Cholesterol numbers?

leak

I saw a previous topic somewhat similar to this... What kinds of food can be eaten that are intended to lower cholesterol numbers (especially LDL)? Are there many that can be used in a somewhat-low-carb diet?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi leak,

I am a great believer in lowering cholesterol levels by natural means, although I know this isn't always possible in some people. The general advice is to eat a well balanced diet with ample fruit and vegetables, whilst cutting back on your saturated fat intake. Here is a site that gives good practical advice on which foods are most beneficial in lowering cholesterol:

http://www.all-about-lowering-cholester ... terol.html

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello leak and welcome. :)

I would add a rider to the above. Many of us cannot tolerate the carbohydrates so it is advisable to self test before and 2 hours after your food so that you know what it is doing to your BG levels.

Personally I can't eat the starchy carbohydrates - so no bread, cakes, biscuits etc or pasta, rice or potatoes. :roll: My cholesterol is now fine!

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
I make my own bread - Panasonic's SD255 model is lhe best thing since thinly sliced chorizo replacing bacon in a pea and ham soup. I use organic flour from Bacheldre Watermill (google them) - once you've spent £25 quid with them, postage is free. Using the basic recipes in the book, add between 25 and 50 grams of oats to each loaf, and use olive oil instead of butter (add a little extra for luck - the bread will stay moist longer).

Obviously that isn't enough in itself to lower cholesterol, but combined with other low cholesterol measures, it helps.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
RWS
It has been found many times in studies that low carbers[who eat fats] have the lowest LDL and triglycerides.
However
Those probiotic fermented milk drinks may actually yelp a little .
If you ditch saturated fats, you probably won't find any difference in your cholesterol.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
RWS
It has been found many times in studies that low carbers[who eat fats] have the lowest LDL and triglycerides.
However
Those probiotic fermented milk drinks may actually yelp a little .
If you ditch saturated fats, you probably won't find any difference in your cholesterol.
Hana

I do not low carb (technically) and I also eat low fat, although I do eat small amounts. My LDL and Triglycerides are very low despite not eating high fats. When I did eat higher fat levels my cholesterol levels rocketed. I suppose we are all different. :wink:

Ken

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
This is my experience:

Before diag with T2, the Dr wasn't worried about a chol of 6.4 (15 years ago)
At diag my chol was 7.6, (10 years ago) & I was given diet advice, not statins, & adding oat bran & benecol/flora pro-activ together with the NHS/DUK diet reduced it to 5-5.5

About 5 years ago, the recommendation for diabs to be below 4 came in & I was given 10 mg simv, which caused intense muscle pain (though I did not realise the cause until I read a letter in Balance.) The pain stopped when I stopped simv, & the Dr did not think I should try other statins.
He tried me on niacin, which raised my BG & still caused muscle pain.

About 2 years ago, crippling neuropathy set in - I joined this forum & followed the advice of some to reduce carbs. That reduced my BG, restored my activity & also reduced my chol from 5.4 to 4.3. Its now between 4.5 & 4.8, & I am content to live with that. I have to weigh the daily benefits of a pain free active life against the possible risks from slightly raised chol.

That reduction from 7.6 to 4.7 (40%) is by diet alone, as they don't claim metf has any effect on chol.

milly

Niacin worked really well for me although my doctor didn't know of it until I told him.

A key thing to know about niacin is that it only affects cholesterol whilst you are asleep so it's no good taking it during the day. Did your doctor mention that ?

High overall cholesterol isn't actually bad for you, but by too much Low Density cholesterol (LD) will clog the arteries if not cleared away. High Density cholesterol (HD) is what clears away the LD. Therefore provided you HD is at least 2.5 times greater than your LD it's OK.

Niacin works by increasing the High Density cholesterol which is far better than reducing the overall cholesterol as Statins do (this is actually a complete waste of time although the drug companies wont admit it).

One side-affect of Niacin is that it causes flushing, which can be uncomfortable, but not dangerous. For me it happens about three hours after I go to bed. Typically I'm asleep so I only notice it approximately once a month.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
NIACIN.

Niacin, also known as vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid, is a water soluble vitamin which is a vital component of the human diet. Like other water soluble vitamins, the body expresses excess niacin, meaning that a continuous supply needs to be consumed.

In addition to reducing bad cholesterol and elevating good cholesterol, niacin also contributes to the regulation of a number of bodily processes, including metabolism and cell repair, in the form of derivatives which are created in the body through biosynthesis. Niacin also appears to reduce triglyceride levels in the blood.

Most people get enough niacin from a balanced diet which includes foods with plentiful amounts of it. Women require around 14 milligrams of niacin each day, and men need slightly more, 16 milligrams. Over 20 milligrams a day can bring on skin rashes, liver damage, and changes in the body's natural insulin levels.

Common sources of niacin, along with other healthy vitamins and minerals, are meats, wheat germ, dairy products, and yeast.

Under rare situations, a patient may need to take a niacin supplement. Caution should be used when adding niacin to the diet, however, as an excess can be harmful and can lead to health problems, so supplemental niacin should only be taken under medical supervision.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-niacin.htm

The reason Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) is taken at night is because it may possibly cause Postural Hypotension so it is safer to take it then, it will still work day or night once it is in your system however.

It is a matter of opinion as to whether high overall Cholesterol is good or bad.....personally I think it's bad, as are any of the levels which do not fit into the acceptable lipid levels, LDL,HDL or Trig's.

Anybody considering taking this should always consult their GP/Consultant/Nurse before doing so. There are multiple possible side effects, interactions and all in all, not something to be taken lightly.

As for Statin's......we have had much discussion here about the benefit or not depending on your view of taking them. My personal view is they do me good and have reduced all my lipid levels. so I favour them but not in every case.

