Am I being impatient or unreasonable about my hba1c results??

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Terry - you need to look up 'advanced access request' on your GPs website, standard access is repeat prescription requests and booking appointments, advanced allows you access to your notes/results. I emailed my surgery months ago about it and never got a response, just looked it up on their website and found I have to print out a form and get it to them, but it was difficult to find this form even when I knew what I was looking for! (They don't make it easy!)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning my the receptionist at my surgery printed them off for me no problem,but I would like to know whst "Satisfactory" means,this is what my 3 month assestment results looked like;)

Test.JPG

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiseowl_123 it means they are satisfied about the result. It is above "normal" but not by much. 5.8 as opposed to 5.5.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't get me started. I have mentioned things at my surgery and got nowhere. I had a blood test to check on kidney function so I asked how I would know the result. I was told that if there was anything wrong they would contact me. So, a lack of info means I'm fine or the system is cocked up but I don't know which.

Rant over and apologies if that was a hi-jack.

It's not very reassuring when they say that is it, I think this is where the On-line Patient Access comes into its own.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I requested online access to my medical records last September, and filled in the required consent form, but I still can't access them. If they aren't online before my next HbA1c test in March I will ask to see the practice manager.
They did give me the printout of results from my last test though.

Reactions: Terryrhino

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I requested online access to my medical records last September, and filled in the required consent form, but I still can't access them. If they aren't online before my next HbA1c test in March I will ask to see the practice manager.

I'd like to see my medical history if it would make interesting reading I'm sure but I'm not overly bothered about the past, I would like to be able to access my blood results online though but my surgery doesn't seem to offer this service!!

ALL I WANT IS THAT ONE IMPORTANT NUMBER it's not much to ask for

Reactions: Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I have the On-Line Patient Access but can only view appointments and repeat prescription items ( I could do this anyway via my gp surgery website), around 2 weeks back some of the members here where saying they could view past & present blood results where as I couldn't, so I contacted my gp surgery and asked why and I didn't have full access and was told I would need to write to the practice manager to request this, wrote off last week but have still yet to get a reply.

I'd chase things up @Prem51 , 4-5 months seems an unacceptable amount of time to wait.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
b2eeee433bc110122fa090363717b9d0.jpg

This is what it says on my surgeries website but I've requested this 3 times and still got know joy

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
was told I would need to write to the practice manager to request this, wrote off last week but have still yet to get a reply.

I'd chase things up @Prem51 , 4-5 months seems an unacceptable amount of time to wait.
I wrote to my practice manager too but didn't get a reply. I went into the surgery and spoke to the receptionist (she said the practice manager wasn't in that day). The receptionist said I had to read and sign the release/consent form which I did.
I will chase it up when I get home next month.

Reactions: noblehead

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I asked for my result and was told "Normal", so I asked for the number (40, down from 62 in case you're interested :) )

I would love to get results online, but though my practice offers online access, all it seems to do is enable you to order repeat prescriptions and make appointments.
Very well done getting down to 40!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Terryrhino I feel for you. It won't be helping your blood pressure.
I have had to change surgeries as my previous one was closed. This new one still doesn't do online results but they have given me a printout of the results this morning. Blood taken last Thursday. Have you tried going in and asking them? If the results were "normal" then they should be prepared to give you the actual figure. I also find waiting a very hard time and yes my blood pressure goes up.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Terryrhino I feel for you. It won't be helping your blood pressure.
I have had to change surgeries as my previous one was closed. This new one still doesn't do online results but they have given me a printout of the results this morning. Blood taken last Thursday. Have you tried going in and asking them? If the results were "normal" then they should be prepared to give you the actual figure. I also find waiting a very hard time and yes my blood pressure goes up.

Yes I've been in twice and ask for printouts but got fobbed off the receptionist even sat there and said I have all the information here on my screen but I can't tell you !!!! Why even say that ??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I've been in twice and ask for printouts but got fobbed off the receptionist even sat there and said I have all the information here on my screen but I can't tell you !!!! Why even say that ??

When a receptionist said that to me, I asked her to go and get someone who could tell me.

Could it be an ID issue? Have you tried asking what the problem is with telling you? I got quite annoyed at my surgery and told them they were MY results and they had no right to keep them from me.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When a receptionist said that to me, imasked her to go and get someone who could tell me.

Could it be an ID issue? Have you tried asking what the problem is with telling you? I got quite annoyed at my surgery and told them they were MY results and they had no right to keep them from me.

It's not an ID issue as I had to provide ID to get set up for the online stuff which was a waste of time I'm sat here now stewing on it all I think I'll go back later after work take some chains with me and prepare for a sit in protest lol

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully see a different receptionist. Please try to be polite but firm if necessary. Possibly ask for a print out if you're told they can't tell you. I just feel so much better knowing my results.

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Terryrhino

That sounds very frustrating! I had a blood test on Tuesday and they said the usual thing of "We'll call you if there's a problem". Normally I just book an appointment with the nurse for a week after so that I can find out the result etc, however on this occasion I didn't book one as I'm hoping I'll be able to phone up and find out. I will ring them tomorrow so we shall see what happens! Maybe I should've just booked an appointment to save the possibility of the hassle like you've had!

Are you able to get an appointment so you can discuss your results?

Melissa

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find it's a two way street.
My surgery is excellent.
But, the receptionist is not qualified to give results, in person, or over the phone.
One accidental, 'oh dear', or 'I wouldn't worry', and the results have a whole new meaning.
So, I don't try to force them if they don't feel they should be working outside their job.
As to getting the results, previously, there are two slots twice a week, when I can phone up for results, and speak to a nurse. It's not an ad hoc system, they have other responsibilities. If I keep to the rules, I had no problem asking for a printout to be left in reception that I could pick up later.
Only qualified staff can give results, verbal, printed, or in any format.
Now I can access it online at my request, I get results the day after the test, without needing to bother them.
The system is well supported, I went in with a family member this week, made an appointment to see the doctor, asked for access, by the time they went in, the request had been reviewed, they had been given access, and could see their results and ask the questions they needed to.

I find it far better to treat all the surgery staff with respect, and I find I get treated the same way.
Then again, I also think I need the surgery, a lot more than they need one more awkward patient.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully see a different receptionist. Please try to be polite but firm if necessary. Possibly ask for a print out if you're told they can't tell you. I just feel so much better knowing my results.

I do appreciate all the staff have difficult jobs so I'm always polite perhaps not stern enough at times though