Hospital Menu for diabetic person

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd rather they not feed people food that has a negative impact on their health while they're trying to cure them. "Sorry, sir, but we need to amputate your foot due to your diabetes. While you're waiting, have some pasta shells in cheese sauce, boiled potatoes, and rice pudding. It's super healthy for diabetics."

'No thanks, I low carb, I'll have the turkey salad'
or
'That's fine thanks, I won't eat it all, as I control my diabetes by low calorie, and portion control'

Me, I can manage either way, so it'll depend what mood I'm in on the day.

(As for type 1's, as the menu makes no distinction, I wouldn't know what to say for them)

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
But they have, just because people don't like those options is hard luck. I will concede that many of the items listed with a 'D' are not appropriate for a diet controlled Type 2 but there ARE things to choose.
Most of the "choices" were completely inedible when I was last in hospital. I'm not a fussy eater, but when you are offerd food of any kind you at least expect it to be cooked! I was served a jacket potato that must have been in the oven for all of 5 minutes.
It was rock hard and cold. You don't get offered a replacement either! I would gladly pay for my food when in hospital - if it was going to be of a standard that was at least edible.

Reactions: Catlady19

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
'No thanks, I low carb, I'll have the turkey salad'
or
'That's fine thanks, I won't eat it all, as I control my diabetes by low calorie, and portion control'

Me, I can manage either way, so it'll depend what mood I'm in on the day.

(As for type 1's, as the menu makes no distinction, I wouldn't know what to say for them)
Type one's can eat anything. They just have to adjust their insulin.
I'm type 2 and when I was last in hospital (just before christmas) I would have gladly ordered a turkey salad but it was not on offer on any of the menu's throughout the week.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type one's can eat anything. They just have to adjust their insulin.
I'm type 2 and when I was last in hospital (just before christmas) I would have gladly ordered a turkey salad but it was not on offer on any of the menu's throughout the week.

Actually, no, as type 1 for the 28th year, I can't eat anything, it can be like juggling with fire :mad:

Last edited:

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not in favour of paying for, or contributing to, the cost of food whilst in hospital unless there are some very tight controls put in place beforehand. If people were asked to pay, then I think the first thing to happen would be that the suppliers would increase their prices, without there being a commensurate improvement in the quality or quantity of food supplied. So the main people to benefit would be the food providers, and there would still be no guarantee that low carbers would be catered for (until Govt. changes its dietary guidance). This profiteering has happened several times before, when the NHS has latched on to a new idea, or made some change or other, ultimately the NHS has lost out with skyrocketing costs. I have seen this happen so many times - it drives me nuts.

... erm ..... just a sec, while I get off my soapbox :meh:

ps: there would also be the added costs of the new army of bean-counters needed to administer the whole thing

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
Couldn't agree more, it seems everyone expects personal service nowadays, part of the 'me, me
, me' culture unfortunately.
No wonder the NHS is in crisis.
I certainly don't expect a personal service but would have thought that a hospital, of all places, could provide healthy food that's not laden with sugar and other carbs. I've never had a problem finding healthy food elsewhere, just in hospital!

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd rather they not feed people food that has a negative impact on their health while they're trying to cure them. "Sorry, sir, but we need to amputate your foot due to your diabetes. While you're waiting, have some pasta shells in cheese sauce, boiled potatoes, and rice pudding. It's super healthy for diabetics."
Yes but if they were about to amputate his foot, then I doubt he was controlling / low carbing in the first place, so a bit of pasta would make no difference. Besides he could have the Turkey Salad! ;)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Catlady19
You ar obviously content to risk damage due to the abysmal slop fed to us in hopspital.
I am not.
End of story!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but if they were about to amputate his foot, then I doubt he was controlling / low carbing in the first place, so a bit of pasta would make no difference. Besides he could have the Turkey Salad! ;)
A couple of years ago when my hubby was in hospital for an op there was a guy in his 60s opposite who said to the nurse - don't worry about any food for me love, I can't eat any of that my sons bringing me something in - a large Big Mac meal and a full packet of scotch pancakes later he was fed and happy - but minus bottom half of his right leg due to diabetes

