Psyllium Husks

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking to buy whole Psyllium Husks. I think these are better than the ground as read about a rice pudding recipe made with this :p They are quite expensive so where do you get yours?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would be careful with psyllium, it is a colon cleanser, eg it can give you the runs. You have to take it, make you sure you have it with loads of water or it can cause blockages. Read up on it before you decide to take a large quantity.

WhitbyJet

Lemonie, dawn is right, you need to be careful with psyllium husks, too many of them and you will end up with tummy ache!!

If you fancy rice pudding, try these instead:

Chocolate Faux-rice pudding:
100 grams Ricotta Cheese - drained
1 egg
1 tbsp double cream
vanilla
cinnamon & Splenda to taste
1tsp cocoa powder

mix ricotta, egg, and cream till thuroughly blended
add vanilla, then cinnamon, cocoa, and splenda to taste

micorwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring once.

This makes a wonderful chocolate custard. The ricotta adds a texture which is similar to rice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faux-rice pudding:
1 cauliflower, large
200ml double cream
1 tbsp protein powder
20g Butter
sweetener
cinnamon
vanilla
tiny pinch of salt

Grate the cauliflower to resemble rice grains, for this recipe its best not to grate the stems, they have a strong taste (save them and make soup or cheesy cauli mash or fritters later). Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water, careful you dont overcook or it will go mushy, you want a little bit of bite. Drain well. Dont cook this in the miccrowave because the water helps to get rid of the cauliflower taste.
Mix the cream, sweetener, protein powder and vanilla, make sure there are no lumps, add a tiny bit of salt and the rice, heat through, dont boil. Mix some more granular sweetener with a little cinnamon and sprinkle over your rice pudding.
Melt butter in a pan until it begins to brown, pour over the rice and serve.

Its comfort food!!

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I will hold off until I have tried other things first :thumbup:

Am defo going to try the rice pudding recipes .. nom

Reactions: callyandy

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Lemonie, I take 2 teaspoons of Psyllium Husks everyday to avoid constipation whilst low carbing. It should be taken in a glass of water follwed by another glass. They cost 90p - £1.20p per packet depending on the size of it and can be bought from any local Indian/Pakistani shop, regards, Deb

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find the problem with Psyllium husks is that one dessertspoonful has 9 carbs! I resent using all those carbs on something so foul- tasting!!

Reactions: callyandy