Kippers

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I had some kippers for lunch today (the ones you get in a pack with a knob of butter). They are very high in calories (270g per 100g) of a 200g pack and also the SF content was high too 10g.

From the nutritional value, they don't sound very healthy but I thought I would give them a go for a change to have for lunch (I had them on their own, nothing else) and I was hoping to have them say once a week.

Does anyone else have these despite the 'unhealthy' sounding nutritional value?

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have them quite often and really enjoy them, go for it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often have kippers for breakfast on rotation. I have to say the supermarket microwave in the pack ones seem to have extra additives but they are cheap compared to

http://www.manxkippers.com/buy-seafood/manx-kippers-pairs

From that link I found:

Kipper Nutritional Information
Kippers are rich in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats which is said to help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. They are a good source of vitamin A which helps maintain strong vision and keeps your skin healthy. They are also a good source of vitamin D which keeps your bones healthly and supports a strong immune system.

So it sounds like they are very good for us. It's a balance to be struck with the salt content if you are worried about salt. I'm not worried by salt which is why I eat bacon. Sadly, I don't like kippers.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone else have these despite the 'unhealthy' sounding nutritional value?

I don't like kippers but like all oily fish it's extremely good for you, we buy the vacuum packs of mackerel from Aldi which are really good value for money and very tasty.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Kippers. Must put them on the shopping list, not had any for ages. Nice with some wilted spinach for breakfast or lunch.

My regular oily fish lunch is home made mackerel pate. Use one of the vacuum packs, strip off the mackerel skin and chop up. Mix into the contents of one block of full fat cream cheese, add lemon juice, a bit of chopped up parsley and that's it, done. This makes up four portions at 2g carbs each. I serve with linseed bread (home made) at a gram per thin slice and a salad.
Sally

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Kippers are tops, no carb and high fat....and good fats..
Love 'em.
:)

Do you buy any others other than the ones they sell in the supermarkets in a bag with a knob of butter?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you buy any others other than the ones they sell in the supermarkets in a bag with a knob of butter?

I live in Scotland, East Coast, so supply of "fresh" ones is not a problem from a Fish merchant. Not had a bag one for a long time...
and locally we have Smokies, which are the same thing just Haddock rather than Herring.... also lovely. :happy:

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some kippers for lunch today (the ones you get in a pack with a knob of butter). They are very high in calories (270g per 100g) of a 200g pack and also the SF content was high too 10g.

From the nutritional value, they don't sound very healthy but ..........
.........They are!!!!

For a T2, these are great! High protein, low carb - the fat is from the fish oil & the butter - it's all good! You could have them every day if you wanted to.....fill yer boots, as we used to say.....yummy :hungry:.

Reactions: midschick1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kippers and other smoked fish were staple foods before cereals were introduced as the thing to eat for breakfast.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If someone has gout then a small amount is better because they are high in purines which could trigger an attack.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Scotland, East Coast, so supply of "fresh" ones is not a problem from a Fish merchant. Not had a bag one for a long time...
and locally we have Smokies, which are the same thing just Haddock rather than Herring.... also lovely. :happy:

Smokies are just fabulous, and even better when bought and eaten in Arbroath from the fisherman/ smokehouse directly.

I'm not sure if it still happens in these days of health and safety, but it used to be an afternoon spectacle, watching the seagulls be fed the fish innards at the end of the gutting and prepping day. :)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We have kippers most weeks but not too concerned about the salt content as we don't use added salt when cooking and very seldom add any to the cooked food on our plates, so reckon we can get away with what comes with a kipper.
Love Arbroath smokies too, hot and cold. I found some pre-packed smoked haddock in one of our supermarkets last week, I think it may have originated from Poland, it was very nice too, I just warmed it up in the microwave.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Smokies are just fabulous, and even better when bought and eaten in Arbroath from the fisherman/ smokehouse directly.

I'm not sure if it still happens in these days of health and safety, but it used to be an afternoon spectacle, watching the seagulls be fed the fish innards at the end of the gutting and prepping day. :)

The Famous Spinks family of Abroath are often, at Farmers Markets around here, have a large smoke tub, where they will "Hot Smoke" any range of fish on the bone.... mainly Haddock.... very lovely.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Famous Spinks family of Abroath are often, at Farmers Markets around here, have a large smoke tub, where they will "Hot Smoke" any range of fish on the bone.... mainly Haddock.... very lovely.

For a few months every summer, we used to live surrounds by the Spinks and Cargills.

Sorry to be off-topic, @carina62 .

Reactions: hankjam