Lunch ideas?

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone got any lunch ideas today?! I've been having sheets of ham, wrapped around spinach with a bit of ceasar dressing for the last few days, which has been lovely, but I want a change! In the past I've just gone for things like cocktail sausages for an easy fix. I can't cook at work, but work opposite a Sainsbury's :) cheap, low/no carb but delicious please!!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
How about something like tinned sardines or mackerel and salad? Or how about soft cheese with salami or ham wrapped around it? Pate or houmous with Lidl protein roll and a crunchy green salad is my husband's favourite at the moment.

Reactions: Energize and mo53

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tub of pate. Spoon. Half a cucumber.

My go-to supermarket lunch!

For lunch I usually have either a massive salad (I make 3 portions at a time, so there's always a lunchbox of salad waiting in the fridge) which I pimp with cheese, ham, peanut butter (FAB in/on salad!) pate, smoked mackerel, whatever I fancy that day, OR I have soup, which I make every week in 6-portion batches. I have access to a microwave, but it would be just as easy to heat it at home and bung it in a flask.

:)

Reactions: Energize and mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about red berries, strawberries, raspberries and yoghurt (not low fat) or cream? But do you have access to a fridge for storage or a cold bag?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually have a chopped salad. Bits of chopped onion, scallion, radish and celery as well as avocado chunks and some protein like salmon, chicken etc all drizzled with EVOO. If it's tuna I gotta have my mayo. All veggies are prechopped and waiting in the fridge.

I precook loads of proteins and freeze in single serve baggies. I always have salmon, shrimp, chicken, turkey, rare beef and lamb slices. Then I defrost in water and assemble.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been eating blue cheese with celery lately. Some really good blue cheese about these days and not too expensive :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked chicken, salads, raw veggies with a garlic mayo dip, a lot of supermarkets now do boiled eggs as snacks - sorry don't have a Sainsbury's so don't know their range.

jenny707

Anyone got any lunch ideas today?! I've been having sheets of ham, wrapped around spinach with a bit of ceasar dressing for the last few days, which has been lovely, but I want a change! In the past I've just gone for things like cocktail sausages for an easy fix. I can't cook at work, but work opposite a Sainsbury's :) cheap, low/no carb but delicious please!!!

I enjoy mozzarella sun dried tomatoes and advocado with balsamic vinegar

gillianwrdl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners and inconsideration for others. Relatives who phone all the time and rattle on about nothing! Manipulating types, liars, control freaks, etc etc!
I hate how my feet pain all the time. Arthritis, Diabetes and probably after effects from Chemotherapy.
I find lunches a real nuisance on the farm for some unknown reason, so often whiz up some milk with an egg tossed in and perhaps some banana or strawberries, also a glob of yoghurt or maybe diet (no sugar) ice cream. You can throw in all kinds of alternatives; make it with savoury ingredients if you fancy it that way. This is a really speedy option if you hate mucking around with food and detest interrupting what you are doing to create a fancy lunch. Occasionally I give in to a yummy beef pie. I would like a no carb pastry to put around my Cornish pasties, but really no such thing exists!

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I work in the city centre and I am just going to Wings (chinese) to buy a large tray of crispy duck. No pancakes just the duck. Please conserve your jealousy!

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
One "breakfast" grabbed from the supermarket shelves recently consisted of a hard-boiled egg with spinach, plus mozzarella with sunblush tomatoes. It was delicious and extremely filling. I didn't eat again until the evening. If you have a fridge at work you could just eat half the mozzarella & sunblush tomatoes and keep the rest for the next day.

I'd go with what others have suggested - handfuls of nuts with cheese, raw chopped veg, salad leaves, other cooked meats, tins of fish.

Reactions: dbr10

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a load of BabyBel in the fridge at work for snack purposes (helps avoid temptation of biscuits in the staff room!) Avocado with tuna and cheese, pot of prawn cocktail (in the sandwich / snack chiller). If you have a Lidl near you, stock up on their protein rolls and take in to have with cheese / pate / Marmite:hungry: