Abbot Blood Glucose Sensor

alishaaa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently was able to try the blood glucose sensor as having struggled with my diabetes in the past, although does not connect my pump I thought I'd give it a try and see. After having brought some once the sensor run out after the 14 days you are allowed it in I put a new one in.. they both read different sugar levels.. my finger prick can say 4.2 and the sensor will say 7.6.. has anyone else had this problem if they have tried it?

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The freestyle libre? Sometimes the day 1 readings can be out a bit. Should level itself by day 2.

It can also be about 10 mins behind your blood test result as it reads a different fluid (I haven't found this myself though).

If your bg is changing rapidly, this could also account for a difference in numbers too.

Reactions: alaska

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the sensors since I had a free trial at the hospital. I love it. I haven't had any issues with differences in readings. It can read differently as it is reading from interstitial fluid, not blood and can be up to 15 minutes behind. If you are concerned you should contact Abbot to see if the sensor is faulty. I have contacted them regarding a sensor that fell off - they were really helpful and they replaced it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use them and find them accurate enough, but I attach mine and leave it about 36 hours before activating it to give my body time to adjust to the foreign body under the skin. This seems to work better. I also finger prick 15 minutes before I scan if I want to do a comparison/accuracy check. I must add I am T2 on diet only. I'm glad I don't have to use them to calculate insulin doses. I do find them invaluable for spotting trends and seeing what is happening at times when I can't/don't finger prick.

Reactions: col101

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
.. my finger prick can say 4.2 and the sensor will say 7.6.. has anyone else had this problem if they have tried it?

I've only just started using mine and I'm doing a couple of finger pricks a day for comparison. So far only 1 apart, which isn't bad (within 15%).

Reactions: Bluetit1802

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had mine for two months now. I can now see that it reacts very well to what I have actually eaten and particularly how that appears to translate into overnight fasting blood sugars. I have stopped bothering to test with other methods because even if they are a bit different the freestyle will give me better trend information. I have found the internal freestyle fingerpricks and the sensor to be consistent

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had mine for two months now. I can now see that it reacts very well to what I have actually eaten and particularly how that appears to translate into overnight fasting blood sugar

I have stopped bothering to test with other methods because even if they are a bit different the freestyle will give me better trend information. I have found the internal freestyle fingerpricks and the sensor to be consistent.. I did call Abbott and get one replaced when the gap between the two was too wide - they will replace if for example you have three comparisons showing a bit gap . but I would leave it for a couple of days before you call rather than the first two days .