18.7 blood sugar after breakfast

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

If you tell us what sort of diabetes you have, and what medication you are on, we may be able to help. Otherwise, we are working blind.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm just going to tag @daisy1 who has a great information pack for new members.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin 1000mg twice a day type 2, and to top it off blood pressure tablets as well any help greatful

When Daisy adds her post, please read it carefully and follow the links she includes. It is very valuable information for newcomers.

What is it you don't understand? Is it what you should eat?

Meanwhile, read round the forums and see how others are managing to control their Type 2. You will see that the vast majority of us do it by reducing carbohydrates. All carbs turn to glucose once eaten, and glucose is just what we don't need. If you eat too many cereals, porridge, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and things containing flour, you may as well eat cakes.

Do ask questions and try to give as much information as you can.

Reactions: Chappe11 and dbr10

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You also need to tell us what you ate for breakfast that caused that reading? Food will have a high impact on your glucose levels and modifying your diet by reducing carbs will generally help lower them - often dramatically. But illness. stress, and mucky fingers can also affect the readings we get.

Also have a read up on the dawn phenomenon aka liver dumps - which can cause high levels in the mornings, although they are perfectly natural and occur in diabetics and non-diabetics alike.

Robbity

Reactions: Chappe11

Chappe11

You also need to tell us what you ate for breakfast that caused that reading? Food will have a high impact on your glucose levels and modifying your diet by reducing carbs will generally help lower them - often dramatically. But illness. stress, and mucky fingers can also affect the readings we get.

Also have a read up on the dawn phenomenon aka liver dumps - which can cause high levels in the mornings, although they are perfectly natural and occur in diabetics and non-diabetics alike.

Robbity
Hi there toast n peanut butter

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep toast does that for me, both white and wholemeal will do this and especially if you eat a lot or thick sliced. Also reduced fat peanut butter has more carbs so that will also increase your number. You may also want to look at testing your level before you eat, if you have suffered dawn phenomenon and your glucose level was high to start with then the breakfast will just increase this. I know my levels just continue to rise on a morning following my fasting test first thing and then continue after breakfast until about 11am

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that even a single slice of supposed low carb bread such as Burgen pushes up my BG. For example -
Pre breakfast 7.3 two hours later 10.4 - breakfast one boiled egg and one slice bread & marmite & low carb spread.
Pre breakfast 7.5 two hours later 7.5 - breakfast bacon and egg, 10 mins on exercise bike and about 6 grapes about 30 mins before testing.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bread and peanut butter were not a good idea as both were converted into sugars and became glucose in your blood.
Something with fewer carbohydrates would result in lower levels of blood glucose,but you need to test after different foods to see what you tolerate and what causes spikes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you need to find a consistent testing regime. It is pointless (and stressful) just testing randomly, and you learn nothing.

Test immediately before a meal and again 2 hours after your first bite. This will show you what that meal has done to your levels and if that meal has too many carbs you may get a nasty shock, but you can learn from this so it won't happen again. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. Patterns will emerge that will show you which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. Record keeping, testing, and consistency is the only way to go.

We are all here to help you and support you, not to criticise, so please do ask questions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your help people greatful, what is the allowed amount of carbs in a day if any

We all have different amounts. We use our meters to show us how many we can eat. My meter tells me I can't have any for breakfast, about 10g for lunch max and about 20g at evening meal. Others have more than this, others have less. Only your meter can tell you.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your help people greatful, what is the allowed amount of carbs in a day if any

I think we are all different in this respect you just have to test different foods to find how high the amounts raise your levels. Just as an example I used to eat a packet of four belvita biscuits on a morning 7.30am and nothing else until 10am, each one of the 4 contained 8.4g carbs = 36.6g now i thought these were small enough biccies so no harm in that, woah!! how wrong could I be as my level went up from 6.9 to 12+ on them, and then my porridge at 10am took levels even higher so both had to go.

If I were you I'd do as bluetit1802 has suggested and keep a food diary of what you eat and the amounts, start off with smaller amounts than usual and test after 2 hrs to see what they have done. It may take you a while but it's worth it

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
There isn't "a limit" as such. The primary action to take is to choose low carb foods and then test and see how they affect you as we are all different in our reactions. For example porridge is usually regarded as low carb, but it spikes my BG but doesn't do this for some others.
As a rule of thumb, the lower your carb intake, the lower your BG will be.

Reactions: Chappe11
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 12 years of being a type 2 diabetic, i finally decided to do something about it.I have cut all bread, except 3 small slices of Spelt bread for lunch, porridge for breakfast, and a smaller than normal dinner, my readings are just brilliant.As low as 4.2 before eating, and only rising to 9 max in day. I think the biggest contributor to these readings are no bread, except Spelt, no weetabix, but porridge instead, and no potatoes either. I dont feel peckinsh or crave for sugar, and if a bit hungry between meals, i eat a juicy apple,I have also reduced my medication by 1 tablet, and will continue like this, and speak to my doctor in a few weeks, and showhim my blood sugar readings, i know he will be pleased, as i am.