Type 1 & Thyroid problems

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi All, at my last diabetic review my bloods showed irregularities with my thyroid levels, initially looked under active but last results after speaking 27th practice nurse looked verging on overactive, I haven't changed my duet but have put on 4lbs in last month. Has anyone else had a similar situation & has it affected your diabetes control at at all?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Soplewis12
I have been T1D for 44 years -- last year I was diagnosed hypothyroid -- my weight has steadily increased over the past few years
my diet has been the same for years -- moderate carbs ( 110-150 per day )

symptoms have been tired /sleepy at all times of day , freezing cold / a bit weepy .

I know it does not mimic your pattern but just want you to know you are not alone -- hopefully we will get some more PWD posting soon.

Reactions: Soplewis12

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had hypothyroidism and lost 3 stone, I was taking meds for it at the time (2 year)but it was not working, I ended up having to take a radio active iodene tablet which best part done my thyriod in but now I am on thyroxcine tablets and all my bloods are normal

Reactions: Soplewis12

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an over-active thyroid diagosed in 1972. Before treatment it did affect my control quite severely. At first, I was put on a drug to suppress the thyroid, but this make me put on around 28 lbs very rapidly, so they dropped the dose which made it become over-active again. In the end I was referred to a surgeon for a partial thyroidectomy. I think you need to be seen by a consultant to get to the bottom of your strange blood test results. Have you got an appointment to see your GP over this ?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over / Under active thyroid is certainly a possibility since with T1 you obviously already have at least one Autoimmune condition.
So you could be looking at Graves or Hashimotos, at the end of the day it doesn't matter which since both are treatable. As Gaz said for Hyperthyroidism (Over active) in the longer term they tend to go with radio iodine which knocks your thyroid out. You then have to be treated with thyroxine for the rest of your life, though that's just a tablet so nothing like T1.
If you are underactive then that would suggest they weight gain so I would say that's the most likely thing here. Treatment there is thyroxine tablets, so same as above just without radio iodine to first kill off your thyroid.

One thing to bear in mind is that it can take a while for them to dial in on dosages since they tend to work of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) levels which can take weeks to react to changes. When they were getting my doses right after RAI I was going back every 9-12 weeks for a thyroid function test and then change of dosage.

As has been mentioned when your dosage is not right it can cause some unexpected variability in your insulin requirements, both basal and I:C ratio.

The only thing I can suggest is that you look at this as an obvious change and start with basal testing and then double check all your ratios as there will likely be differences. When they adjust your thyroxine (if under) or Carbimazole dose (if over active) you should expect changes so will likely need to watch for it.

/A

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to clarify, I was told that they won't use radio-active iodine in a female patient who may want to have children.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
there is actually a thyroid forum away from this if you want advice specifically related to it.

you will need a bunch of other bloods done then next chance you get such as vit d, B12 Folate, and a few more. If you can get your test results on a print out you'll be in better shape to get some advice.

Padavies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm in a sort of reversed situation to I've had an under active thyroid for at least 14yrs they told me then I had high blood sugar levels but couldn't do nothing about it other than to treat my thyroid problem coz my high blood pressure was counteracting with my thyroid which means I didn't put on weight either, I've recently been been diagnosed type 1 diabetic and since I've been put on insulin and following the diabetic meal times I've put on a bit of weight. I hope this helps you