Ditch the levemir?!

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, 22 years old on Humalog and Levimir.

I am currently travelling the world! At the moment I am in Indonesia.

Unfortunately I also have a eating disorder, anorexia. At the moment my eating disorder is really peaking/having a wobble so what I am eating is minimal, when I do eat it will be no carbs and just fruit or veg. I've also lost around 2 stone in weight- surely this would alter insulin ratios too?

As I'm not eating carbs I haven't been taking my humalog, which is what my nurse said to do as humalog is fast acting.

With my levimir I am on 15 units in the morning which seems to keep me at a good level in the day. However I keep having Nasty low bloods in the morning, my levimir is reduced to 8 units but I am still going low. This seems a very small dose and I'm just wondering if it's worth ditching the night time dose? This seems a bold move so I'm a bit nervous. I know levimir works on a 12 hour basis so maybe increase my morning dose if I was to ditch the night time injection?

Has anyone done this before/what do you think?

Please no negative comments on my eating issues- that is a completely different topic altogether!

Many thanks in advance.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @meg7024

After 22 years, you should have a good awareness of what foods affect your BGs, though you don't say how long since diagnosis?

When I went low-carb I too reduced my insulin intake, to the point where I currently don't take any at all. (Novorapid and Levemir). The quick acting was easy as it's directly related to the carbs you take on, and being insulin-sensitive my ratio was already 0.5u/1.5CP in any case.
The background like you I found to leave me lower than I'd like, so I stepped it down by 1 unit every 3 days to see how my body adjusted. When down to the final unit, I have to admit I was nervous about stopping altogether and left it another week before taking that step, but I had no problems and BGs have remained steady.

Test, test, test is important with any alterations, and make sure those around you are aware of what you are doing so they too can look out for any change in case you miss it.

Good luck

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great thank you! Glad I'm not the not the only one to be nervous about stopping it altogether!

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im on tresiba,12 units every day.Im trying to cut back on carbs but how do you cope with a low blood sugar? I have had an eating disorder for many years,it rules my life.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great thank you! Glad I'm not the not the only one to be nervous about stopping it altogether!

I definitely wouldn't stop it altogether.

My basal dose is approx 7 units but I know my body still needs it, even though it's a small amount.

If you do need to reduce your basal, then do it gradually and test lots.

Are you able to speak to your DSN at home for advice?

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on tresiba,12 units every day.Im trying to cut back on carbs but how do you cope with a low blood sugar? I have had an eating disorder for many years,it rules my life.

Low bloods are happening every morning. I tend to drink sugar drinks rather than eat to correct the low bloods. I know the sugar can be fatning but I'd rather drink than eat something. I snack on fruit which has natural sugars in too which prevents the lows in the first place. Eating disorders are a hard battle to fight

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely wouldn't stop it altogether.

My basal dose is approx 7 units but I know my body still needs it, even though it's a small amount.

If you do need to reduce your basal, then do it gradually and test lots.

Are you able to speak to your DSN at home for advice?

Yes you are right. If your body needs it a low dose is better than no dose.

I've been sending emails to my diabetes team but it takes them a few days to reply so thought I'd see what others had done :)

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you are right. If your body needs it a low dose is better than no dose.

I've been sending emails to my diabetes team but it takes them a few days to reply so thought I'd see what others had done :)

If you've lost some weight that could we'll have affected your insulin needs, so you're right considering that.

We do have members here on low doses of basal, so don't feel uneasy about it. You need what you need to keep your blood sugar in range :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Job of basal is to keep your blood sugar steady when not eating or taking bolus. If your dropping low in the morning maybe you do need to consider further ruducing your pm levemir. But usually it's make 10% change and see how that goes, so 7 units down to 6, rather than a 100% change of 7 units down to none.

You could basal test to see how weight loss and travel has impacted the on basal requirements - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

But basal testing might be a pain in the neck while traveling so maybe do an easy version of testing pre bed and on waking to see if the number is about the same (that's the aim) or if there's a big drop (suggests incremental dos reduction required) or rise (suggests incremental dose increase considered)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @meg7024 ,

It could also be the temprature in Indonesia causing insulin sensitivity with your basal too?
You could try drinking milk? Which may help stop any multiple recurrences of hypos, (if that's what you're getting in the morning.?) which can happen with fast acting sugars causing a brief rise then another drop?
Concentrating on getting the basal dose right should fix this...

Reactions: azure

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @meg7024 ,

It could also be the temprature in Indonesia causing insulin sensitivity with your basal too?
You could try drinking milk? Which may help stop any multiple recurrences of hypos, (if that's what you're getting in the morning.?) which can happen with fast acting sugars causing a brief rise then another drop?
Concentrating on getting the basal dose right should fix this...

Yes you're right with that one- sun burn also causes a significant drop in blood sugars! I haven't tried the milk idea, do you mean with meals or as a snack? or just as a drink before bed maybe? I see what you mean about the sugars being less harsh to prevent the high then sudden drop. Thanks for your help! :)

meg7024

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Job of basal is to keep your blood sugar steady when not eating or taking bolus. If your dropping low in the morning maybe you do need to consider further ruducing your pm levemir. But usually it's make 10% change and see how that goes, so 7 units down to 6, rather than a 100% change of 7 units down to none.

You could basal test to see how weight loss and travel has impacted the on basal requirements - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

But basal testing might be a pain in the neck while traveling so maybe do an easy version of testing pre bed and on waking to see if the number is about the same (that's the aim) or if there's a big drop (suggests incremental dos reduction required) or rise (suggests incremental dose increase considered)

Hey! That's great thanks I think I will have to drop a couple more units before bed. To go to bed and wake up on the same reading would be a dream!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you're right with that one- sun burn also causes a significant drop in blood sugars! I haven't tried the milk idea, do you mean with meals or as a snack? or just as a drink before bed maybe? I see what you mean about the sugars being less harsh to prevent the high then sudden drop. Thanks for your help! :)
Hello,
Bit of "everything"..? Back in my day milk was a recommended hypo treatment. Until you get your basal sorted. (Which sounds like it's the basal causing the hypos.) I was thinking more longer acting solution? Stop the recurring drop..
I was tactfully taking into account your aformentioned eating disorder..?
Though it is imperative you get the Levemir dosage right.

I've spent 3 years in a dance school (hence my tact?) & traveled a bit. In my case fruit breakfasts & insulin sensitivity was a pain..
While we're at it? Permit me to nag you about "sun block." :cool: ;)