Just got my Contour USB

caspararemi

Hi all,
I ordered a Contour USB last week, after seeing the offer on the front page of this site. My current meter is a Contour anyway, so no big difference for me, and its' nice they use the same test strips and i can use the same lancets.

Anyway, it just arrived today and wow I'm impressed! It's so small and compact, I think it may be the best meter I've used in the last 14 years. I love the screen being so bright and easy to see and the software giving you a graph (though given I've only done two tests since getting it, it's not very useful just yet!).

I couldn't find a reviews thread for this meter on the forums, though the review on the main site did help me make my mind up about it, so thanks to diabetes.co.uk for highlighting it :D

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Using mine since release its the best meter ever, though I still use my accu check multiclix its my combo lol :D

peter7

Me too, just what I have been waiting for, small compact and easy to use with a computer. Very similar to a memory stick in operation on the computer, but a standard glucose meter in use. Cannot fault it, it has so many convenient features. It took a while to get used to the software because I misunderstood the instruction to download, when you have downloaded once there is no need to download the software again , it is on the meter.simply plug and play! My diabetic team are going to love my stats, but I can understand what is going on.

caspararemi

I think since getting this meter I've had the best glucose levels in years! I love being able to call up the stats and having such a friendly meter makes testing something fun rather than a chore. If there were awards for best meter, I'd definitely vote for this one to win! (I'm going to stop gushing now as I sound like I'm here on behalf of Bayer!)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Sorry folks, but my very recent experience with Bayer has not been good.

As an existing standard Contour meter user, I contacted Bayer by e-mail for more info about the USB device as I have been told it was illuminated and easily linked to a computer. Three further e-mails and I am still none the wiser, so I contacted Roche as they supplied my first BG test meter 10 years ago. Their Accu Chek staff could not have been more helpful and they were very happy to send me the illuminated Nano InfraRed meter FOC the next day for me to try ... and what a super little meter it is too! It has an infra red window that links to my laptop's infred red reciever window and everything works as per the instructions.
My DN was not up to speed about the Nano but she is now and was very impressed about the wireless infra red linking to the meter. When I left her she was going to find out more with the view to getting every tester to use the same meter and therefore make her job easier by quickly reading off from her computer screen how each individual have been controlling their BG.

So as far as I am concerned, it is Contour USB 0 and Nano 10.

adm

Well.....I've been using the Contour USB for almost a month now, and I give it full marks. It is however the only meter I have ever used, but it certainly seems to do the job effectively.

Not sure what more you needed to know about it being illuminated and easy to connect to a computer....after all, it's illuminated and just plugs into a USB slot. Simples! It's small and the USB port charges it up while it's connected to the computer too.

I had read some comments about it not working on a Mac, but i can also testify it works perfectly with my Mac.....

caspararemi

I use mine with a Mac too and it works perfectly :)

Hobs, I'm surprised you had problems getting through to Bayer, they're usually extremely efficient and get back to people quickly, guess you caught them on an off day :(

tommo1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had the Contour on a test trial about six weeks ago, and found it really good. The only drawback seems to be Bayer's attitude.
On the USB meter it suggests calling for the full software, and when you do, they say download it.
Tried to download it, over a month ago, and the website says it is temporarily unavailable, but is still unavailable to download. Was really unimpressed with Bayer's lack of care or information, and am planning to go back to my previous meter once i've used the prescription up of the test strips ordered.
Accutrend have a really good customer services base, and I can get replacement batteries and lancing pens without any difficulties. Think Bayer could learn a thing or two about customer services from them.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
tommo1968 said:
Had the Contour on a test trial about six weeks ago, and found it really good. The only drawback seems to be Bayer's attitude.
On the USB meter it suggests calling for the full software, and when you do, they say download it.
Tried to download it, over a month ago, and the website says it is temporarily unavailable, but is still unavailable to download. Was really unimpressed with Bayer's lack of care or information, and am planning to go back to my previous meter once i've used the prescription up of the test strips ordered.
Accutrend have a really good customer services base, and I can get replacement batteries and lancing pens without any difficulties. Think Bayer could learn a thing or two about customer services from them.

