I have been taking a cinnamon supplement from US which does seem to help to stabilise my blood sugar

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I notice that the Diabetes UK shop sells cinnamon supplements so I could buy it in the UK now. I am hust wondering if there are adverse effects from taking Cinnamon - should I have a break now and then? Is the dose critical?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that the Diabetes UK shop sells cinnamon supplements so I could buy it in the UK now. I am hust wondering if there are adverse effects from taking Cinnamon - should I have a break now and then? Is the dose critical?

I love cinnamon, and am not aware if any adverse effects from consuming it. That said, I take it in powdered form, on my breakfast yoghurt, or via sticks in various recipes. I just like the taste of it.

To be honest, I have heard about cinnamon being good for us, but I haven't specifically done any reading on it. What sort of doses are are you taking?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

as I have read about it there are two kinds of cinnamons, the one is actually lowering the blood glucose some , but taken in larger doses over longer time there should be something in the cinemon that can be somewhat poisonous, and the other kind of cinnamon doesn´t work but seems not to contain the poisonous component/chemical/matter so it seems maybe to be the not so healthy part of the cinnamon that actually works in lowering blood glucose..
But I am not sure if this is something the medical companies claims to keep people from using a widespread and cheap spice like a nature medicine and thereby loose market parts by selling less diabetes medicine... WHO really knows for sure..

but cinnamon the cheapest kind is the effective king and to Work as a medicine one should maybe eat like 3-4 big spoonfulls a day and that is a lot more then the average person use inhis or her food... so I really don´t know if that can be a road to take.. not if one gets liver or kidney damage from it anyway... ...

used once in a while in foods ... if one has no troubles with ones inner organs I guess will be okay...

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/cinnamon_alert.html/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445647-is-too-much-cinnamon-bad-for-you/

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
thank you for the replies. so cassia helps the blood sugar but may cause liver/kidney damage and ceylon does not cause damge but may not help the blood sugar!