LCHF Diet now been put on Statin

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was offered statins - not because my cholesterol is high (it isn't) but because "it's standard practice for to offer all diabetics a statin".
I politely declined and would have done the same if it had been high - I am unconvinced about the benefits of artificially lowering cholesterol on heart health and prefer to keep my heart healthy by running regularly and keeping my fitness at a high level

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I can't function with a statin a day, what is the point of being alive at all?
I do wonder how many people are being looked after and lovingly given their statins each morning, then led to the bathroom.....

Reactions: Freema

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @wookie101 I used to take Pravostatin "because all diabetics should be on statins" and I had dizzy spells, couldn't sleep and they caused my hba1c to go up from 48 to 54. I came off them due to the dizzy spells and my hba1c is now 37. My DN still tries to get me take another type but I always refuse her kind offer!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Try to keep it real, not everyone gets side effects from statins just as not every one gets side effects from any other drug, if you believe as most people do that it is beat to keep your cholesterol under control as a diabetic then try the statin and keep an open mind and dont worry and stress over something that might not happen.

If you do get any side effect then deal with it then but dont wish them on yourself.

Totally off topic.
Wife is cooking Christmas lunch and I've just opened a bottle of Cava and just popped on here to waste some time and to wish everyone a very merry Christmas.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@daphne & Sid, thank you for your positive comments.

I must say that I posted to get a view on statins and those taking them, I hadn't realised that it would turn out to be such a divisive topic.

However, thanks for everyone's comments on getting some more detailed readings back from the doctors. I'll do that when they reopen after xmas and get that back on here.

Although I must say that going on to metformin turned into an ordeal, unpleasant at first and now managed. I'd expect my statin experience to be the same as I do intend to start them in January as I want to give myself the best opportunities to stop this condition in its tracks and do what works best for my body with my unique genetic make up, so I was after some positive and negative feedback from statin takers.

All that said and done, this site has been an eye opener and a life saver to all of us I'd say...

So I'll update in a few days keep your comments coming and...

Ho Ho Ho... Merry HogsWatch to one and all....And slight abandonment for a few merry days....

All thank you!

Reactions: Prem51

hamrag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed T2 2009 . last Hba1c Oct 2016 down from 46 to 42, Cholesterol 5.2 up from 4.7 ( on statins) Decided to stop Statins after considering Pro's and Cons. at the same time as commencing on LCHF, 9Months ago, Lost 2 stone and much fitter, walk 5-8 miles a day. My diabetic nurse not happy that I had discontinued my Statin, and pointed out that my Cholesterol level had increased, However when I asked for a breakdown of the results she revealed that my LDL HDL Ratio had improved So I came away Quite happy. would be interested in others views on the issue of LCHF and Chloeterol.

lindisfel

Expert
Some of you will know that statins, like warfarin, are vitamin K antagonists so they may well thin some patients blood slightly according to certain medics and therefore may reduce strokes. At the same time on the minus side due to their action with vitamin K they can cause arterial calcification.

But if you eat a lot of broccoli, spinach and kale it should help reduce their affect plus taking Coenzyme Q10 which statins block and shouldn't.
Derek

Reactions: Prem51 and jonbvn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why a consultant (onclogist) recommended aspirin if the stomach can take it, which mine can.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Cranberry juice also thins the blood and is best not consumed when taking Warfarin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me, I think all people will get some reactions to some tablets.

Some people believe the good spin of cholesterol tablets, some don't.

I was crucified by them, but I am inotlerant of a lot of tablets. So nowadays, I cannot just put this down to statins only. Ie. Tablet for stomach gave me chronic fatigue and exhaustion. Nowadays I cant even look at side effects, until at least 28days of taking -and get hubby to look. I am too scared of being told I let the thought of side effects to allow me to think I have some of them! Not good.

I would say, make up your own mind. Get an online accoint at GP or get your GP to print levels off for you. You could try for another 3 months lchf to see if cholesterol improves...if it doesn't then you have given it a fair chance and its time to decide then what choices to do.

Maybe just this time, remove the cream and cheese or certain things that you may have top heavied on...

Last edited:

PekkaJ

That's why a consultant (onclogist) recommended aspirin if the stomach can take it, which mine can.
Hi,
Aspirin may or may not be a good thing. You may, anyway, check what FDA currently thinks about Aspirin:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm390539.htm
"However, after carefully examining scientific data from major studies, FDA has concluded that the data do not support the use of aspirin as a preventive medication by people who have not had a heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular problems, a use that is called "primary prevention." In such people, the benefit has not been established but risks—such as dangerous bleeding into the brain or stomach—are still present."

