Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
It's a start.

I've been buying the Barenaked noodles for some time now; they're pretty good.

Reactions: Prem51

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A decent effort. However some of the products are not that low carb. E.g the sweet potato & polenta fries have 23.7g of carbs per 100g.

As always, check before you buy.

One day the low carb alternatives will be as numerous as the gluten free products.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just seen that the Sainsburys website has a section labelled 'carb alternatives' with cauli rice etc. I don't know what the availability will be like but so good to see the message is getting through!
Hopefully this link will work...

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/fruit-veg/carb-alternatives#langId=44&storeId=10151&catalogId=10241&categoryId=238865&parent_category_rn=12518&top_category=12518&pageSize=30&orderBy=SEQUENCING|FAVOURITES_ONLY|TOP_SELLERS&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0

I'm with you. The simple fact that they acknowledge a growing demographic of customers who are interested in low carb is positive, and very interesting. Perhaps the message really is getting through, for economic reasons. That's the only way it's going to work, in the long term. If the supermarkets could keep low carb alternatives at a reasonable price, not much more that a bag of crisps, it might work. Not sure they'd do that, though. Walkers and Coke are huge financial forces.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Encouraging. I wonder if the other big supermarkets will follow suit. Perhaps they'll let Sainsbury be the guinea pig and see how they fair first.

Reactions: dbr10 and BeccyB

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a start.

I've been buying the Barenaked noodles for some time now; they're pretty good.

It's a taste thing. I tried them and they tasted like rubber bands. Spiralised courgette and cauli rice
work better for us, but a bit of a b****r to prepare. ;)

Edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they are getting the message but agree some of the items are more moderate than low and a couple I'd call high. I notice M&S are introducing more
Items to although they missed a trick with their Balance for You range.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A low carb sliced courgette, £3.75 kg.
A normal unsliced courgette £1.50 kg.

I think they have indeed seen the market.

Reactions: Energize and BeccyB

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Some of those products I know I'd buy so I've got my fingers crossed that Sainsbury get them in to my local little store - I doubt it though as they seem to have virtually give up trying since a new Lidl opened opposite.

I prefer the Barnaked rice to the noodles but (as far as my tastebuds go) they are okay mainly because I never thought the rice or pasta they are replacing tasted of much anyway.

Most supermarkets do cauliflower rice and I like the flavoured Caulirice products, especially the Pilau one (I get them at Morrisons or Asda).

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wonder if they'll ever dare to have a high fat section :)

Shock! Horror! Wouldn't that be good? I read labels and look for the highest fat count but they keep denying my fatty goodness. Which has enabled me to lose 27kg in eight months. The monsters! :woot:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wonder if they'll ever dare to have a high fat section :)

Hubby and I went shopping in Tesco today and it was a struggle to find the full-fat Greek yogurt. I'm really concerned they'll take it off the shelves. Everything else, literally, was 0% fat.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hubby and I went shopping in Tesco today and it was a struggle to find the full-fat Greek yogurt. I'm really concerned they'll take it off the shelves. Everything else, literally, was 0% fat.

I find ALDI is far more low carb without them even realising it. I think it must be down to their suppliers. They do a great can of chicken soup - 2g in the whole can. They also do a range of full fat cheeses and yogurts and their veg is always far fresher than other supermarkets and best of all I'd guess our shop is at least 25% cheaper than Tesco's or ASDA. I'd guess we now get roughly 75% from ALDI and 25% from Tesco's

Reactions: Alisonjayne12345

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find ALDI is far more low carb without them even realising it. I think it must be down to their suppliers. They do a great can of chicken soup - 2g in the whole can. They also do a range of full fat cheeses and yogurts and their veg is always far fresher than other supermarkets and best of all I'd guess our shop is at least 25% cheaper than Tesco's or ASDA. I'd guess we now get roughly 75% from ALDI and 25% from Tesco's
Hi which soup is that from Aldi please, I'd like to get some. Thanks

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A low carb sliced courgette, £3.75 kg.
A normal unsliced courgette £1.50 kg.

I think they have indeed seen the market.

Do you mean when they're previously spiralised and packaged for an extortionate price? Handy for a one-off but really taking the pee. ;)

jodysd6

I like the range in Sainsbury's, it's my closest supermarket and walking distance. Some stuff is cheaper to buy unprepared but I honestly couldn't bear to make my own butternut squash noodles or lasagne sheets, or even to mess about making broccoli or cauliflower rice, so I like being able to buy it ready made!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi which soup is that from Aldi please, I'd like to get some. Thanks

Its their cheapo brand (haven't got any here at the mo). It's just called Chicken soup and comes in a yellowy beige can. Just look at the label on the back of the can to confirm.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like the range in Sainsbury's, it's my closest supermarket and walking distance. Some stuff is cheaper to buy unprepared but I honestly couldn't bear to make my own butternut squash noodles or lasagne sheets, or even to mess about making broccoli or cauliflower rice, so I like being able to buy it ready made!

We live in an age of easy cooking. I buy some excellent pre-made chicken in cheese sauce with a very low carb count as a back-up. On the whole, I cook from (almost) scratch. 'Lazy' chili, garlic and ginger feature large.