Tax on junk Food a possibility.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It is possible however that 17.5 per cent tax could be levied on high fat food such as butter and cheese.

I don't eat high fat foods as a rule, however, I do like to have butter on my small slice of bread. I like some strong Cheddar Cheese as well. I eat healthily because I restrict my portions of all these things.....am I now to be taxed for eating small portions of what do not affect me ? I always thought they were natural products anyway ? Small portions hurt no one !

I am not technically a low carber BTW, just have reduced them and use low fat, low GI/Gl method to control my Diabetes and Cholesterol levels very successfully.

You just couldn't make this up, could you........ :?

Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Once again they sensationalise fat as the baddy in the diet.

the most processed food are likely to be targeted.

What is processed about butter and cheese ?

These are natural products !

Tax proper 'processed' foods full of HFCS and various chemicals that are doing more harm than the natural fats. Taking fats in controlled portions is far healthier than eating loads of chemically enhanced food.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ieat low carb and consume quite a lot o butter and cheese over time.
Hana
I eat almost nothing that I don't prepare myself.
I would resent taxes on my basic foods.
Hana

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Can't bl**dy wait, I hate junk food and im trying to eat healthy foods to go with the weight training I do but its so tempting to buy chocolate when im hungry and can't afford chicken or some kind of meat :!:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it will work in my humble opinion - junk food is like cigarettes and alcohol - no matter what it cost if you crave it you will pay for it.

I live on a main street in a large village that boasts a sandwich shop, a deli with pizzeria, a chippy and a Chinese takeaway - you see the same people getting bacon buttie breakfasts at the sandwich shop lunch at the chippy and takeaway in the evenings - it will take more than a tax to stop them - and its a sad fact that most of them are teenagers :( and I always wonder how they manage to afford it! -

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
lovinglife said:
will take more than a tax to stop them - and its a sad fact that most of them are teenagers :( and I always wonder how they manage to afford it! -

Yes, I know what you mean. The amount of people at the college I go to has so many people who just eat crisps/chocolate as a snack!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The FSA states that they want to introduce a tax on junk food to reduce the amount of deaths due to saturated fat , which is fine, but unfortunately it will have little impact on reducing consumption.

Those who's eating habits are mainly made of junk food will not change their ways, much like the chancellor putting taxes up each year on alcohol and cigarettes, people still buy them come what may. I try wherever to eat as healthy as possible, but should I choose to enjoy a takeaway meal from time to time, why should I be punished for enjoying a occasional treat!

Like others have stated, I too enjoy eating butter and cheese, but I know what amount is acceptable to me, and which is detrimental, so to levy a tax on these foodstuffs would be unfavourable to those who choose to eat these foods sensibly and in moderation.

Nigel

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
yes but noblehead if its a treat every so often it wont effect your bank account to much :) However it will stop people like one of my mates who eats takeaway every night, either kebab, chinease, indian, pizza :?

JamesA

The cheese and butter thing is an excuse for scared companies to stop this altogether.
These companies are no better than drug dealers.

I'd like so see a minimum age of 16 put on these foods as well.
This would stop our obese kids spending their lunch and pocket money on these instead.

Products like diet cola's with cancer-causing chemicals and additives that make children hyperactive should definitely have the words "not suitable for children" on them.

It will make a difference when people are going round the supermarket.
If something is more expensive and properly labelled as unhealthy it will work.

The problem at the moment is if you stopped to read everything your weekly shop would take about 2 hours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Beav said:
yes but noblehead if its a treat every so often it wont effect your bank account to much :) However it will stop people like one of my mates who eats takeaway every night, either kebab, chinease, indian, pizza :?

Very true Beav! :D

At least that mate of yours varies their diet every night! :lol:

Nigel

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
It will never happen because it is impossible to define 'junk food'. Its just to grab the headlines, thats all.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
candyfloss said:
It will never happen because it is impossible to define 'junk food'. Its just to grab the headlines, thats all.

Maybe not junk food but if there is over so much % of saturated fat then you get taxed more! :)