Statins reduce the amount of cholesterol produced in the body. Your body produces cholesterol naturally, and it’s essential for many of your systems to work, but too much cholesterol can increase the risk of heart disease. Statins reduce the amount of cholesterol that your cells make, forcing them to instead gather cholesterol from your blood stream, and thereby reducing your blood cholesterol level.

Statins reduce the levels of ‘bad cholesterol’ – the low-density lipoprotein or LDL. High levels of LDL can lead to the build up of fatty deposits in your arteries and can lead to coronary heart disease.

A large amount of research has shown that lowering blood cholesterol reduces your risk of heart disease and heart attacks.

Ken

mazbee

Having a lower cholesterol level can also cause problems.

cholesterol-and-health.org.uk/overall-death.html

cugila

Master
Dislikes
mazbee said:
Having a lower cholesterol level can also cause problems.

cholesterol-and-health.org.uk/overall-death.html

Type 2 Diagnosed December 2009
HBA1C: Dec 09 - 7.5, Apr 10 - 6.4
BP: Dec 09 - 134/90. Apr 10 - 120/60
Cholesterol: Dec 09 - 5.5, Apr 10 - 4.8
Weight: Dec 09 - 15 Stones, April 10 - 13St 12lbs

So I take it you are going to raise your own Cholesterol level then.......... :wink:

Ken

mazbee

My GP thinks it is still too high and wants me to lower it!!!!!

I was happy with my 5.5 but I was threatened with statins unless I reduced it.
Both my parents have had bad side effects on statins, so I am not keen to take them.

It seems you can't win whatever advice you follow :roll: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi mazbee.
I know what you mean. I was on the 'infamous' Simvastatin, bad side effects. Changed to Atorvastatin and no side effects at all apart from lowered Chol/lipids.

Personally I think your GP is right, I have already had one heart op due to 'furred up' arteries.....a brother dead at 49 due to the same thing. I wouldn't want another heart op so I believe that your Chol should be lower, more in keeping with modern medical opinion. Personally, if I take a tablet and live longer......that's the one for me.

The trouble with the net there is always somebody who has a website that rubbishes the mainstream opinions........some diet, a reason why you should take this supplement, why X or Y is bad for you, why X or Y is good.....it just goes on. Many are just out to make money, cranks, you just have to read ALL the available evidence and then....it's make your mind up time !

Me......I made my mind up to listen to the people who deal with it on a daily basis, Cardiologist's and Endocrinologist's....the real experts in this area. The ones who see the results of people following 'crackpot' advice....... :(

Ken

tmylward

Your liver produces cholesterol ONLY while you sleep. See...
http://www.paragonheart.com/high-blood-cholesterol.php
...under What You Can Do - step 9

The need for cholesterol is immense. High cholesterol is a symptom, NOT the cause. See...
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/M ... terol.html
ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

I like to make my own decisions based on information I find, my own experience and the experience of others. Not on the advice of doctors who's only course of action seems to be a desire to maintain the profitability of drug companies.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
The previous post regarding Cholesterol are all US sites, so will need all the mg/dl numbers converting to mmol/l which is the measure used here in the UK.

The conversion formula is as follows:
mg/dl to mmol/l = multiply mg/dl by 0.0259 = mmol/l.

cugila
Forum Monitor

badmedisin

Is it supposed to be below 4 if you're diabetic? Mine is 5 and the GP always says it's fine but I'm not entirely convinced.

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
I don't understand why if with diet and exercise I can maintain a BS level below 7 daily post meal and a Hba1c in the 5's why I should be expected to have a CH level of 4. I read in Kendrick's CH Con that this was more likely to kill me as a 48 year old female. M

cugila

Master
Dislikes
justfoundout said:
I don't understand why if with diet and exercise I can maintain a BS level below 7 daily post meal and a Hba1c in the 5's why I should be expected to have a CH level of 4. I read in Kendrick's CH Con that this was more likely to kill me as a 48 year old female. M

That's just it, you have to take everything into account, not just the fact that your Bg numbers are good......there are many more risks associated with Cholesterol than how it might affect your Diabetes.

I suppose too, it all depends on whether you believe what Mr Kendrick writes or not. Some of us have other opinions also based on reading, mostly from other medical opinions. I prefer to believe the information from sites such as this one from H.E.A.R.T UK a Cholesterol charity which also has this medical advice fact sheet.
http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... oteins.pdf

There are many more sites and books available that flatly contradict Kendrick and his claims. A man who has been ridiculed by many. I have no idea who is right, I just go with what I personally believe to be right. I think that is all anybody can do. What I object to is people who tell me that I am doing it wrong because Kendrick says so. I am happy with what I do. That should be good enough for anybody.

I have had one major Heart Op and no way do I want another, so for me.......I want my Cholesterol as low as possible. That's just me. If others want to take the risk that high Cholesterol levels are good for you.......your choice. I just like everybody to see and consider both sides of the argument before I make my mind up. :| I like to debate the issues, not be told this is the only way, the correct way.

I also don't get uptight if somebody wants to do things differently.....live and let live (or die) I say. It is their's and mine's choice. Life is all about decisions........

Desirable limits for blood cholesterol levels.

The main aim of treatment in most hyperlipidaemic patients is to reduce the risk of premature angina or heart attack, and to reduce the occurrence of further heart attacks in people who already suffer from coronary heart disease. The New Joint British Society Guidelines recommend that for certain patient groups (listed below), along with lifestyle and blood pressure control the total cholesterol level should be no higher than 4 mmol/l and the LDL cholesterol should be below 2 mmol/l:

My levels are well within the guidelines and I plan to keep them that way.........despite Mr Kendrick and his like.

Ken