Libre Sensor Allergic Reaction

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've been using the Libre for about 9 or 10 months now, but the last sensor I had on for a 14 days was itchy and when I removed it my skin had a red circle and was raised and very sore. I put on a new sensor last night but had to remove it because it too was itchy. Once again I have a red rash and that's only after 10 hours or so.

Have they changed the adhesive at all? Is anyone else having bad reactions?

I had some BS answers from Abbott: "the glue cannot make you have a reaction...", "it has been tested", etc. I'm proof that it can - and twice!

Thanks,

P

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well a the hospital where I was in 7 month some years ago I ended up being allergic to the glue in what they fastened the drops on my arms with... so of cuse in some rare occasions people can get allergic to something that most people are not allergic to...

tell them you can prove otherwise..

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
reaction to the libra adhesive is well known, many try using some form of barrier cream or 'under-plaster' - you are not alone in having a reaction, I've basically given up using the libra because of this, tried various methods to avoid the dreaded reaction with varying outcomes, forgotten the name of the product but a heel blister plaster used under the sensor was best at avoiding it but I found accuracy was affected.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes something as simple as an antihistamine tablet can work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was my main concern when I invested in a Libre.

I have been fortunate, and the glue has never caused a problem. Although I did get a reaction to one sensor. Just one. I wondered if I had left a little soap on my skin and then put the Libre on top? Although I did use the alcohol wipe, so that is unlikely.

If I get soap trapped under my rings, I get exactly the same reaction, which is why I wonder...

No other problem before or since, although I have seen people comment that reactions to the glue are quite common.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen lots of folks talking about these issues, and on one of the early Libre threads, there was a whole stream of complaints, and pictures. I'll see if I can think which thread it was. If it can be found, it might be worth emailing it to Abbott?

I must admit a while ago now, when I had to escalate a support issue (nothing to do with adhesives, or the products for that matter), I found once I managed to find the correct person they were extremely helpful and looked after me very well.

I hope you can get this resolved.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've been using the Libre for about 9 or 10 months now, but the last sensor I had on for a 14 days was itchy and when I removed it my skin had a red circle and was raised and very sore. I put on a new sensor last night but had to remove it because it too was itchy. Once again I have a red rash and that's only after 10 hours or so.

I had some BS answers from Abbott: "the glue cannot make you have a reaction...", "it has been tested", etc. I'm proof that it can - and twice!

Thanks,

P

Paul - I've just done a Forum search, and returned the following:

upload_2017-1-17_19-10-10.png

The bottom thread is over 200 pages long, so you'd have to do some further digging, but I'm sure the other 4 threads, and maybe some Facebook entries (I believe there are Libre groups) could prove your issue.

Let me know if you hit a brick wall and I'll see what I can dig out of my correspondence with Abbott.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Struma

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, it is a very real problem.

Your story sound just like mine, I had exactly the same about 3 months into using the Libre. Abbot were unhelpful, and said that it can happen, stop using it for a while before trying again.

My solution, found on this forum, probably in one of the above threads, was to use a Compeed blister plaster, mark out a circle around the applicator, measure the centre and punch a 4mm hole in the plaster. Put the plaster on, carefully align the applicator and apply the sensor so that the probe goes through the hole. Although there has often been a raised red area the size of the hole after 14 days, it worked well without any significant irritation for about a year.

However since then, about 3 months ago, at some point during the 14 days the Libre will start to read in the range 1-3mmol/l low. This morning I woke up to a lovely flat graph reading LO, but a finger prick reading 5.1. I have now given up with it and yesterday ordered a G5 system, it remains to be seen if I will have a reaction to that and if I can afford to continue using it long term.

At the beginning my GP recommended using a steroid cream and my diabetic consultant Piriton tablets. As I already had a solution I did not try either.

It may well be worth your while trying one of these techniques, it may keep you going for a while.

I wish you good luck.

Tim.

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll stop using it for a while. I am loathe to give them more money when they've been unhelpful and don't even recognise it as an issue until I pressed them. I've seen people have fixes for it - which is a great thing - but I will just stop for a bit. My diabetes is enough of a hassle without me having to do Compeed origami and buy special under-plasters. :)

Also, tried to yellow card report it but I don't think it went through as I got an error message. What a waste of time!

