Type 1: Need a new start...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's two ways of looking at it with regards corrections, as seems to be the most backed version on here is to test, correct and then test 1 hr later and if back to normal range you can bolus and eat. Or you could test, bolus+correction dose, and eat - sometimes time just doesn't allow for the first example - especially at lunchtime at work.

In theory the second example should work but some find it doesn't result in getting back to normal range some time after eating - which indicates their correction ratio isn't right then?

Just digesting your graph and day in the life!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your graph, can you explain what happened Tuesday night, you probably went to bed high? did you give a correction? (it's a nice steady decline over night!) just wondered if that was quick acting or if your lantus is still working extremely well then? as you do basal in the morning don't you?

With out basal testing and taking just one days data, you're breakfast ratio is probably nearer 3u:10g and lunch is probably similar but can't say with any certainty as no carb info. Dinner ratio could be even more, but might be lantus running out that's causing that. Bottom line is basal test first.

There's no rush, we all know how difficult it is doing a basal test with the usual daily life and the curve balls we have to deal with.
The good thing is you're not yo-yo'ing all over the place.

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip , yes I did corrections on Tuesday evening. After dinner (8u Humalog, approx 30g carbs) my BS went up above 15, soI took 1 unit at 8pm and 1 unit at 9pm. It is amazing the effect that this small amount has overnight!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks @donnellysdogs. You say you would have corrected for a level of 11 and tested hourly. Would you have eaten anything in that time? I think my correction doses get all muddled up with my next meal and bolus.

No I would not eat again for another 5 hoyrs unless of course I dipped low.

I was told by a graat consuktant years a go 5 hours to normal target level otherwise you will run the risk of hypo. She was spot on...

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I would not eat again for another 5 hoyrs unless of course I dipped low.

I was told by a graat consuktant years a go 5 hours to normal target level otherwise you will run the risk of hypo. She was spot on...
@donnelleysdogs, That sounds like good advice. But I am so not keen to delay or miss meals! That is what is stopping me from doing a proper basal test. I guess I have to knuckle down and just do it!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A great thread Linda. You are clealy up for finding your best control, brilliant.
After decades of similar BS variations I spent periods striving for an approximate flat line level. To check basal dose I would fast after evening meal taking 2 units rapid on rising to deal with dawn phenomenon but eating nothing for the day. If I got a flat line I could be confident the basal dose was about right. Then I would be able to separate basal from rapid with confidence. If I ate and got a high BS after the meal it was the meal dose that was incorrect. If I was focused I could manage flatish BS for 80 % of time. But life gets in the way and focus slips!

Your steady over night fall suggests excessive insulin activity while sleeping so basal reduction probably needed. This will need to be offset by adjusting your rapid ratios with care to a avoid the post meal rise.

I started on very low carb diet a year ago eating less than 50g per day. I halved my insulin intake in less than a week and now find it far easier maintaining that flat line. it has been the greatest control boost I have experienced in 35 years.

All the best

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thansk for your support @StewartH ! Yes I had thought that a reduction in basal is needed. I have reduced it this morning and am planning on doing overnight testing next week. I am comforted that you managed to improve your control after so many years of being diabetic, well done you! I am grateful hat I got it late in life, and have had 50+ years without it.