Off metformin!!

chrismk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been struggling with B12 deficiency caused by metformin = 2-monthly injections, tiredness, fuzzy memory, etc. I've been on the LCHF diet since last April and have lost 11 kg with 3 kg still to go but medication reduced by GP accordingly and this morning she has finally agreed to take me off metformin! Hba1C = 41 and medication down to 1 x sitagliptin and 40mg gliclazide. Hooray! Will still take the B12 injections in the interim as I don't know how long it takes for the effect of metformin to wear off and for B12 levels to stabilise naturally?

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Well done - I've been given the all clear to come off the Gliclizade yesterday.

Reactions: Prem51

Shep1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(1) Diabetes :)
(2) Being told what to do
(3) Seagulls (3a) Seagulls that poo on my car
4) Vimto
Did your B12 injections sort the memory issues? My memory has been ruined since my diagnosis and starting on 1000mg Metformin/day just over a year ago. Not where I want to be with my 1Ac yet, its at 50 mol/mol, so I can't knock it on the head yet but I want to be off it in 6-12 months if I can.

chrismk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did your B12 injections sort the memory issues? My memory has been ruined since my diagnosis and starting on 1000mg Metformin/day just over a year ago. Not where I want to be with my 1Ac yet, its at 50 mol/mol, so I can't knock it on the head yet but I want to be off it in 6-12 months if I can.
My GP has been very good in letting me have injections every two months and they do sort the memory out for a while but in the last two weeks before the injection is due my memory goes "fuzzy" again. Hope this helps.

EveCarter42

I hadn't equated my fuzzy memory to the metformin but now you mention it.... I think I need to go and ask the dr. I have Vitamin D issues and Iron problems and I wonder if this is all linked. (though I do know the vitamin D is lack of sunshine)

Sarahlou404

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You will probably find you have a low b12 due to the diabetes and not the metformin.
I was diagnosed with an extremely low b12 the same time as the diabetes and the GP said it was down to the diabetes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will probably find you have a low b12 due to the diabetes and not the metformin.
I was diagnosed with an extremely low b12 the same time as the diabetes and the GP said it was down to the diabetes

Long term use of Metformin actually prevents absorption of B12 from food, so B12 deficiency is very common when people have been using Metformin for several years. Ideally, people should supplement with B12 throughout their use of Metformin, and be monitored for deficiency. But few doctors know about the connection, so don't look for it. Which is a pity.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/719043
B12 deficiency can also be due to other things, of course... :)

fuzzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have the B12 deficiency and folic acid too. I asked if it was the metformin causing it after looking to see if it was likely to be my new GPL injection, even the pharmacist at work didn't realise there was a link. Mine was found in tests looking for frozen shoulder problems. Still on metformin but 2000mg instead of 3000. They tried to blame my diet or bowel problems. It is neither if these

Beattie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been struggling with B12 deficiency caused by metformin = 2-monthly injections, tiredness, fuzzy memory, etc. I've been on the LCHF diet since last April and have lost 11 kg with 3 kg still to go but medication reduced by GP accordingly and this morning she has finally agreed to take me off metformin! Hba1C = 41 and medication down to 1 x sitagliptin and 40mg gliclazide. Hooray! Will still take the B12 injections in the interim as I don't know how long it takes for the effect of metformin to wear off and for B12 levels to stabilise naturally?
That's brilliant, congratulations! I've been discovered to have B12 deficiency - after years on Metformin. I'm now on Insulin and Vildagliptin but have been inspired by your success to plan a low carb diet. I'm given to understand that I'll need ongoing B12 top-ups but have been heartened by your positive result. Well done and all the best with your future control.