Am I being impatient or unreasonable about my hba1c results??

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
'Patient-led care' is what they call it round here. It's a 'call us if you want to know, because we won't call you' policy....

:banghead:

Reactions: zand and Terryrhino

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it's a two way street.
My surgery is excellent.
But, the receptionist is not qualified to give results, in person, or over the phone.
One accidental, 'oh dear', or 'I wouldn't worry', and the results have a whole new meaning.
So, I don't try to force them if they don't feel they should be working outside their job.
As to getting the results, previously, there are two slots twice a week, when I can phone up for results, and speak to a nurse. It's not an ad hoc system, they have other responsibilities. If I keep to the rules, I had no problem asking for a printout to be left in reception that I could pick up later.
Only qualified staff can give results, verbal, printed, or in any format.
Now I can access it online at my request, I get results the day after the test, without needing to bother them.
The system is well supported, I went in with a family member this week, made an appointment to see the doctor, asked for access, by the time they went in, the request had been reviewed, they had been given access, and could see their results and ask the questions they needed to.

I find it far better to treat all the surgery staff with respect, and I find I get treated the same way.
Then again, I also think I need the surgery, a lot more than they need one more awkward patient.

I am all the things you mention here and I've asked all the right people the right questions and still no results i know the receptionists can't give me the results I fully understand they are not medically trained !! But that doesn't stop them asking me why I need to see a doctor when I make a new appointment!! I'm sure I'd get put to the back of the que if I pointed out that it's none of her business she's not medically trained....... all said in the mist polite way of course

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our receptionists aren't medically trained but once the GP has seen the results they are only too happy to give me the numbers providing I ring after 2pm. as per the notice on the surgery wall. As was said earlier, they can read. If a patient starts to ask medical questions such as "what does that mean" they can simply explain they don't know, ask the doctor.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our receptionists aren't medically trained but once the GP has seen the results they are only too happy to give me the numbers providing I ring after 2pm. as per the notice on the surgery wall. As was said earlier, they can read. If a patient starts to ask medical questions such as "what does that mean" they can simply explain they don't know, ask the doctor.

That's great and how it should be but I don't think all surgeries are like that mind definitely isn't

Reactions: Prem51
S

serenity648

That's great and how it should be but I don't think all surgeries are like that mind definitely isn't

my surgery isnt like that either. I have to ask to speak to a nurse or doctor. And even the nurse or doctor wont let me see the screen, in the consulting room, unless I insist. Apparently I lack to medical knowledge to safely interpret the figures.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not entirely sure I would actually be happy with the receptionist accessing my medical records.
It's a local surgery, so I guess my problem is do I really want my daughters school 'friends' reading mine, and her test results on their after school job.
I think my preference is simply for them to answer the phone, and book the appoitments overall, but each to their own.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm fortunate that I can ring up, but also I get a follow up appointment with the nurse for results.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If someone is accessing medical records without a good reason, then they are likely to be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Reactions: Terryrhino

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I now have online access to my 'complete' medical records. All surgeries are by now supposed to be offering online access to at least prescriptions etc so do challenge the practice manager as they are now required to provide it. You need to sign a form to be given access to your full records. This doesn't include letters from consultants etc but does give a complete breakdown of any test results. My last ones appeared online only 2 days after giving blood. I was therefore able to say to my DN at my review that I had read my results so we were able to focus on what actions if any were needed - far more efficient for all.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If someone is accessing medical records without a good reason, then they are likely to be in breach of the Data Protection Act.
But if the patient has asked for information on their test result that should be good reason.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if the patient has asked for information on their test result that should be good reason.

Of course it would. My remark was more a response to Douglas's suggestion he wouldn't care for his daughter's friends to be looking at his records, in a quiet moment in their working schedule.

Employers also have a responsibility to ensure their employees are aware of the importance of both privacy and discretion. My feeling is practices will each decide who has access to what information. In some instances I can see that disallowing access to patient records, aside from appointment data would avoid any such concerns.

In my experience of people in general, few are going to be interested in whether my test for whatever comes back at high, low or worthy of a prize. Bearing in mind some of the HCPs we engage with have less detailed knowledge on the finer detail our our particular test/results than we do, I doubt there would be few administrators with that understanding.

I just don't think I'm that interesting to Mrs Bloggins on Reception.

I do think the OP is having an extraordinarily frustrating time getting the one little number he wants, and pre-access to my own record I had a particular tactic I deployed for getting my own. Listening to the OP's description of events, I doubt it would help him in this instance.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why on earth would you imagine anyone would be trawling through patients records at random?
I doubt any of us are that interesting.
Obviously if you phone and ask the receptionist to read it out, that's when they are going to access it.
Do you still want your daughters friends to know then?

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't we also have the legal right under the Data Protection Act to get a copy of any information held on a computer about ourselves, though the holder can charge a reasonable fee for providing it.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't we also have the legal right under the Data Protection Act to get a copy of any information held on a computer about ourselves, though the holder can charge a reasonable fee for providing it.
£10

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I sent an email to someone in my surgery via the online system asking for my results and I've had a phone call just this second..... strap yourselves in people buckle up and listen to this 7th October 16
My hba1c was 99 today 20th January 17 my hba1c is drum roll ............ 39

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow @Terryrhino - I won't be so crass as to say 'worth the wait, then' but wow, you must be absolutely delighted!!!!

Really glad they finally got their act together in telling you your result - and congratulations on the 39!

:happy::happy::happy:

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow @Terryrhino - I won't be so crass as to say 'worth the wait, then' but wow, you must be absolutely delighted!!!!

Really glad they finally got their act together in telling you your result - and congratulations on the 39!

:happy::happy::happy:

It's cheesetastic

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why on earth would you imagine anyone would be trawling through patients records at random?
I doubt any of us are that interesting.
Obviously if you phone and ask the receptionist to read it out, that's when they are going to access it.
Do you still want your daughters friends to know then?

Notwithstanding not having children myself, if it was part of her job, and she had been appropriately trained, I would accept it. In our lifetimes, many folks have access to our personal, and sometimes medical data.

You might be surprised what does, and doesn't fall under the category of "sensitive data", in the DPA.