Support thread for those of us who dont lose weight

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to see what cardiologist says. Ive never needed statins due to walking everywhere but im being investigated for heart failure. Im going to ask if statins protect the heart, as well as reduce plac.
But statins don't reduce plaque - there is at least one study proving that they actually increase it :(

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @urbanremedyasia and welcome to the forum! Are you diabetic? A lot of people on this forum have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has lowered our blood sugar levels and usually weight too.
LCHF means cutting down on starchy carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, bread, noodles and pasta as much as possible, as carbs turn to sugar in our bodies. And we eat more healthy fats like dairy, oily fish, avocadoes and nuts to replace the energy from carbs. Also more protein (eggs, meat and fish) and vegetables.
Have a read round the threads to see how this works and ask any questions you want. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

LWTTD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love to be a part of this group. Since I turned 50 a few years back I have not been able to keep the weight, gaining no matter what I do.... I have been type 2 for 2 years now and it seems it is even harder to maintain any weight loss and I don't want to try any of those fad diets cause they never keep it off once you start eating again.... I was able to lose about 15lbs last year but that was because I was extremely sick with my stomach and it took the doctor about 6/7 months to get my stomach right again. (Don't recommend this for anyone) I have been able to keep the weight off but whenever I eat a tiny bit extra I always gain weight and it takes lots of will power to get rid of those few pounds again. I am tired of all those people who say "You can do it, all you need to do is........." like I haven't tired multiple things without any results. Thanks for starting this thread.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I'm restarting low carb healthy fat with low salt and careful protein substitutes for carbs on friday. Too much protein for me raises my bgs too, not just carbs.
Low bgs don't help me lose weight either just keep me diabetically healthy.
I might monitor calories just to keep an eye on too much fatty foods making me add weight.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Tannedhaggis

I loved all the extra butter and cream in my new LCHF lifestyle, until I started adding in my old friend carbs. I found it easy at the start to stick to low carb and lose weight, as I was able to prepare the truffles and cauliflower fried rice etc. But when I started back work it all changed. I was back to my grab and go bad habits. So now I have put on 3 kilos in 2 months and need to give myself a big kick on the bum.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I loved all the extra butter and cream in my new LCHF lifestyle, until I started adding in my old friend carbs. I found it easy at the start to stick to low carb and lose weight, as I was able to prepare the truffles and cauliflower fried rice etc. But when I started back work it all changed. I was back to my grab and go bad habits. So now I have put on 3 kilos in 2 months and need to give myself a big kick on the bum.
Weight gain is due to carbs and fat. Together.
I can have 2000cals of carbs but not add weight. But add fat then I'm into excessive calories with fatty food and carb cals.
Fats without carbs in a decent calorie diet can sometimes help to lose weight.
Its the combination I find damaging. Or excessive anything.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once again, I have been told I am not allowed treatment for a medical problem until I lose weight. I weigh 15kg more than I did 5years ago, but 25 kg less than I did 10 years ago. The weight regained is, I believe, due to being immobile because of the medical problem. So, I am a bit trapped. No matter what you do, you are blamed.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Once again, I have been told I am not allowed treatment for a medical problem until I lose weight. I weigh 15kg more than I did 5years ago, but 25 kg less than I did 10 years ago. The weight regained is, I believe, due to being immobile because of the medical problem. So, I am a bit trapped. No matter what you do, you are blamed.
My gp was just about to start on about shifting some weight then read his screen. He backed off. I'm too ill to exercise and diet at mo. I felt sorry for him. He was struggling to say the right thing. Antibiotics got him out of it. Ha ha
I've always said its what they don't say tells me everything!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone beat being told to try the local ramblers group, by the very same doc that just a month before had recommended a motorised wheelchair?:banghead::hilarious::hilarious:!

Reactions: superwoman1964
S

serenity648

How about being told to exercise more, by the doctor who diagnosed my ME?

you couldnt make all these stories up - and if it was in a soap opera, it would be dismissed as a plotline too far.

Hugs all round X

Reactions: Bellatom and Pipp

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,

I'm at my wits end

I'm type 1 on an insulin pump, I got given one when I fell pregnant with my little boy.

I'm due to get married in 3 months and despite Dieting since beginning of January Iv lost nothing Iv actually gained ..
Iv tried everything, the 5:2 diet, low carb diet, exercise and slimming world! My Hba1c is 7.2% so my sugars are under control and I'm defiantly not over eating ..

I don't no what to do! Can insulin be that fattening? Iv never has trouble loosing weight before and Iv been diabetic for 10 years plus.

I'm thinking I could have thyroid problems? Does any other diabetic suffer with this? And are struggling to loose weight. I have booked An appointment with the doctor.

Any advice would be helping
Thank you
X

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low thyroid can certainly make it very hard to lose weight but testing is the only way to find out if that is a problem for you. Don't just get TSH but also T4 and free T3 if you can talk the doctor into it. Very low carb or keto might the the way for you. Less than 20 grams per day but I do not know what would be involved in managing your insulin at that level. @Kristin251 might be better able to comment on that. Good luck and congrats on the wedding.

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you

I will ask the doctor.
I need my insulin levels stable as I can as I'd like to try for another baby after the wedding.

Do you no weather having thyroid problems will cause fertility problems?
X

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can't tell you for sure but my guess would be yes for some people. It would be a question for the doctor. You have a child so I would think another pregnancy should be doable for you. I do know that stress can interfere with getting pregnant so just relaxing and enjoying the creative process can go a long way. Stress also makes it harder to control sugars and harder to lose weight. Enjoy your day and your family, they sound wonderful