Dominos pizza.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
John Yudkin wrote 'Pure White and Deadly' about sugar in the 70's. Unfortunately Ancel Keys railroaded through the belief that fat was to blame for everything (with no real evidence aside from cherry picked studies) and here we are in a low fat high carb world with obesity and diabetes at record highs.
I used to love a good Dominos pizza but now I can happily live with out. Even my daughter, a non-diabetic, was shocked when I tested her blood sugar after a high carb meal - Pizza, corn, coke and it was 10.8! Mine after my own very satisfying LCHF meal (not pizza) was about 6.5 :)
Everything is deadly in large enough quantities even water if you drink too much of it so if it helps people to think of sugar as poison I'm fine with that.
People sometimes look at me as if I'm mad when I say sugar is addictive like a drug but the same people talk about 'sugar rush' and 'sugar highs' and getting their sugar 'fix' - so the exact same effects people look for from other drugs. I used to get the sugar cravings, I'd get irritable if I didn't get it. I am a much calmer person now with out the sugar highs and lows. Let them eat pizza - at current rates 3 out of 10 will be diabetic or pre-diabetic already. The other 7 are the lucky ones maybe if they have the genes that can deal with sugar/starch. But interestingly of my immediate family - who are not diabetic - all of them agree they felt better, more energy, less niggling ailments and easy weight loss or maintenance when they\ve cut the carbs and sugar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we can all agree that anything that any of us chooses to say should be considered our own opinion, and not a decree from Caesar, without us having to actually put the words "in my opinion" in there somewhere.
There are (in my opinion) way more restrictions on someone with T2 who is attempting to maintain control of their sugar level with out the use of insulin, than there are in the diet of someone who is not actually diabetic and can eat anything they choose to. No. Sugar/carbs will not be viewed the same by two random people in a supermarket checkout line, and that's okay. But, thinking of something that makes you, as an individual, ill, and that you need to avoid, as poison, is a very useful psychological tool.
There are as many different ways of controlling diabetes, in all its forms, as there are people with diabetes. I don't think it's fair to rip apart one persons coping strategy, simply because you disagree with something that was said mid-rant.
......... Just in my opinion, of course.

Musicians, not renound for common sense.. ;) However the traveling that comes with the territory? Keeps our minds wide open! :)

"Now that's what I call" a Nice post! (Did you get the 1980s compilation tape reference?) :cool:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now we've gone all the way through, moving off pizza onto pure sugar, re-classifiing sugar as poison, I'm feeling hungry.

Maybe a slice of Hot and Spicy, thin and crispy crust. (I could eat an entire large pizza in one go previously)
Although, at 13g of carb a slice, I might still be tempted to have more than one slice.

And, yes, apparently normal non-diabetics people have spikes up to 11.1,
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The dictionary definitions of poison describe the action of sugar in the bodies of diabetics. Therefore sugar is poisonous to diabetics.

It causes injury, illness and death, by chemical means. It impairs health and function, causes structural damage, injures the body and destroys life. It may happen slowly, and it may be treatable with meds, but without dietary control, or meds, diabetics will in time die from too much sugar.

Just because arsenic isn't fatal in small doses, doesn't stop it from being a poison, does it? Exactly the same with sugar, and any other food or chemical that can kill if ingested in large enough quantities.
Yes I of course we know sugar is bad for diabetics that goes without saying but the inference from JohnEGreen was that it was poison for everyone

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I of course we know sugar is bad for diabetics that goes without saying but the inference from JohnEGreen was that it was poison for everyone

Well, it is no coincidence that the diabetes epidemic, increased obesity and heart disease all coincide with huge population dietary changes - where sugar, carbs and processed foods are eaten in larger quantities and in more processed concentrated forms than ever before in the history of civilization. So the problem extends far beyond 'sugar is bad for diabetics', doesn't it?

And it is being shown on a global scale. The effect of these poisons on each individual depends on how much they eat and how much their body can tolerate, but it certainly isn't restricted to diagnosed diabetics.

Reactions: hornplayer

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never eaten Domino's pizza but in the ingredient list for the base are
Wheat Flour, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Sugar, Salt, Stabiliser: E481 Sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, Whey Powder (Milk), Sunflower Oil, Bakery Enzyme, Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid, Flour Treatment Agent: E920 Cysteine; Yeast, Whole Maize Flour.

Some of them are normally not found in a good "real" Neapolitan pizza: water, salt, fresh beer yeast and flour type 00. With this recipe you have to wait at leas overnight for the rising of the dough, and then you have to make the pizza in the day and use an oven at 480 degrees Celsius, either wood heated or gas heated, where the pizza cooks in less than two minutes. Sadly not all pizza parlor are making pizza like this and serves you some un-pizza like thing.

The problem with food chains is that the streamlining of food preparations implies the use of a lot of preservative and extra substances and the preparation is different, making their food "junk" food.

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love low carb and it's really working for me. No intention of eating carbs, just annoyed that about to have a team meeting where everyone will be scoffing dominos. Can't sit it out either. Just a moan. I'm literally sat there watching people eat loads of ****.

Haha I love this! I'm a student and you can imagine when everyone in the flat gets a dominos and you just sit there and watch them eat it! :rolleyes: Atleast we don't feel guilty after ey! I'd rather stick to my chicken :p

Reactions: hankjam

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Lighten up folks! @ JohnEGreen merely stated it was his opinion that carbs = sugar = poison.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and come on here to voice them. Wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed all the time!!

At home, we all have a laugh about different 'poisons'. If my daughter is cooking a particularly high carb meal, she'll point out if it's a 'poisonous' meal, and if I wanted to join them she'd either swap a few ingredients or make something different for me.

So with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I'd agree that a pizza would be 'poisonous' for me. In fact I can recall the last one I had made me very ill indeed (a few weeks previous to my original D diagnosis).

Keep smiling - it makes everyone wonder what you're up to