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The point of the original post was that almost all the high carb food items were marked as suitable for diabetics, not that there were no low carb options. Following this kind of advice from the health care industry is what results in limb amputations.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Catlady19
You ar obviously content to risk damage due to the abysmal slop fed to us in hopspital.
I am not.
End of story!
Fair enough. I just think it is a bit of over exageration to say you would loose a foot by spending a couple of days in hospital. Besides, as I have said before there ARE low carb choices on the menu!
End of story!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Fair enough. I just think it is a bit of over exageration to say you would loose a foot by spending a couple of days in hospital. Besides, as I have said before there ARE low carb choices on the menu!
End of story!
Nobody said that you would loose a foot by spending a couple of days in hospital.

S

serenity648

The food that I eat is part of my medical treatment to control my diabetes. Therefore the NHS has a duty of care to ensure that the continuation my medical treatment, to reduce the risk of amputation, ulcers and blindness, is available to me.

Would we be even having this discussion of the person needing a "special" nutritious adequate diet was coelic? or had allergies? No, we wouldnt, because it would be seen as reasonable for them to demand a suitable diet which does not harm them

So why is it seen as over the top and whining for those of us, who are working hard to keep our medical condition at safe level, to want the same consideration?

I am rather surprised that fellow diabetics on here, many of whom have read and understood the huge difference low carbing can make for some of us, are being less than supportive to those of us in this situation.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The food that I eat is part of my medical treatment to control my diabetes. Therefore the NHS has a duty of care to ensure that the continuation my medical treatment, to reduce the risk of amputation, ulcers and blindness, is available to me.

Would we be even having this discussion of the person needing a "special" nutritious adequate diet was coelic? or had allergies? No, we wouldnt, because it would be seen as reasonable for them to demand a suitable diet which does not harm them

So why is it seen as over the top and whining for those of us, who are working hard to keep our medical condition at safe level, to want the same consideration?

I am rather surprised that fellow diabetics on here, many of whom have read and understood the huge difference low carbing can make for some of us, are being less than supportive to those of us in this situation.

Do you think a coelic would be complaining if not every item on the menu was suitable, or do you think they would simply choose the option that was there?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Do you think a coelic would be complaining if not every item on the menu was suitable, or do you think they would simply choose the option that was there?
BUT they would be complaining (and rightly IMHO) if a choice was labelled as suitable for coeliacs that was plainly unsuitable!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
BUT they would be complaining (and rightly IMHO) if a choice was labelled as suitable for coeliacs that was plainly unsuitable!

Many diabetics would have no great problem with those choices, as has been said.
I guess you need to accept you don't speak for them all, and move on, rather than insisting your personal diet choice be forced on every diabetic in the hospital.
Maybe things will change one day, maybe I'll be complaining my physiological insulin resistance and cholesterol is being forced up by the hospital insisting I go low carb high fat, rather than having the diet of my choice if I'm in there.
Who knows what the future will bring.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Many diabetics would have no great problem with those choices, as has been said.
I guess you need to accept you don't speak for them all, and move on, rather than insisting your personal diet choice be forced on every diabetic in the hospital.
Maybe things will change one day, maybe I'll be complaining my physiological insulin resistance and cholesterol is being forced up by the hospital insisting I go low carb high fat, rather than having the diet of my choice if I'm in there.
Who knows what the future will bring.
Change the record, douglas!
as per usual you flap your gums to what you want rather than listening to what has been said!
I was talking about coeliac, so of course most diabetics would have no problems1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Change the record, douglas!
as per usual you flap your gums to what you want rather than listening to what has been said!
I was talking about coeliac, so of course most diabetics would have no problems1

No, as usual, you're just being extremely rude.

C

catherinecherub

People may have different views but there is no need for personal, rude comments.
Thread bans will be used for posters who resort to ad hominem attacks.

Reactions: HelenMW