Freestyle libre sensor

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi don't know if anyone has done this but I fitted my sensor on in the evening and overnight it must of bled a lot and tried to clean up around it and the sensor just came off and it had only been on like 12 hours I am so annoyed with the loss of £50 and can do nothing about it as it was strictly my fault :( :(

Reactions: dex44lego9

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried speaking with Abbott? Always worth it as they might just offer a replacement.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused as to how it's your fault?

That adhesive was supposed to work for 14 days. If it's fallen off in less than a day it was sub-standard and needs to be returned as faulty and replaced.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad luck. The Libres aren't very reliable, or perhaps more accurate to say they demand more precision in use than it's reasonable to expect from us mere humans. You can contact Abbott via email and they will eventually send you a new one. They will want the failed one back and will provide a proper sealed packet, postage paid.
My Libre fell off yesterday 2 days short of its fortnight. It was my fault cos I got too hot working in the garden. But it gave me valuable info for 12 days and, just as important, nights as I slept, so I reckon it's worth the occasional hassle. Good luck.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
don't email them, call instead, they should replace it by the sound of it.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not just assume it's your fault. Some sensors have poor adhesive. They should withstand water so should also withstand blood. Abbott are usually very helpful and unless you are asking to replace many sensors they usually will send a new one foc with a packet to return the old. If I think a sensor might come off I cover with a Tegaderm patch. It invalidates the Abbott warranty but if it gives 14 days, nothing lost.

Leight0n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I pick mine up next month. Taking in to consideration everything I've read about them I think I'll be slapping a big plaster over it!

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm also buying mine at the end of this month in preparation of becoming pregnant. I think I have read and watched every review I can find and as they are doing free P&P at the minute I'm taking the plunge

ljmorton

I had commented many times on their FB posts about the high cost, then received an email offering me a free meter and one sensor. It has been enlightening seeing what my true pattern is and it appears that my insulin is peaking too late to deal with a meal, so will be using it a bit earlier. Because of the high cost, I will not be able to use it continuously but may opt to do it for two weeks per month to see what my trends are.

Reactions: Deb1million

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi don't know if anyone has done this but I fitted my sensor on in the evening and overnight it must of bled a lot and tried to clean up around it and the sensor just came off and it had only been on like 12 hours I am so annoyed with the loss of £50 and can do nothing about it as it was strictly my fault :( :(
Ring the customer care line

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I'm also buying mine at the end of this month in preparation of becoming pregnant. I think I have read and watched every review I can find and as they are doing free P&P at the minute I'm taking the plunge
Speak to your Diabetes nurse about the trial packs some seem to use

Peter A Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've been using a Libre for about 4 months now, and its been a real revelation with info on trends particularly. Because of it I've changed my basal insulin to one with a longer action, and adjusted my carb : insulin ratios, so my control is much better.
I've never had a sensor cause bleeding, but I have had two fail prematurely - the first one because I caught it on the edge of a doorframe and ripped it off - ouch ! The second one failed after a week after I'd spent much of the day in & out of the water at a spa, and water got in. Abbott kindly sent me a replacement promptly, and reasonably asked me to return the failed one postage paid.
I cant agree that the Libre is unreliable, as far as I'm concerned it's a Godsend, albeit that they're not cheap.
Pete Jones

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having had type1 for 53 years ,and very sore ,hard fingertips ,I will complete a 14day/one sensor trial (offered by Edinburgh Royal Infirmaty ) .So I have a decision to make ',it is a straight forward choice ,the bmany benefits and improved life against the very high cost /Where can I make savings ? So I read with a very keen interest all comments .I have had several conversations with Abbott regarding costs but have failed to find any avanue to cost reduction .One area 'the read only last 3 years 'What happens then ,do Abbott replace it free ? Sorry to read about all the. "Sticking on problems" cut I think I must go for it ,
Wjohn

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I've been thinking about getting one of these and am going to speak to my diabetes nurse tomorrow at my annual review. One thing I wondered was how far the "probe" goes in. I know you can only put it on the back of your arm but I don't have a lot of fat on my arms. I have never injected there as I didn't think there was enough for the needle to go into in spite of it only being 5mm long. I've got bingo wings but I can't very well stick a sensor on them and when I straighten my arm I can feel the bone just underneath so I wouldn't want to spend all that money and find I can't use it because I'm too thin.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott kindly sent me a replacement sensor after one fell off. I had been swimming but I had covered the sensor with a patch of Tegoderm. Libre is too expensive for me to use all the time, but I'm pleased to use it on occasions for monitoring. I hope the design can be developed to be more secure.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Gloucestergirl I too have arms that are too skinny for me to inject in - I call them my chicken arms, which now I think about it doesn't actually work, but never mind - and it has never been a problem for me. The spike really is very tiny, and by the time you've got through all those layers of skin... It goes best on the back of the arm, but I have also put it more on the side on occasion.

Good luck with your annual review tomorrow!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad luck. The Libres aren't very reliable, or perhaps more accurate to say they demand more precision in use than it's reasonable to expect from us mere humans. You can contact Abbott via email and they will eventually send you a new one. They will want the failed one back and will provide a proper sealed packet, postage paid.
My Libre fell off yesterday 2 days short of its fortnight. It was my fault cos I got too hot working in the garden. But it gave me valuable info for 12 days and, just as important, nights as I slept, so I reckon it's worth the occasional hassle. Good luck.

I'm considering getting a Libre, but I still have menopausal flushes.. I call them my tropical moments. Often at night.. will this affect the sensor staying stuck ?