Skiing!! Help!!

Cashers12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys,
Currently on day 1 of my first ski trip. I am really struggling and after helpful tips. I'm have to run my sugars up because I'm going from 18-7 in less than 2 hours. Making me feel rubbish but can find anything to keep them more regular.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Cashers12 Tagging @Juicyj for you. I've never been skiing but for intense exercise I either top up with glucose/snacks as I go, or reduce my basal rate and sometimes my pre-exercise meal bolus too.

If it's the first time you've been, it will take a bit of experimentation to find what works for you.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Cashers12 just back from France and have some tips if they help.. I always ski with a bag of jelly babies in the pocket as hypo awareness at altitude is poor, so as soon as I can stop to test I do, generally at the ski lifts. I keep my meter next to my body to keep it warm otherwise my meter gives me an error message. I try to start the day with carbs so bread/porridge to keep my BG levels up, if I'm out all day skiing I reduce my basal by 50%, if just a half day I top up with glucose, so stop for a hot choc mid morning - testing is the key.

If I am going to be honest my Bg levels aren't great when skiing, too many adjustments for exercise then eating carbs at night so I have to just take a mental holiday when skiing, I literally just aim to avoid going low so I can ski every day and not get floored with a hypo :)

Reactions: azure and therower

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys,
Currently on day 1 of my first ski trip. I am really struggling and after helpful tips. I'm have to run my sugars up because I'm going from 18-7 in less than 2 hours. Making me feel rubbish but can find anything to keep them more regular.
I'm guessing this is downhill skiing? Have only ever skied cross country but agree with @Juicyj make sure you keep your bg meter warmish and keep snacks on you all the time. I normally top up every two hours / when a break is necessary with an oat biscuit - skiing is such a chaos as you have cold weather, exercise and adrenaline! Good luck and have fun!!

Reactions: azure

rachiej

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Cashers12, I've just had two weeks skiing in Swizterland & France. I lower my basel injection to about half when I'm skiing. This seems to help. I have a carborhydrate breakfast, porridge, banana. I try to begin the day skiing a little high, around 9 or 10. I keep 'Clif" bars in my backpack, they are delicious, and nibble on those throughout the day. And test every two hours at least. I usually eat pasta for lunch and bolus for that. One thing I do notice is that I will go low if I've been drinking the night before, so I go a bit easier on the apres ski as it makes the next day much more manageable.

Cashers12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much guys for all your help. Falling over less is definitely helping keep it under better control. I guess every day is a learning day x

Reactions: Juicyj