Saturated Fats

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wonder is it possible to buy Israeli olive oil. I tend to trust them more than other Med & Middle East countries. They have more to lose if caught cheating.

I get mine from Greece but its from a lady which lives in UK but has her own olive grove estate in Greece. She imports it for her friends and family in big tins which I decant to green bottles.
Its quite expensive though £35 5L I think now.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get mine from Greece but its from a lady which lives in UK but has her own olive grove estate in Greece. She imports it for her friends and family in big tins which I decant to green bottles.

Well done donnellysdogs. We have a Turkish friend who lives near us in UK and she has olive groves in Turkey - I must have a chat with her. Thank you.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Check the way they processs if they do olive oil...

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year to everyone. I trust that you will know God's peace and blessing in 2017.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been reading the UK “Asda Guide for People with Diabetes”. It says:

1. Avoid being overweight

2. Starchy foods should make up the largest part of your diet.

3. Eat less fat, especially saturated fat.

4. Added sugar (sucrose) is acceptable.

On page 4 it says: “base your meals around rice, potato, bread, pasta or cereal”.

On page 5 it says: “All rice, pasta, bread, chapattis, cereals and potatoes .... are great foods”.

Page 6 says: “BREAKFAST: Fruit juice, chopped fruit on cereal, tomatoes on toast, fresh fruit e.g grapefruit, bananas”.

Page 7 recommends: “Semi Skinned & Skimmed Milk & Light Yorguts”.
Page 8 recommends: “Peas, beans, oats, pasta and rice dishes, curries and mince dishes”.

Page 9 suggests: “Diet Coke, Jams, Biscuits, Malted Milk, Scones and plain cakes. Pizzas & Pies”.

Page 10 suggests: “Banana & Date Loaf”.

Page 11 suggests: “ Apple & Pear Crumble. Marmalade Carrot Loaf”

This is the advice from “Commerce”. Now, what are the comments and advice from Diabetics “who have been there = experts”?

trotskyite

People above who are suggesting increasing egg consumption would do well to understand that the science shows a worrying trend for type2 diabetics who go above "recommended" levels of consumption ie not that many. (1 per day?)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3683816/
"compared with those who never consume eggs, those who eat 1 egg per day or more are 42% more likely to develop type 2 diabetes. Among diabetic patients, frequent egg consumers (ie, ≥ 1 egg/d) are 69% more likely to have CVD comorbidity."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/964.full.pdf
"Compared with the lowest category of egg consumption, the intake of 7 eggs/wk was associated with a 22% greater risk of death in the absence of prevalent diabetes"
"Conclusions: Infrequent egg consumption does not seem to influence the risk of CVD in male physicians. In addition, egg consumption was positively related to mortality, more strongly so in diabetic subjects, in the study population"

Studies that show positive associations (which btw are all funded by the egg industry) with egg intake, quoted in links above, also fail to mention that the positive associations were only seen when the diet was already low in saturated fats:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586539/
"The background or intervention diet appears to be a key nutritional component. A high egg diet in the context of a background diet that is low in saturated fats (a polyunsaturated to saturated fat ratio > 0.7), or a diet that replaces saturated fats with poly- and mono-unsaturated fats, is likely to result in positive or no adverse changes in LDL cholesterol, and could be safely advised"

Anyway the take away is that the abstract of the study does not tell the whole story. You need to read the full study.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I have cheese on toast with an egg on top only have lower carb bread like Burgen soya and linseed bread and only one slice occasionally.

@Brunneria what is the recipe for the flax seed crackers please as have been using flax seed lately.
Hi JohnEGreen... Can I just point out that flax contains plant oestrogen? Probably best for men to not eat quite so much... chia seed is really good and full of fibre... Susi

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
People above who are suggesting increasing egg consumption would do well to understand that the science shows a worrying trend for type2 diabetics who go above "recommended" levels of consumption ie not that many. (1 per day?)

"compared with those who never consume eggs, those who eat 1 egg per day or more are 42% more likely to develop type 2 diabetes. Among diabetic patients, frequent egg consumers (ie, ≥ 1 egg/d) are 69% more likely to have CVD comorbidity."

"Compared with the lowest category of egg consumption, the intake of 7 eggs/wk was associated with a 22% greater risk of death in the absence of prevalent diabetes"
"Conclusions: Infrequent egg consumption does not seem to influence the risk of CVD in male physicians. In addition, egg consumption was positively related to mortality, more strongly so in diabetic subjects, in the study population"

Studies that show positive associations (which btw are all funded by the egg industry) with egg intake, quoted in links above, also fail to mention that the positive associations were only seen when the diet was already low in saturated fats:

"The background or intervention diet appears to be a key nutritional component. A high egg diet in the context of a background diet that is low in saturated fats (a polyunsaturated to saturated fat ratio > 0.7), or a diet that replaces saturated fats with poly- and mono-unsaturated fats, is likely to result in positive or no adverse changes in LDL cholesterol, and could be safely advised"

Anyway the take away is that the abstract of the study does not tell the whole story. You need to read the full study.

I am concerned that people might take this seriously? I eat at least two eggs every day and control my D2 with a regime that uses a large number of eggs... they are the perfect nutritional package... Perhaps you could so some more research?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day yesterday. We did here in Uganda. My wife and I decided to spend our last Christmas in Uganda with the people we have come to love and work with these past 15 years.

The children of the Sunday School arranged a Nativity play which they practiced themselves without any teachers having an input. They made their own costumes and wrote their own lines from the Bible. Some parts were very innovative but not contradictive to the Scriptural text. The sermon was thoughtful and inspiring linking the Advent of Christ with crucifixion on Calvary.

Afterwards all the children (about 100) received a soft cuddly toy and the whole congregation (about 170) received a bottle of cold soda (outside temperature was about 80 degrees f). Many people stayed behind to enjoy lunch with us which consisted of chicken, beef, rice, roast potatoes, cabbage, and matoke (a vegetable banana), plenty of saturated fats mixed with traditional FRESH carbs.

The whole day (including lunch and the toys) was paid for by the Free Presbyterian Church in Northern Ireland.

In the evening my wife and I were still not hungry so at 9 pm we had a boiled egg and a tomato sandwich. I checked my blood sugar beforehand and it was 13.9 OH DEAR.

Oh dear, indeed! Too many carbs... rice, bread, banana, tomato and potato... :) Your Christmas sounds wonderful... Happy New Year... Susi

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, indeed! Too many carbs... rice, bread, banana, tomato and potato... :) Your Christmas sounds wonderful... Happy New Year... Susi

Thanks Susi. It was a wonderful Christmas. Because I eat only FRESH food in Uganda (even though it is all carbs) my Insulin needs are about 30% less than the UK. Processed foods are the killer in Uk.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you for that research.

Reactions: trotskyite

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Susi. It was a wonderful Christmas. Because I eat only FRESH food in Uganda (even though it is all carbs) my Insulin needs are about 30% less than the UK. Processed foods are the killer in Uk.
I have UC so I have not eaten processed food or grains for many years, and grew up eating home-grown food... processed food is a choice in any country but was never mine... my blood glucose still goes up with carbs, so I don't think fresh food is the answer entirely... I control it as tightly as I can because I refuse to take medication... I low-carb-high-fat... such a difference in my life! But I miss lentils, beans, fruit etc... I eat a little sometimes though... :) Good luck with it all...

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have UC so I have not eaten processed food or grains for many years, and grew up eating home-grown food... processed food is a choice in any country but was never mine... my blood glucose still goes up with carbs, so I don't think fresh food is the answer entirely... I control it as tightly as I can because I refuse to take medication... I low-carb-high-fat... such a difference in my life! But I miss lentils, beans, fruit etc... I eat a little sometimes though... :) Good luck with it all...

HELLO Susi. I agree entirely. I live in the "bush" in Uganda - no running water, no electricity, no flush lavatories, etc. I favour the LCHF Diet but where I live the HF part of the diet is not readily available (unless I travel 25 miles to a town). BUT, the Carbs are all from FRESH food and not processed (like in the UK) so my Insulin needs are about 30% less than in the UK.

GOOD NEWS - from next Tuesday I will be back to living in the UK so I can try the LCHF diet.

SAD NEWS: - I am going to miss 350 lovely little black faces in the school.

Life has its ups and downs.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am concerned that people might take this seriously? I eat at least two eggs every day and control my D2 with a regime that uses a large number of eggs... they are the perfect nutritional package... Perhaps you could so some more research?

My take on this is that it looks like the typical research where they start with a presumption, "eggs are bad", can't find any concrete evidence to support the allegation and so say more research is necessary - if the findings had gone the other way it would have been trumpeted to the rooftops - I for one am getting mightily bored by the way the established status quo is being defended despite what appear to be the facts.

Eggs work for me and it is clearly the one food that is sufficient to sustain life all on its own. They will stay in my diet for the forseeable future without limitation.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
HELLO Susi. I agree entirely. I live in the "bush" in Uganda - no running water, no electricity, no flush lavatories, etc. I favour the LCHF Diet but where I live the HF part of the diet is not readily available (unless I travel 25 miles to a town). BUT, the Carbs are all from FRESH food and not processed (like in the UK) so my Insulin needs are about 30% less than in the UK.

GOOD NEWS - from next Tuesday I will be back to living in the UK so I can try the LCHF diet.

SAD NEWS: - I am going to miss 350 lovely little black faces in the school.

Life has its ups and downs.

Life certainly does have its ups and down... :) Carbs tend to be carbs unfortunately - processed or otherwise... Sweet potato is fresh, but it's full of carbs... Being active tends to keep your numbers down and it certainly sounds as though you have had a busy time! I admire you for what you've been doing, and I'm sure the children will miss you very much too...

Have you ever looked up the Banting site? It is fascinating - South African LCHF, which has been around for years... the ladies on the FB site are hilarious, and so dedicated to cutting out carbs - they are losing weight and gaining health rather than trying to control diabetes, but one will do the other with luck... it may amuse and inform you... I check in every day to see who is doing what and to get inspirational recipes... I don't always recognise or understand the food terms they use, but they will always provide help where necessary... I have learned a lot from them...

All the low-carb links on the Diabetes.co.uk site are informative and there is a huge pool of knowledge and support here, whatever your questions - they say on this site there is no foolish question, so you just have to ask... Good luck and a safe trip my friend... Susi

Reactions: donnellysdogs