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agre about aspirin. It is another drug with another side effect. Unfortunately the insides of bodies aren't so visible as a chronic head from a stomach.

However, at end of day. Its individual choice.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All and Happy New year.

So I called the Doctors and I was told that the test for cholesterol wasn't the one that does the HDL and LDL separated out it was just one that does the rounding up and that was 6.3.

And I asked for my HbA1c which is now 48 although that wasn't unexpected having just had 1 month on hols in USA and well.... Now needing a GOOD New Years Resolution!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All and Happy New year.

So I called the Doctors and I was told that the test for cholesterol wasn't the one that does the HDL and LDL separated out it was just one that does the rounding up and that was 6.3.

And I asked for my HbA1c which is now 48 although that wasn't unexpected having just had 1 month on hols in USA and well.... Now needing a GOOD New Years Resolution!

Your doctor wants you on statins because you have high cholesterol? This needs explanation from the doctor because how does he know you have high cholesterol without the full breakdown? Your total cholesterol could well have gone up because your good cholesterol (HDL) increased. All he knows is your total cholesterol is higher than he believes to be acceptable. He doesn't know anything else.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please ask for a full breakdown test to measure ldl and trigs before you agree to statins.
I think if the doc realises you are aware of breakdowns etc he wont say no to a re test.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Been taking a statin for on and off for 5 years now on LCHF. Not sure if it does any good but stops the doc moaning at otherwise high(ish) LDL levels. It doesn't give me any side effects and if it did I'd stop taking it. It maintains my cholesterol ratio (which I think is the better measurement) around 3.5 to 4.5 depending on if I've taken it over the last few months or not. Out of the 4 things to worry about (BG's BP weight and cholesterol) I rank it last. I'm far more concerned about BG's and BP and keeping at a reasonably healthy weight.

The last time I looked there were two main study's. A study in Norway (if I remember) of 50000 people found that cholesterol level in women was not related at all to cause of death and for men it made little difference but a cholesterol score of around 5.5 had the least deaths. Note this was a study about levels of cholesterol found at death from any cause not about the effectiveness of statins which is different. A similar 50000 people study in the UK forms the basis of why diabetics are told to take them as that study did show a beneficial effect in taking a statin. So take your pick!

Last edited:

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I've been reading through this interesting thread as I've got my GP appointment in a few days time and when I saw the DN just before Christmas for blood tests, there was a 'warning' that if cholesterol levels had gone up (again) then there would have to be a 'conversation about statins'. I'm following LCHF and when I got the results, I put these in to the calculator that's been mentioned and all the ratios come back as 'IDEAL' -so with a cholesterol total of 5 (LDL-2.3, HDL-2.1, TRI 1.1) which is up from 3.7 when first diagnosed with T2 in June 2015. However, my BP is consistently 65 / 110 and my HbA1c is now down from 84 to 38.... with a 25kilo weight loss. I know it's a personal choice, but I feel like I should be resisting statins - I do find the 'moral pressure' quite hard and yet I know that I am sensitive to any medication and always get side effects!
A quick question -although I have lots of veg, oatbran, nuts and seeds, I've developed quite bad constipation over the last 3 months... I take 500 MetforminSR and Vitamin D -nothing else... any suggestions gratefully received x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I've been reading through this interesting thread as I've got my GP appointment in a few days time and when I saw the DN just before Christmas for blood tests, there was a 'warning' that if cholesterol levels had gone up (again) then there would have to be a 'conversation about statins'. I'm following LCHF and when I got the results, I put these in to the calculator that's been mentioned and all the ratios come back as 'IDEAL' -so with a cholesterol total of 5 (LDL-2.3, HDL-2.1, TRI 1.1) which is up from 3.7 when first diagnosed with T2 in June 2015. However, my BP is consistently 65 / 110 and my HbA1c is now down from 84 to 38.... with a 25kilo weight loss. I know it's a personal choice, but I feel like I should be resisting statins - I do find the 'moral pressure' quite hard and yet I know that I am sensitive to any medication and always get side effects!
A quick question -although I have lots of veg, oatbran, nuts and seeds, I've developed quite bad constipation over the last 3 months... I take 500 MetforminSR and Vitamin D -nothing else... any suggestions gratefully received x

Regarding statins, if you find the doctor pressurises you (which he shouldn't do) you could always nod, take the prescription and bin it.