painful stomach

chrissieworne

Hi all

Hoping you can offer some assistance. Having recovered from the breast abscess at last, my GP saw me last week as I have been suffering from agonising stomach pain after eating accompanied by severe trapped wind. She thinks I may have a gastric ulcer and started me off on Omeprazole 40mg per day. Its 4 days on and my stomach is not quite as sore although I have lost 9lbs in weight in a week because I am basically scared to eat!! have just had one weetabix in lots of milk 3 times a day! She has told me to avoid all fat...g8, no sugar, no salt and no fat! Apparently as I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago the system can't manage fat well.

Problem is this trapped gas, don't laugh...it is so painful, starts in my stomach, gets in to my back and my lower guts as well, there is a lot of spasm and gurgling, lots of burping but no passing gas below. It builds and builds and I just cannot shift it. I am not constipated. Please can anyone suggest anything?

I feel as though I can't cope with all this much longer, its just one thing after another and I feel really low.

Thanks Chrissie

chrissieworne

Oh and meant to add, I was in so much pain when I saw her my pulse was fast, I had a temperature and my BP had shot to 156/99!!! she wasn't too concerned as she said it was the pain, I am normally about 130/75-80.

Thanks
Chrissie

C

catherinecherub

Hi Chrissie,
Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing with trapped wind.

Try laying flat on the floor, lifting your knees onto your chest and locking your arms around them and pushing as though you are going to use the loo. This was something I heard a Dr. advise to a patient once and it worked. Make sure you are alone when you are doing it as the result may not be very dignified. :oops:
Hope it works for you,
Catherine.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Awww ...poor you Chrissie. Trapped gas can be excruciating and your GP should realise how distressing this is.
My advice is to go back and ask for something to be done sooner rather just leaving it to see if it settles down.
If it was me and in all probability nursing an ulcer (which I have suffered) I would ask for some further investigations to eliminate other things that might be causing the problem.
Omperazole is a proton pump inhibitor and it is written somewhere that it should only be prescribed after certain conditions have been ruled out.

In the mean time maybe some peppermint or ginger might help you, but please go back to your GP asap and seek further help as well as get checked out properly.

Please come back and let us know how you got on...good luck!

crystalyips

Charcoal Biscuits are good for eliminating trapped wind. You can get them in Boots. Actually they do charcoal in tablet form.
Have had wind for years and found that the best thing that helped me was to not worry about having wind and letting it go. I've developed a cough which covers up a multitude of sins when I'm out and at home I am renowned for passing wind on every step whenever I go up and down stairs.
They do say that you know when you're relaxed in someone's company when you can pass wind and not have to worry about the consequences

chrissieworne

Thanks folks
The wind seems to be settling a bit in the way that I can at least pass it now. Stomach feels a bit better but am still unsure what to eat. I spoke to my GP today and she said to eat 4-5 v small meals per day. I am worried she went straight ahead and prescribed this med as I also read certain things should be ruled out first. I did have an endoscopy yrs ago when I had similar symptoms and that showed gastric reflux and too much acid production. She said she is treating it as though I have that or poss a small ulcer. She is normally VERY GOOD so I suppose I should trust her judgement? The course is 40mg for 3 weeks then 20mg per day for a month.
I am sure the weight loss is a reaction to the tiny amounts I am eating. Does anyone think I should have automatically asked for tests? Its just that its been one thing after another lately and I don't want her to think I am a nusiance.

Thanks Chrissie