Help me work this out

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Work constant night shift and finished this morning with really good bs levels get up and still ok.have a couple of cups of coffee and go shopping don't have anything to eat when i am out.
Come home don't feel like eating anything bust have some weetabix and a small pice of ginger cake,this is all I have had to eat and feel sh** with bs reading of 10.7 why?

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James. I would say it is the weetabix and ginger cake along with the milk on them and in your tea that have sent your sugars so high, all are very high in carbs. I would think it is the high sugar levels that are making you feel unwell.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You ate high carb foods, so your blood glucose levels went up.
If you'd made something like scrambled eggs, grated some cheese on top and eaten it with tomato and green salad your levels would probably have remained good.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you'd made something like scrambled eggs, grated some cheese on top and eaten it with tomato and green salad your levels would probably have remained good.
That's sounds delicious.... My breakfast sorted for tomorrow.... Never been a salad eater but just had salad and chicken and really enjoyed it.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks
Was thinking that weetabix was supposed to be good for you but apparently not

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
Was thinking that weetabix was supposed to be good for you but apparently not
Pretty much all cereals, milk and cake is off limits. I love bacon and egg though.

Weird how I grew up and was always taught they were bad for you.

The western diet recommendations for the past, 30 years have a lot to answer for.

Talk about getting it wrong big time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for any foods labelled 'healthy' as it is likely to kill you if you persist in eating it.
I am just roasting a chicken - it smells wonderful, and I will eat it with low carb vegetables. I have bags of them in the freezer, very convenient.
Any food which comes in a packet ought to have the carb content on it somewhere - not the traffic light system on the front which only rates sugar, you need the carb content, which is written much smaller and on the back. Can't think why (writes she with some sarcasm)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely! Or throw some cuts of bacon or ham in??

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was stood in a cue at the co-op today when a lady grabbed a huge box of shredded wheat that was on offer, I thought to myself there was a time she would have had to fight me for that box but not any more she was welcome to it.

The only cereal I eat now is porridge in exceedingly small quantities.

Reactions: Freema and KezG

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Come home don't feel like eating anything bust have some weetabix and a small pice of ginger cake,this is all I have had to eat and feel sh** with bs reading of 10.7 why?

The answer is in the question. That's the problem with this condition, you have to choose what you eat very carefully, especially something like a snack, and it will even catch out the old and wise.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may be able to tolerate a lidl high protein roll with cheese toasted for breakfast test and see
CAROL

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allowing that you had 2 weetabix and 200 ml Skimmed milk with a further 200g of Ginger cake plus 2 cups of coffee, that equates to 930 Calories of which 162g carbs, 22g Non Sat Fat, 18g protein, 7g Fibre, 87 g Sugar.

In comparison, my daily food intake is 362 Calories, 23g Carbs, 22g Non SatFat, 13g Fibre, 11g Protein, 6g Sugar,

IMHO, it is not the amount you are eating , but what you are eating. Personally whilst your quantities are reasonable for Joe Average, for a diabetic, I regard you as on a high carb regimen. 87g of Sugar!!!

Would love you to try this menu for one meal and see how you feel?

Snap Peas 34g
Sprouts 150g
Cauliflower 66g
White Cabbage 100g
Courgette 84g

Throw them in a steamer bag in the microwave for 2 x 3 minutes and add 150g poached
chicken breast
(OOps! , I forgot to include a knob of butter , and seasoning in the vegetables - Thanx AFoxy

Hope this offers one possible alternative that can assist you?

Last edited:

srm100841

Work constant night shift and finished this morning with really good bs levels get up and still ok.have a couple of cups of coffee and go shopping don't have anything to eat when i am out.

I'm joining the thread in that it seems to me your issue is the amount of carbohydrate you've been eating. My agreed diet with the dietician originally consisted of smaller amounts but more frequent, of what I'd always eaten. Year on year my levels increased! I then discovered this forum and opted for a low carb diet and - hey presto!! My levels dropped from double figures to single within weeks. Now some 7 years later and after some adjustments, my levels average in the mid 5's at all times of day.

Like others who've responded I ditched potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and all cereals. After trial and error I ditched milk also cream in coffee but can still happily manage clotted cream on berries. If I had the time then I would have a fried breakfast, a low carb lunch, ditto dinner and 2 low carb biscuits (Cheddars), cheese and fruit for supper. My own dier is low carb - high fat and this works for me.

We're not all the same I should add quite clearly. However try a period of low carb to see the outcomes. Another piece of advice is to keep a food diary to count carbs. It's amazing how this spurs you on.

Good luck.

Steve

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's what I have done Steve and o am seeing the same results.BS in mid 5s and I have probs lost some weight as well
All thanks to 'this fourm

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for the quick replies
Also every night I have a mega headache could this have something to do with levels?

Sometimes a headache can be a sign of dehydration.

Try drinking half a pint of water and see if that clears it; also check your wee afterwards. If it is very dark that is another sign of dehydration.

Headaches can also sometimes be muscular due to a stiff neck or back.

If you get regular headaches with no obvious cause you should check with your doctor.