What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was obviously too late with food too as despite the drop to 8.2 with the latte I was back to 9.3 post breakfast and there was not a lot of carbs in it. It is dropping again but very slowly. I think I may have to keep a boiled egg handy for these mornings I am in a rush. I am on school runs most days and I have the boys a lot post school /nursery so it keeps me busy.
A boiled egg on its own doesn't block my rise (liver). I have to have fatty meat or mayo with it to block me. @Chook try egg mayo or cheesy egg omelette. Or omelette with cream and water, instead of milk unless soya milk if no thyroid issues.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was thinking of buying pork scratchings but too much saltfor me at mo.
Anyone seen a low salt or good salt pork scratchings? @Brunneria are you still eating them?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A boiled egg on its own doesn't block my rise (liver). I have to have fatty meat or mayo with it to block me. @Chook try egg mayo or cheesy egg omelette. Or omelette with cream and water, instead of milk unless soya milk if no thyroid issues.
Just had a thought. I need a breadcrumbless scotch egg! Or anyone found a breadcrumb substitute?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just had a thought. I need a breadcrumbless scotch egg! Or anyone found a breadcrumb substitute?
Crushed up pork scratchings worked well or crumbled Lidl Protein Roll. I loved Scotch Eggs.

The nicest pork scratchings I've had came from Home Bargains and are in a yellow and blue packet. I think they cost 29p.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, an egg would raise me especially without fat like mayo or avocado. Protein doesn't raise everyone but it does me and much more so in the morning.

I need to start paying attention to my nut consumption as well. They don't really raise me per se but they do stop me from coming down. Might even have an effect on my next meal. Hard to find another far snack without dairy. Olives or lc veg with mayo based dip I guess.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of buying pork scratchings but too much saltfor me at mo.
Anyone seen a low salt or good salt pork scratchings? @Brunneria are you still eating them?

Yes indeed. I have Black Country and Angelsey Posh ones in the cupboard as I type. Both very different, but great tasting. The bloack country ones are kind of Quaver-like, and the Posh are proper traditional scratchings. Neither brand is high salt, but you would have to check the nutrition labels to know if they would fit into your plan.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today has been a fat and protein only day, in an attempt to settle things after my too carby weekend.

B: none
L: 1 egg, 2 rashers bacon
D: 2 very small chicken breasts baked under grated cheddar.

I am hoping to resist the chocolate urge... But if i succumb, it will just be 2 squares 70%. Honest.

Reactions: Judlepip

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clever you. I love it.
I'll make some at the weekend. Love it. :) :) :)
I used it yesterday on battered out chicken breast. Because it was on chicken I added some fresh chopped parsley and some paprika. I have been known to add some almond flour too but in smaller quantities to the finely ground pork scratchings and parmesan. I would tend to 'double dip' too. Beaten egg - crumb - chill - egg - crumb. Scratchings give it a nice crisp coating. Enjoy - it works well. I mentioned in yesterday's post that I fed it to the whole family and they thought my crumb had improved! They still don't know what they were eating.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A egg works for me. The usual is just to feed my body something (apart from today which I couldn't fathom at all). I got back to 7.1 and have been sitting at that level for quite a while. The only time I have to feed my body a little carb is if I am going to the gym - if it doesn't get carbs it goes up and takes a while to come back down. Still will see what tomorrow is like as this has been a very low carb day.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

B. Raspberries with yoghurt.

L. Houmous and few walnuts

45 minutes swimming? ( cold finally gone only headache remains)

D. Sea bass with onion and courgette.

Pomegranate pot.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a teaspoon of creme fraiche whenever I got the munchies until

D: Crack slaw with halloumi on the top, I must be doing it wrong, nice as it was, I didnt rave over it. But with NO change on my meter it gets added to the roster

Will have some choc later have some 90% somewhere

Lunch was an hour in the gym

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Would have been standard breakfast omelette, bacon, tomato mushroom and cheese, but forgot the cheese, not as nice!

Late afternoon, tapas - couldn't refuse, our local bar had cooked it all specially for us, sin pan, sin arroz, sin patatas, sin pasta! Somebody helpfully told them we were going and what we would eat!

So we ended up with pigs ears and cheeks (I am not joking!). Mince cooked in tomatoes with braised courgettes, some stew or other with chick peas and deep fried lamb intestines (apparently a delicacy from Madrid).

So, no idea of the carb count (guess there would have been some thickening agent in there) we only had a tiny dish of each, but killed my appetite so no dinner, just cheese and an avacado for supper.

2 glasses red wine.

Reactions: Chook

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
B: Spinach & Fetta Frittata w/Tomatoes & Mushrooms fried in Olive Oil
L: Celery Soup, Slice of Low Carb Toast w/Chipotle Cheese, Red Onion & Green Olives
D: Chicken Thigh Fillet, Cauliflower & Broccoli Cheese, Green Beans, Broccolini, Brussel Sprouts & Gravy
S: Strawberries, Raspberries & Blueberries w/Greek Yogurt & Flaked Almonds

2 x Creamy Coffee, 3 x Peppermint Tea, 2 x Tea w/Splash of Cream