Car insurance

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi can anyone tell me abit about car insurance when you have diabetes it's the first time I've had to insure my car since being diagnosed I'm on my dad's insurance classed as a second driver would I still have to tell the insurance company about my diabetes as I'm only classed as a named driver might sound a funny question but I need abit of help thanks

Reactions: Itomo1

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I'm pretty sure in the UK as long as you are diet controlled or only on oral meds then there is no need to declare

Reactions: djry

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should tell an insurer of all material facts, that includes diabetes. That way there is no wriggle room in the event of a claim.
FWIW my insurer noted my condition but it did not alter the premium, but I am not on any medication that might cause a hypo

Reactions: KezG and djry

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi can anyone tell me abit about car insurance when you have diabetes it's the first time I've had to insure my car since being diagnosed I'm on my dad's insurance classed as a second driver would I still have to tell the insurance company about my diabetes as I'm only classed as a named driver might sound a funny question but I need abit of help thanks

You just declare you have a 3 year restricted licence, the last time I insured my car they didn't want to know the details on why it was a restricted licence (it was an on-line application) so they may not ask, if the insurance company want to know more details then just tell them you are type 2 and treated by insulin.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A similar question came up some time ago which I answered then and was rebuked in my reply. I re-checked what I had posted with the DVLA and found that I was indeed correct in my reply.
Basically any driver, whether they are Type 1, Type 2 or whatever other Type needs to inform the DVLA that they are diabetic and also tell them what medications they are being prescribed. Generally if the medication ie: Insulin, Glicazide or whatever the medication is that lowers the B/G level and can 'POSSIBLY' induce a likely Hypo (Irrespective of whether the individual is Type 1, Type 2 or whatever) they will then be advised as to what their legal requirements are that enable them to remain driving and complying with the UK statory law.
In general 'Diet control alone', orMefrormin medications will not cause their B/G to drop down to a Hypo level.. However in ALL instances every driver is advised to also notify their Insurance Company to the fact that they are classified as diabetic and are considered 'Safe' to continue driving as per the DVLA notification.
Many individuals fail to notify either theDVLA and/or their Insurance Company which could under certain cercumstance i.e. an accident (not the diabetic's fault) invalidate their insurance, and Insurance Companies have been know to use this as a loophole in settling any claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: djry and Salvia

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im in the motor trade if you have diabetes you have to notify your insurance or any insurance that you are named on if you are type 2 and controlled by diet or metformin, that is the law, there will be no change to your premium or stipulations if you are controled by any drug which can cause a hypo you will be required to test your levels prior to long journeys.
as for the DVLA there is no need to notify them if diet controled or on metformin if you are on medication that can cause a hypo then you have to notify them and send a form in so that they can contact your doctor
If you drive for a living HGV PCV then you have to notify them in all cases

Reactions: djry and Salvia
D

Deleted Account

This is one of those things that I think everyone should be told when they are first diagnosed. The focus is always around medication and diet but it seems to be forgotten that we do things like drive, exercise and work as well.
There seems to be a lot of material about what to do when your child is diagnosed (like what to expect from their school) but very little about when an adult is diagnosed.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I informed dvla and insurance that I'm T1D on insulin. Have 3 year license and no increase in premium all very straightforward.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Im in the motor trade if you have diabetes you have to notify your insurance or any insurance that you are named on if you are type 2 and controlled by diet or metformin, that is the law, there will be no change to your premium or stipulations if you are controled by any drug which can cause a hypo you will be required to test your levels prior to long journeys.
as for the DVLA there is no need to notify them if diet controled or on metformin if you are on medication that can cause a hypo then you have to notify them and send a form in so that they can contact your doctor
If you drive for a living HGV PCV then you have to notify them in all cases

Nope.

The questions are always
Do you have a condition you need to notify DVLA
and
Are the DVLA aware

for private insurance

I used to, but after being told by my insurers not to bother, I stopped.
Check the DVLA website for conditions that apply.

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nope.

The questions are always
Do you have a condition you need to notify DVLA
and
Are the DVLA aware

for private insurance

I used to, but after being told by my insurers not to bother, I stopped.
Check the DVLA website for conditions that apply.
I have spoken to them on the phone much better than trying to get rules from their website

toscamo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diabetic nurse told me that if your diabetes is controlled by diet and/or tablets then you don't need to inform anyone. If you use insulin, then you must tell the DVLA and your insurer. I started using insulin just over 12 months ago -- the DVLA have changed my license to a 3 year one (you get a form signed by your GP, mainly to confirm that you haven't had any bad hypos) but my car insurer wasn't bothered (Direct Line) - they said that as long as I'm following doctor's advice they don;t need to know.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are several medical conditions that here in the UK the driver is legally obliged to inform the DVLA of their condition and medications.
Any form of medication that can lower Blood Glucose levels and induce a potential Hypo means that the driver is legally obliged to tell the DVLA of their condition. It dosen't matter what type of diabetes the individual has (It applies equally to both Type 1.Type 2 or whatever other Type) the criteria is if the medication can induce a potential Hypo.
In such cases the DVLA will often ask for a Doctors approval as to the individualy chances and history over recent months/years as to wheter they have had, or are likely to experience a Hypo.
Their licence is then either approved with basic limitations, or issued for a set period of time.
It remains with the individual to always ensure that prior to actually driving, they ensure that their Blood Glucose level is sufficiently high so as to reduce the chance of them going Hypo whilst driving'
The driver should take appropriate action to preven a Hypo amd cary Glucose Medications so that in the event of an unforseen Hypo occuring,, there is a remedy readily availabe to hand, together with a means of testing.
As for vehicle insurance, many insurers simply aren't that bothered in adjusting or ammending the terms of an individuals insurance policy and often leave things as they currently are. But it is always best to inform your Insurance Company that you have diabetes, and even if they don't seem to bother by knowing this, to still get them to acknoledge IN WRITING that you have informed them.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Nevertheless, I follow the doctrine of uberrimae fidei which applies to contracts like insurance, if only to reduce the chance of them wriggling out of paying!

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Nevertheless, I follow the doctrine of uberrimae fidei which applies to contracts like insurance, if only to reduce the chance of them wriggling out of paying!

I am not in the habit of disclosing information I am not legally obliged to disclose. I value my privacy to much for that.

Redpete222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
I am not in the habit of disclosing information I am not legally obliged to disclose. I value my privacy to much for that.
If you look on your licence it states you only have to tell the dvla or insurance if you are T1 or insulin dependant, it's also on the DVLA web site, I declared that I had T2 to my insurance and they tryed to add £60. To my cover but after a bit of a bust up they took it off but it is a good thing to tell them just in case you have a claim.