OMG OMG OMG [emoji44] HBA1C SHOCK - CURED?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time to have some cake to celebrate the success of your wonderful new lifestyle!

I have mentioned elsewhere that I made my nonD husband a LC coffee and walnut cake.
But he made me laugh this morning. Turns out he ate a slice at 4.30am as 'breakfast' before his work shift.
Then came home today at lunchtime with a puzzled look on his face, saying 'and I am still not hungry. That is awesome cake. I'm going to have another slice for breakfast tomorrow'.

Hahahahaha!

It was this recipe, in case anyone else fancies cake for brekkie, that keeps them full for 7 hours:
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Time to have some cake to celebrate the success of your wonderful new lifestyle!

I have mentioned elsewhere that I made my nonD husband a LC coffee and walnut cake.
But he made me laugh this morning. Turns out he ate a slice at 4.30am as 'breakfast' before his work shift.
Then came home today at lunchtime with a puzzled look on his face, saying 'and I am still not hungry. That is awesome cake. I'm going to have another slice for breakfast tomorrow'.

Hahahahaha!

It was this recipe, in case anyone else fancies cake for brekkie, that keeps them full for 7 hours:
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/

That's the funniest lol

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although this is the best news for me, you should all take a small victory for yourselves and without all your help support and kindness it wouldn't be were I am now so thank you all for everything xx much love to you all

Reactions: Prem51

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sod all the congratulations for the low level, I'm celebrating the fact you managed to get YOUR blood result! LOL

Well done mate!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Wonderful results. I slipped off the wagon a bit, but have taken control again and hope to be in your shoes before too long.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Well done Terryrhino and everyone with your great advice and help with problem solving, I'm a fallen off the wagon last May but I'm well on track again LCHF does work,but I also do fasting to get rid of my weight highest being 17st 4 lb now 14st 1lb since getting back into it in September 16 I eat between the hours of 11am to 5 pm fasting during the night gives me 17 hrs to work on the fats has there is no sugar in the bloods,can only say it works for me.
I've been diabetic since early 1994 and never been able to control the sugar spikes, why! because everyone was encouraged to eat carbs I was always slim when I was young I'm 70 now by the way but put on so much weight over the years.And know matter what I tried I couldn't lose the weight,we never knew it was what we where advised to eat by people we trusted that was the root of all our problems. So a heartfelt Thankyou to Diabetic association for the. LCHF diet I am heartily thankful.X

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Terryrhino, a heart warming bit of great news. It is like a personal victory for all of us when a success story like yours comes through and helps maintain our own resolve. Words such as "cured", "remission", "reversed" are often utilised. I am comfortable with "reversed" as it implies a positive decline from the starting point which was dangerous to your health, whilst still not being as cast in stone as a cure. In some ways this is perfect scenario, as you know you can achieve the healthy range, but also know a reversion to so called "normal" eating (which in a modern sense is in my opinion abnormal. If you are to have mainstream treats maybe consider making them yourself.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First off congratulations. It took me six months to get my hba1c down to 5.5. I was teken off metformin which made me happy. Since then life events and a few bad choices I'm sure are putting that number back up. I will find out for sure at the begining of February.

Basically what I'm saying is just watch you don't slip back into old habits. Stay strong and know that what you started needs to continue. Also don't worry if you treat yourself once a week. We all have cravings and the biggest secret to managing them is moderation. One donut is okay. 6 is not. 12 is what I used to eat.

Congrats again.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 months ago my hba1c was 99 , 15.4 bg
Today it's 39 I'm totally shocked at this does this mean I'm cured so to speak??
That is a totally amazing result and a tribute to all your hard work. A massive well done you :)
I've watched your posts and your total embracing of the LCHF lifestyle and it's truly inspiring.
I just wish the NHS would take note.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Terryrhino, and I hope that you D Team are as supportive as we all are;

When I was diagnosed at 101 a couple of years back, my next 3-monthly review came back at 51, which I was thrilled about. However my DN told me off and said I was "too well too soon" and risking a bounce back up! (Puzzling eh?)

Like others have said, it's all about momentum now, and not letting the figures slip. My HbA1c has been as low as 45, and this latest test this month was 49; the slight increase due to my fault at Christmas and being tempted by the odd mince pie, which I offset with a zero carb meal (or so I thought!).
[Note to self; I must try harder, they didn't taste THAT good to risk my health over]

Finally, as @daisyduck says; LCHF is a lifestyle change.
If more people saw it as that and not as a 'diet', then I think we'd be seeing far higher results of improved health across the board. The term 'diet' instils the mindset of a short-term change, a means to an end if you like, and I think this is why some people jump on/off LCHF saying it doesn't work for them.

Anyway, well done again @Terryrhino, it's great to read such a positive post.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you get the results over the phone finally or did you have to go in?

I sent an email to the "ask us a question address" and got a phone call the next day and I've also managed to get all my records and results online now so things are looking up !! But with every good thing something bad always happens to me ..... Sunday morning the window fell out of my car ........
d1e9bd293ddc3b9ada26f1406a1d2b75.jpg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if only everything was as reliable as a Golf................oops! take it it fell out on it's own and wasn't 'helped'.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Brilliant result and yes there does always seem to be something that brings us back to earth when we want to celebrate. I wait to see the new target set for you on 30th! Thanks for sharing your success.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Great result Terry congratulations, like you I have a non diabetic HbA1c and in fact have held them for 78 years now but I can still make my bg levels go into double figures if I eat white bread, scones, teacakes etc.

So cured? Maybe, but probably you just have good control as do many members here.

Once again congrats and keep up the good work.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result Terry congratulations, like you I have a non diabetic HbA1c and in fact have held them for 78 years now but I can still make my bg levels go into double figures if I eat white bread, scones, teacakes etc.

So cured? Maybe, but probably you just have good control as do many members here.

You have done well to hold that non-diabetic HbA1c for 78 years. ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

78 years - wow! Do the medical profession ever ask how you do it?! or do they think you're 'cured'?!