leg pains/numbness and twitching

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
I have pains like cramps and numbness in my legs below the knees, mainly the calf muscles, its tingly, feels like cramp and also gets numb, it is especially bad when lying down at night and sometimes my lower legs twitch, I wriggle alot to ease it and move my feet like I did when is hospital for a major op last year, is this to do with Diabetes? I don't have swollen ankles, I have very skinny ankles but I am scared as a lot of Diabetics get feet and leg problems. I was diagnosed in September, my eyes are ok and I managed to go from 14 stone and 40 inch waist to just under 13 stone and 36 waist from very strict carb and sugar control and swapping sparkling water for fizzy pop.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is more likely a mineral deficiency such as potassium or/and magnesium. It could also be low salt. All these things cause calf cramps.

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get this from time to time and had it years before I was diagnosed, I usually find drinking a glass of tonic water helps a lot due to the quinine, failing that a couple of ibruprofen usually settles in within an hour.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I get similar but totally in top of legs to my knees.

My cause is intolerance to anything with aspartame and artificial sweeteners. Also certain hard tablets... depending what the bulking agent is or the coating on the tablet..

Ie over christmas I decided to try drambuiee and diet coke just to test out. Aspartame intolerance had been missed off my records , for 8 years I wasnt told. My legs went totally off the scale with feelings like constant muscle cramps/pulling and absolute chronic twitching.

I have also now decided yo stop taking my final cancer drug option as they affected my legs (and a lot more). I decided. Quality of life now comes before quantity of life.

Could be neuropathy etc but I would really consider hat foods you eat and drink, are you getting sufficient vitamins, and whether you intaking aspartame or any recent tablet / meds changes

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is more likely a mineral deficiency such as potassium or/and magnesium. It could also be low salt. All these things cause calf cramps.
thank you i know i have been strict re salt as well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I get this from time to time and had it years before I was diagnosed, I usually find drinking a glass of tonic water helps a lot due to the quinine, failing that a couple of ibruprofen usually settles in within an hour.
thank you i could try that

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I get similar but totally in top of legs to my knees.

My cause is intolerance to anything with aspartame and artificial sweeteners. Also certain hard tablets... depending what the bulking agent is or the coating on the tablet..

Ie over christmas I decided to try drambuiee and diet coke just to test out. Aspartame intolerance had been missed off my records , for 8 years I wasnt told. My legs went totally off the scale with feelings like constant muscle cramps/pulling and absolute chronic twitching.

I have also now decided yo stop taking my final cancer drug option as they affected my legs (and a lot more). I decided. Quality of life now comes before quantity of life.

Could be neuropathy etc but I would really consider hat foods you eat and drink, are you getting sufficient vitamins, and whether you intaking aspartame or any recent tablet / meds changes
I cannot take aspartame as it gives me such bowel pains and makes me feel dizzy, I drink sparkling water instead of pop now and use stevia, I am on medication for pyschiatric problems. I had cancer last year but after a hysterectomy and removal of tubes and ovaries all is clear and no medications now for that.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you take a diuretic? For blood pressure maybe?