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all I would love to test them for a year or so as when I had a trial of them they worked well. Yes you can get an reaction from the glue as I am allergic to the plaster the use to stick instruments and swabs to you

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had terrible reactions after my 6th sensor, cavilon spray worked for a while but then that lost its effect. I read online elsewhere (sorry can't remember where) of someone who used pirinase nasal spray before inserting the sensor, so I tried it, I now have no reactions at all :) I spray the area where I am putting the sensor with a few squirts of pirinase, let it dry, then once dry I gently wipe over the top of the area with a cavilon barrier wipe (not spray), insert the sensor and it lasts the full 14 days with no reactions :)

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had terrible reactions after my 6th sensor, cavilon spray worked for a while but then that lost its effect. I read online elsewhere (sorry can't remember where) of someone who used pirinase nasal spray before inserting the sensor, so I tried it, I now have no reactions at all :) I spray the area where I am putting the sensor with a few squirts of pirinase, let it dry, then once dry I gently wipe over the top of the area with a cavilon barrier wipe (not spray), insert the sensor and it lasts the full 14 days with no reactions :)
(Just to say, obviously I am no expert and pirinase isnt suitable for everyone, I am only posting what worked for me).

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gonna reopen this thread.

I have become unfortunate enough to have reactions to the Libre adhesive. Abbott of course claiming that I've just become allergic to it and some people do. However I've seen huge influx of people in March 2018 who have been using the Libre from anything between their first time and years who have "suddenly become allergic".

I'm sure, as are many others, that Abbott have either changed the adhesive or strengthened it. And it's really causing problems to many people who have used it for years with no problem at all. Abbott are still very unhelpful with these issues and do nothing but send you a very basic adhesion guide.

With the order delays and the denial of problems with the adhesive, I'm begining to really dislike Abbott.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I feel your pain. I was a happy libre user for about 9 months, buying it as soon as it became available in Australia. I then started to develop an allergy, but lived with the itching because I liked the device so much. Unfortunately, later in 2017 I found that the sensors started to read LOW by larger and larger amounts, and after nights of LO readings when my bs was in the mid-normal range, I finally gave up and went back to finger pricking. Abbott Australia and NZ were good about replacing sensors and even the reader, but unwilling to discuss the fact that the device just doesn't work for some people. I have one sensor left, which I'll trial before its expiry date, but not really optimistic. I'm interested in dexcom but would want to trial it before making a big upfront payment....

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your pain. I was a happy libre user for about 9 months, buying it as soon as it became available in Australia. I then started to develop an allergy, but lived with the itching because I liked the device so much. Unfortunately, later in 2017 I found that the sensors started to read LOW by larger and larger amounts, and after nights of LO readings when my bs was in the mid-normal range, I finally gave up and went back to finger pricking. Abbott Australia and NZ were good about replacing sensors and even the reader, but unwilling to discuss the fact that the device just doesn't work for some people. I have one sensor left, which I'll trial before its expiry date, but not really optimistic. I'm interested in dexcom but would want to trial it before making a big upfront payment....

That's a shame... I always wonder if Dexcom will be much different, will my skin agree with the adhesive. Will it be more accurate? All I can say is I hope more companies hop on the CGM bandwagon, therefore bringing the price down and forcing them to improve drastically, more features etc...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That's a shame... I always wonder if Dexcom will be much different, will my skin agree with the adhesive.
That's exactly why I want to trial before I buy. And also one reason why I'm reluctant to move to a pump, both becasue of allergy to the pump and because there'd be no point in moving to a pump without a cgm because I start to lose hypo awareness once my HbA1C goes much below 7....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam And Ellie, I too used it for a while and then started reacting, I've found an antihistamine helps with the itching but doesn't totally stop the reaction - I use Piriton but others are available. On the dexcom front I have heard quite a few switch from Libre to dex because of the reactions and find they don't react to the dexcom.

GTB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks,

P
Hi Sam And Ellie, I too used it for a while and then started reacting, I've found an antihistamine helps with the itching but doesn't totally stop the reaction - I use Piriton but others are available. On the dexcom front I have heard quite a few switch from Libre to dex because of the reactions and find they don't react to the dexcom.
Hi,

Thanks,

P
I have been using the freestyle device now for two years. The last sensor I used was mildly irritating but has left a circle of red sores which are gradually fading after one week. The replacement sensor came off a few minutes ago and, sure enough, underneath I have red sores. I like the device but to say that the glue cannot make you have a reaction is simply not true. Until now, I have never had a problem and I do have allergic reactions to some things from time to time. I wonder if it could be related to the seasons. I'm going to raise it with Abbott as it seems that too many people are reporting this.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the freestyle device now for two years. The last sensor I used was mildly irritating but has left a circle of red sores which are gradually fading after one week. The replacement sensor came off a few minutes ago and, sure enough, underneath I have red sores. I like the device but to say that the glue cannot make you have a reaction is simply not true. Until now, I have never had a problem and I do have allergic reactions to some things from time to time. I wonder if it could be related to the seasons. I'm going to raise it with Abbott as it seems that too many people are reporting this.

It is pure and simple contact dermatitis, nothing to do with seasons, they haven't changed the adhesive but yes many many people suffer from it and Abbott are reluctant to acknowledge it - perhaps they might change the glue when they release version 2 - that might be worth asking?!