!
Thankyou @Lamont D it is so inspirational when you read what it has done for others. I have lost 23kg so far, but I still have at least another 17kg to go, sometimes it feels like a mountain to climb. I guess the difference between this and every other diet of my life is that now when I eat unhealthily I get instant feedback in terms of real numbers and real damage which is a lot less nebulous than the odd pound of scale creep

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Before diagnosis, I suffered a great deal from intermittent sleep patterns.
Not only to get up for the bathroom but from dreams and hypos.
Believe it was my bodies response to get me to recover from the hypos.
I'm not saying that is what you are getting.
But it may be from fluctuating blood glucose levels.
It could be sleep apnoea, or another breathing problem.
Since I gained good control from the fluctuations, I have slept a lot better!
Still get the odd weird dreams tho!!!
I believe this is what happens to me. Luckily I wake with a hypo too. Some people don't and are in a problem.
My sugars and thyroid are adjusting in rest. Blood pressure too. God knows what my heart is doing.
Anyway, I feel my interuptions are due to hormones znd meds. Until they settle down my sleep won't.
I have noticed I sleep better on higher bgs thou, not too high.

Reactions: Lamont D

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to wake up in the night drenched in sweat, having poor temperature control. Then last year, pre diagnosis, we changed our bedding, first to a wool duvet, then to all cotton covers. Since then no sweating! I also used to snore and my legs twitched at random times during the night, much to Mrs Typins annoyance. Now I rarely snore and my leg twitching is less. As others have said both the latter are probable down to the LCHF diet rather than the bedding.

Reactions: ickihun

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I used to wake up in the night drenched in sweat, having poor temperature control. Then last year, pre diagnosis, we changed our bedding, first to a wool duvet, then to all cotton covers. Since then no sweating! I also used to snore and my legs twitched at random times during the night, much to Mrs Typins annoyance. Now I rarely snore and my leg twitching is less. As others have said both the latter are probable down to the LCHF diet rather than the bedding.

It could be your dreams, I know from the vivid ones I get and from the wife that movement like you describe were part and parcel of sleep disruption and the dreams!

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, I don't get the vivid dreams that I used to either! Not sure if that's a good thing or not :meh:

Reactions: Lamont D

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've experimented for a couple of days by eating more. I usually stay below 30 carbs a day and often below 20. Not sure on calories but my meals are very small.. tea plate size.
I unfortunately got the munchies last night and ate far more than I would normally.. Mixed nuts, Chunk of cheese and some pork scratchings !
BUT... I slept better than I've done for ages and only woke twice, and one of those was because hubby got up for a wee.
Fasting was still 7.2 but that seems usual for me.
I don't want to keep doing this for too long as I still have a couple of stones to lose, but I'll keep experimenting.. unless my weight starts to creep up, then it will be time for a rethink.

Reactions: Speedbird