As you use Roche's AccuChek range, ask them to send you a FOC Nano (its illuminated) ... they sent me one and with its infra red port, there is absolutely nothing to plug into my laptop as it 'talks' through the laptop's own infra red port.
I shall never go back to Bayer and I could kick myself for leaving Roche in the first place.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I thought the software was already built in to the Contour USB......why do you need to download anything ? Anybody got this and know if that is the case or not ? The FAQ's on the website seem to indicate that....... :?

Ken

adm

cugila said:
I thought the software was already built in to the Contour USB......why do you need to download anything ? Anybody got this and know if that is the case or not ? The FAQ's on the website seem to indicate that....... :?

Ken

The software IS already built in. You just plug it into the USB port, navigate to it (it appears on like any other USB drive) and click on "Glucofacts.app" (on the Mac) to run it. I think there's an "autorun" file for Windows, so it should start automatically on a PC.

However - there is apparently another version of the software available for dowload from Bayer (or current UNAVAILABLE for download). I don't know what additional features this version has if any as it's currently unavailable!

Gazhay

Don't forget to go to their website and register your device.
From there you can order a wall charger, for free, which is a 3 pin standard plug with a usb socket on the top that you can plug the meter into to charge.

jpg

From there you can order a wall charger, for free, which is a 3 pin standard plug with a usb socket on the top that you can plug the meter into to charge.
This will be, or become, a very useful device as manufacturers standardise on USB connections for charging devices. It should be useable with your iPod, SatNav, many digital cameras and most modern mobile phones as well.

I have just received my Contour USB and I am well impressed with it. I'm using up a stock of strips I have for my One Touch Ultra Smart meters then I will inform my surgery of the change.

jpg

jocat44

Just wanted to say not happy. I got my Contour usb approx 3 months ago now. Straight away went on the website and registered and also requested the mains charger lead. Am having no luck with Bayer so ended up buying a suitable plug off ebay, not mega expensive or anything but it is the principle. Extremely happy with the meter but not happy with the customer service.
Jo

adm

Just to let any Bayer users out there know that the Glucofacts Deluxe software is now available for download at the Bayer website.

It's not much different from the software already on the meter, but it does have some added configuration options (as well as allowing more than one user) and it's nice to have the data permanently backed up to the computer.

It's also possible to edit notes on reading....but (GRRR!!!) still not possible to delete a false reading.

jocat44

Would like to say that I finally received the wall socket for charging today, it has taken a few months. Still a very good meter though which I like a lot.
Jo

Hector

The MAC program will only work on 64bit iMacs, mine is a 32bit, and although I run on Snow Leopard v 10.6.4 it won't load.
I've contacted Bayer technical help, and the program was only developed to run on 64bit machines. There are no plans to introduce a 32bit version, so although it is a nice meter, it is only designed for Windows and new Macs!!
Hec

yipster29

Convinced by the offer and the reviews I ordered the Contour USB. I use a Contour anyway so same strips etc a huge bonus.

I LOVE it!! It makes the tracking we know we should do so much easier and it's spurred me on for that bit more effort as I can see clearly if I've slipped.

Worth every penny :D

StevieBoy

Dislikes
Rocket, Early mornings, DIY
Apologies for the slightly technical nature of my post, but I wanted to share my experience with the glucofacts software that bayer offer to it's customers.

I use the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (home premium) on my laptop and after downloading and installing the glucofacts software (which I like very much), I started having a few issues with it. Sometimes the software would start, sometimes it wouldn't. Basically there seems to be some compatability problems with the glucfacts software and the java software updates that are installed on the machine running glucofacts. There is information here -

bayerdiabetes.co.uk/members/help.aspx

But after some trial and error I have found the best thing is to get Java JRE (java runtime environment) update 20 installed if you are on an early version (I was on update 13). You can get the software here -

java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/6u20/index.html

Try and stay away from update 21 as this gives some serious looking errors when the software starts (although the software still works as far as I can tell bizarrely).
Another last tip for anyone using glucofacts who starts to get the 'application will not start' problem - open your task manager and looke for a javaw.exe process. End this process from the task manager and try and start the software again. If you are like me you will find that this works as a temporary workaround....