Type 1: Please help? Needlephobe!

rubyking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, in January 2015 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was a complete shock considering I was 19 years old. The whole issue has turned my life on its head to say the least. Even to this day I struggle to come to terms with the illness and to say I cope would be an utter lie. Somehow I seem to stay breathing, however my management is appalling. I will be the first to admit I miss injections and don't test my blood, not to mention my careless diet. This however is not because of my stubborn nature but purely because of my needle phobia. Even having to look at my insulin pens causes me great distress. It is a major concern to both me and my family. I understand there are other options such as the pump, this is something that I temporarily tried and tested to no avail. Is there anyone who could perhaps offer some advice? Any knowledge or suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry for the predicament that you are in but what really helped me is the consequences of not being tough
And suffer a little for a moment rather then having a leg or foot amputated..take a look at some pictures on the web.and see
What to expect if one is not careful with diabetic management. I wish All the best

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are therapies for phobias. Some of them involve medications and desensitizing. You would probably have to have a psych consult but your doctor may be able to help you with it. Some people do well with hypnosis or acupuncture. Mostly I think Pura Vida is right, are the consequences of poor control not worse? No one likes needles but you do get used to it over time. I hope you get it figured out and live a long, healthy, beautiful life.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, in January 2015 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was a complete shock considering I was 19 years old. The whole issue has turned my life on its head to say the least. Even to this day I struggle to come to terms with the illness and to say I cope would be an utter lie. Somehow I seem to stay breathing, however my management is appalling. I will be the first to admit I miss injections and don't test my blood, not to mention my careless diet. This however is not because of my stubborn nature but purely because of my needle phobia. Even having to look at my insulin pens causes me great distress. It is a major concern to both me and my family. I understand there are other options such as the pump, this is something that I temporarily tried and tested to no avail. Is there anyone who could perhaps offer some advice? Any knowledge or suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

welcome here rubyking :)
oh sweet you... sad that you have to cope with this condition when being so Young...
I think too you must ask your GP help you get a therapy at some persons that are able to learn people to cope and even get rid of their phobias..

please do take care of yourself, you are so Young that if you do take care of your Health and diabetes then maybe you will live to see a cure... I think it will be found , maybe by transplants made from ones own tissiu , but surely the scientist will end up finding a cure... I´ll wish you all the best of luck from now on... and by writing in this forum you have taken an important step towards taking responsibility..

I use my phone to remind me as I also keep forgetting to take my pills and a lot of other Things I ought to remember by myself, my phones rings many times everyday to remind med of different Things...

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. I really feel your anxiety as I too was really needle phobic. Prior to being diagnosed as Type 2 I was almost in two minds about returning to the doctors surgery to have the second fasting blood test. :eek: My hubby told me that I had to do it and go, which I knew I had to. But if there had been a way out I would have taken it.

Anyway, this was over a year ago and I'm now a LOT better with needles. So, what has helped me? Well, the fact that if I don't I have to face the potential consequences of not having blood tests or knowing whether my blood sugar is high or low. But importantly, and I think one of the most helpful was attending a CBT (cognitive behavioural course). I completed one on Managing Panic, Anxiety and Worry. I had another "issues" at the time but it's a great course as the techniques train us to re-train and re-programme our brain's way of thinking.

I know as a type 2 diet controlled diabetic, I don't need to inject so I won't pretend how that feels. But, I have got to the stage where the thought of a flu jab doesn't make me break out in a cold sweat and practically pass out through fear! And yes, I had my flu jab this year for the 2nd year running.

These courses are free and depending on where you live, you may not necessarily have to go through your Dr.

Do you have someone that can help with doing your insulin until you feel more able and comfortable about doing it yourself? I couldn't even self test my blood glucose and had to get hubby to do it. He did this for me when I wanted to check it for around 5 months. Eventually, I thought "Well what's the worse that can happen? It may hurt?". So, at Xmas time last year, relaxed by a drink or two I did it for myself for the first time. It made me jump a little at first but I learnt to adjust the depth of my lancing pen and he no longer does it for me.

I hope sharing my experience helps you. BIG hugs to you. Take care of yourself. x

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Welcome @rubyking :)

I had and still have a needle phobia. It's mostly controlled now but every so often I feel it bubbling under the surface. Funnily, I'm ok when I'm doing the needles, but freak out when it's a nurse or somebody else.

How I dealt with it was by 'thinking past' the injection. It's hard to explain, but I didn't think about what I was doing, I thought past that to what I was about to eat/do. So obviously I'm concentrating and looking at the needle because I have to, but my conscious mind isn't thinking or looking - it's busy 'thinking past' the needle.

I taught myself to do that over the first weeks of diagnosis, but there's psychological help available - do seek as much help as you can until you find something that works for you.

I have a pump and that's a lot better. What was the problem with the pump for you?

Don't despair - phobias can be beaten, or at least reduced enough to allow you to give your diabetes the care it needs. Avoiding complications and feeling more myself on a daily basis is a good motivator for me.

Reactions: pinewood
M

mist

This must suck, personally I quite like needles and injections in general. I find the whole process quite interesting.

It's a common phobia though and there's lots of methods for beating it.

Try hypnosis?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds really horrible given how often we need to inject. I know CBT has a good track record with phobias and should be available through your gp or privately, so does hypnosis. BD do a needle called autoshield where you never get to see the needle not see it pierce the skin maybe your dsn or BD could let you try them? Good luck

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@rubyking Have you thought of trying a piece of ice wrapped in cling film to desensitise the area?

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Poor you, what a nightmare
When I was on my DAPHNE course one of the others had a needle phobia and he had special needles to inject with that were covered and you couldn't see and this seemed to work. Unfortunately I haven't got any details but your heathcare team should be able to help, also for testing try the FreeStyle Libra as once its in you see nothing

Sarahlou404

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try using an anaesthetic cream on the injection site. I'm terribly needle phobic and this allays one of my fears.
I buy mine over the counter at boots and cover the cream with a tegaderm dressing

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
I was the same way when I was first diagnosed (hit the needle out of the nurse's hand). It got to the point to where they had to hold me down and a Doctor would give me my insulin. Eventually, I was told to think of it like a life or death situation. If you didn't take the insulin, you would die. That made me make sure that I took my insulin. Hope this helps.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @rubyking :)

I had and still have a needle phobia. It's mostly controlled now but every so often I feel it bubbling under the surface. Funnily, I'm ok when I'm doing the needles, but freak out when it's a nurse or somebody else.

Strange.. I got no issue with needles I've dealt with some big buggers over the last 41 years. & even wig out dentists & nurses with jabs. Scoring them on skill.. (Yeah, I hold up a "virtual" score card.) Lol. To be fair 99.9% do a great job with the flu vaccine/ taking of blood or dental anaesthetic?
But I do have a high threshold to pain... but some that "administer" or take samples do shake...

The eye jabbers. Regarding my current macular treatment. Have quite honestly got to be the best in the buisness... :cool: I let em know it too! They are quite frankly the "dog's!!"

Last edited:

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely hate needles. Getting my hba1c tested takes all my courage!

I've been T1 for 19 years, since I was 12. You know, I don't even think of my insulin pen as being an injection. The needle is so this and am all I think that's why. Also because most of the time you barely even feel it.

Maybe try thinking about it that way. This isn't a needle, this is just another activity like putting your socks on.

And save the fear for the actual needles like me xD