OMG OMG OMG [emoji44] HBA1C SHOCK - CURED?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 months ago my hba1c was 99 , 15.4 bg
Today it's 39 I'm totally shocked at this does this mean I'm cured so to speak??

What a stunning result Terry!

Whilst your numbers mean you have taken yourself out of the diabetic and pre-diabetic ranges, you now really need to maintain it there for a while. That's the challenge.

I'm not trying to rain on your BBQ for a moment, but we've seen quite a few folks who have achieved a great turnaround, only to go off celebrating, sometimes declaring their work is done, only to reappear through the sometimes revolving door a few months later.

I'd suggest you decide what your target is for the next few months. It needn't be trying to further lower your HbA1c if you don't want to. It could be trimming up a bit more if you still have any poundage to go, or something else, but go for it, within the context of maintaining that stunning grasp on your bloods.

Again, very, very well done.

Oh, and Yes! Crackslaw is indeed the manna of the Gods. :)

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a stunning result Terry!

Whilst your numbers mean you have taken yourself out of the diabetic and pre-diabetic ranges, you now really need to maintain it there for a while. That's the challenge.

I'm not trying to rain on your BBQ for a moment, but we've seen quite a few folks who have achieved a great turnaround, only to go off celebrating, sometimes declaring their work is done, only to reappear through the sometimes revolving door a few months later.

I'd suggest you decide what your target is for the next few months. It needn't be trying to further lower your HbA1c if you don't want to. It could be trimming up a bit more if you still have any poundage to go, or something else, but go for it, within the context of maintaining that stunning grasp on your bloods.

Again, very, very well done.

Oh, and Yes! Crackslaw is indeed the manna of the Gods. :)

I'm enjoying the lifestyle that I have so I will just continue with it but it will be nice knowing that I can have a treat now and again with out killing myself

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
3 months ago my hba1c was 99 , 15.4 bg
Today it's 39 I'm totally shocked at this does this mean I'm cured so to speak??
Very well done! Mine at diagnosis was 102 (4½ months ago) and my last one was 50 (1½ months ago). I await the result of my blood test yesterday with interest. I can only wish it will be as good as yours!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A good HbA1c is the sign of well controlled T2 diabetes, as well as lack of diabetes.

Eating (for example) a Mars bar and having a BG level of 7.8 or lower 2 hours later, with no major peak at 1 hour after eating, might suggest that you are no longer formally diabetic.

What specifically have you changed?

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good HbA1c is the sign of well controlled T2 diabetes, as well as lack of diabetes.

Eating (for example) a Mars bar and having a BG level of 7.8 or lower 2 hours later, with no major peak at 1 hour after eating, might suggest that you are no longer formally diabetic.

What specifically have you changed?

I've been on the LCHF diet about 60-80 g carbs a day I've cut out all added sugar cut out beer and cider drank red wine walked about 20k a week and gave up smoking 8 months ago it's been quiet an upheaval but worth every minute I know I'm still at risk so I will continue what I'm doing

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done! That's definitely a result to be proud of.

But as @AndBreathe says, the art is keeping it down there at that level and not becoming complacent.. You really need to regard low carb as a lifestyle change now rather than a means to an end, and not to sneak in high carb treats to upset your (low carb!) apple cart again - there are plenty of low carb ones to replace them. But if you're enjoying LCHF that that's a major part of the battle already won.

I tend for the most part to believe that we have our diabetes well under control (which is also what my GP tells me!) rather than cured. We will still probably have the triggers that can set it all off again, so take care...

Robbity

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm enjoying the lifestyle that I have so I will just continue with it but it will be nice knowing that I can have a treat now and again with out killing myself
Well done @Terryrhino, that's a spectacular reduction in just three months. I am at 39 too, but it took me longer to get there from a lower starting point. I know I still have to be careful, but as you say it is good to know I can have a couple of pints or a biriani occasionally.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The use of the word cured was just a bit of tongue and cheek I know I'm still at risk but just very pleased with myself at the moment

And so you deserve to be .... are you off the tablets? As others have said, enjoy this result, have a treat, but don't be fooled into relapsing too often. Congratulations and very well done. :):)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you get the results over the phone finally or did you have to go in?