What is the Smallest meter??? Why not make smaller ones!!

alf15

Hi,

I saw the new contour USB and it looked very small and stylish and wanted one, but when I checked the dimensions of it, it turns out its massive!!

Can someone tell me what is the smallest meter on the market is?

As I am 27 years old male and have good eye sight and good control of my BS, the smaller more trendier meter the better!!

But all these diabetes companies don't seem to be making meters to suit the young people with diabetes, just older people with bad sight who need the massive screen display, like my ipod nano is tiny compared to some of the meters ive seen!

Some of the meters and carry cases out now are just massive! The meter I have at the moment is optium exceed by Abbott, which is small but I would love a smaller one to fit in my pocket better!

I'm nothing trying to hide the fact that I have diabetes, but I think a smaller meter, smaller finger pricker and case would be better/more convenient for the younger ipod generation.

Anyone else agree or am I alone on this?

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Re: What is the Smallest meter??? Why not make smaller ones!

Hi alf 15
Your message made me laugh.....i previously posted similar but without much luck
It's hard being a guy to conceal especially on a hot day when you may want to wear shorts with friends.....or out for the evening wearing trousers and a shirt. You will also note that the smaller monitors still have large carry cases and a vial that is too big in diameter!!!
I find the best is the one touch ultra easy wich comes with a small finger prick. sometimes i take out of the carry case and carry the 3 seperate items individually with a handful (approx 7no) of one touch strips that fit perfectly into a very small plastic 'blood test' container i obtained from the hospital!
Everyone will tell you to should keep them in the original vial, however i have tested this by leaving them in the container i note and the results were exactly the same when tested at the same time against those stored in the correct vial.....even months later.
On another note i would love to see a novorapid flex pen that could be reduced in size for the same reason you have seen as these are disposable
Good luck

alf15

Haha exactly, the test strip containers are hugh as well! Thats why I like the meter I have now, the test strips are in small flat metal packets about half the size of a condom wrapper (sorry only thing i could think of). That saves alot of space, but the meter and finger prickers are still big. Is it so much to ask for, small meter, small pricker and small carry case! I saw the accu check mobile and thought "yes, finally something compact and convienent, then i saw the size and i just laughed" its massive!! They must use people with gaint hands in their pictures to make the meters look smaller!

I think I'm gonna write an e-mail to these companies and see if they will take onboard my ideas/comments.

Couldnt agree more with you about the nova pens, surely they can make them half the size they are! My pockets to be crammed with stuff, here is what i have to carry around every day and nights out:

Wallet, phone, meter carry case, keys and nova pen! Think ill have to get a man-bag lol

They really need to think about how people use/carry their meters and pens etc!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The accucheck aviva nano is very small, the finger pricker isn't that small though. Maybe you could use it with a different finger pricker?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

HLW said:
The accucheck aviva nano is very small, the finger pricker isn't that small though. Maybe you could use it with a different finger pricker?

Likewise, I use the Aviva Nano, very small and compact, and it looks the business too!

Nigel

~shell~

I have just been looking at the USB and got carried away thinking it was perfect, then remembered I would still be carrying a finger pricker and test strips around too.
So I think I will also be sticking to my Aviva Nano for a while longer, but it is the smallest meter I have found so far. Well the meter is small, but I guess if the finger pricker got much smaller it wouldnt be very ergonomical.
And like nigel said - it is pretty good looking.

Shell
xoxox

jpg

It's hard being a guy to conceal especially on a hot day when you may want to wear shorts with friends

Yes - erm.. I find that my diabetes paraphernalia spoils the line of my designer shorts when on my yacht in St Tropez entertaining the WAGS - such an unslightly bulge. :lol:

Seriously, when you get to insulin therapy and the need to carry needles, pens, glucose tablets, spare cartridges etc etc you either need to be a woman with a large handbag or a metrosexual male who is not embarrassed by carrying a man-bag. Either that or be a serious fell-walker with those shorts that have pockets in pockets :lol:

jpg

howie

couldn't agree more with the pens being half the size!!! nightmare wearing slim jeans and carrying all this sh* t around.

whats the meter with the foil test strips?????

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I used the freestyle mini for many many years - now called the freestyle lite - and loved its size, its features and case. Only annoying thing was the drum the strips came in.

I now use the contour USB and have the same problem. I think its a lovely size, but then the case isn't very well made, with the drum and finger pricker being difficult to pack into the case.

One you might be interested in if its possible at all to fit a drum in those skinny jeans is the TRUEone. I have this for the odd night out and its both a tester and drum for strips combined. The drum is slightly bigger than normal but its handy if you don't want to carry around three seperate units. I'm not sure if you can get test strip refills for this. You'll still have to find somewhere to put a finger pricker too.
http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/product.php?productid=229&section=6

Barnsk

Dislikes
Illiterates (see above)

I particularly like the way in which the meter/strip manufacturers are happy to send you a free meter..assuming that you'll cajole/bully your GP into prescribing THEIR test strips for ever.
Product placement by proxy...
P.S. I find the Optiuum Exceed to be a good compromise between overall 'kit' size and usability.
And you're right - the strips DO resemble (small) packed condoms.
Not that I'd know about small condoms, of course...:)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Being an older Type2 I like the Ultrasmart, not small but good for anyone with impaired vision.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Yes, I'm with you on this one Sue......I have the same meter and also a smaller UltraEasy which has a large display, for when I am out and about. Very handy, easy to carry in it's pouch with all you are likely to need. Small isn't always beautiful.........

Ken

DogPsyche

Just got a Nano because I wanted to carry something smaller around in my bag than the Compact Plus but the **** pot of strips is bigger than the meter! :roll:

By the time I've packed everything in the case, it's actually only marginally smaller than the Compact Plus so there's no point in changing. :|

I've had other meters in the past with packets of strips - why are manufacturers still making bulky pots?

What I'm doing now is using the Compact Plus and Multiclix. No pots, no individual lancets. Simples. :wink: Shame I had to combine the two by getting two different meters (I know I could have bought the Mobile but wasn't going to pay £50 for a meter! :shock: )

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I, too, use the Compact Plus (17 test strips stored inside the meter) and have discarded the fitted softclix pricker and use the multiclix (6 lancets inside the pricker), and additional six-lancet inserts are very small. The compact plus meter is quite big, but not having to carry a pot of strips compensates for this, and the multiclix pricker does away with fiddly fitting lancets and disposing of each one after use (the used inserts go in household waste without danger. So if I'm out for the day I can do up to six tests without reloading anything or carrying much kit. The Accuchek mobile is the same size as the compact plus, and has a multiclix pricker attached, and has the added advantage of not ejecting used test strips but winding them inside the machine, so even more convenient when on the move. Only problem is it costs £50 and the test strip spools are very expensive for those of us who can't get the kit on prescription.