Oopsie bread and psyllium seed husks

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the recipe for "Oopsie" bread on this forum and thought I'd try it. I cannot find psyllium seed husks anywhere locally, so I thought I'd try online. Can anyone recommend a good place to get them? AND - if you've made the bread, how was it? Thank you!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I buy psyllium husk powder online from Bulk Powders. (They only sell the powder, not the whole husks I think). I like the bread. Just remember to lower your expectations a bit as it won't taste like yeasty bread.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use the powder to make the Oopsie bread? Yeah, I don't expect the bread to taste the same, but a decent substitution would be just fine. :)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I bought the husks on amazon, they are pretty easy to find. I use the oopsie recipe on the link above, scroll down to recipes. It uses 1/2 tbsp of psyllium which helps the buns taste a little more bread-like. The seeds on top help too.

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both, Avocado and Etty! I will try both recipes, perhaps this weekend. :) Much appreciated.

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pho
02 Sept 14 - Bacon on Phoopsie 2345.JPG
11 Sept 14 - Pizza 2515.JPG
18 Aug 14  - Egg on Phoopsie Sausage n Salad 2194.JPG
26 10 14 - Pizza ready to Cook 3363.JPG
26 10 14 - Pizza ready to Eat 3365.JPG
31 Aug 14 - Phoopsie 2331.JPG

Phoopsies (Psyllium Husk Oopsies)
Makes 12 good sized buns
Middle Oven
Gas mark 3 for 35 minutes

6 Large Eggs
160g Cream cheese (Prefer Basic Sainsbury / Tesco own)
1/2 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
Pinch Salt
25g Psyllium Husks
20g butter

1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar added to Egg Whites

Separate eggs and then:

Beat egg whites until stiff (I then put mine in fridge until needed)

Mix all the other ingredients together and then add Egg whites gently to main mix.

Can add seeds/berries as preferred - I made one larger one with 1 heaped teaspoon of cocoa and pressed blueberries into when on the tray. Was a bit heavy, as if not totally cooked, but think the vanilla essence may have been the reason - too much liquid. Tasted okay, but not great - will try again without the cocoa and vanilla.
Spoon onto baking tray to preferred size ( I have found Teflon Cooking mats to be perfect as the buns come off them better than from non-stick trays/tins). I found it best to cook one tray at a time, the others I put into the fridge.

Keep in freezer if not to be eaten within a few days.

This is where I bought my Psyllium Husks from back in August and unlike the complaints by our American cousins they are not gritty:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Hea...XUM98/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=AG3XDG06MP2K4

Sold by NaturalHealth4Life
Psyllium Husks 1kg £10.75 + £3.00 Postage
(at the moment they are selling it for £7.49 + £3.00 shipping) 1Kg is way too much, but is has a run out day of 2016.

I prefer these to those made with ground almonds, have tried it with both and took me a couple of weeks to eat them as they were not very nice. I usually lightly toast mine, cover them in butter and full fat cream cheese and then add whatever I want. I am going to try and add a few photos, of the buns with various toppings and a pizza.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oat bran would substitute too and that's everywhere and cheap

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning Jack412, 'oat bran would substitute too and that's everywhere and cheap'
Perhaps it would, but not if spikes your BG ...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning Jack412, 'oat bran would substitute too and that's everywhere and cheap'
Perhaps it would, but not if spikes your BG ...
oat bran won't spike ..it's oat bran the carbs are mostly fibre,..barley bran is better and you can use the husks from all these grain and get zero like psyllium husks
upload_2014-12-12_21-33-21.png

Last edited by a moderator:

phatchef

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar, excercise
Depending on where you live of course, but most large towns/cities will have them.....Asian supermarkets or minimarts!!! brilliant places to track down Ground almond flour, coconut flour AND oil and especially Psyllium Husk. All of these are way cheaper than the health food shops and even online prices. I shop at a couple in Pill, Newport for instance. As I say most large towns would have one these days. The Husk I look for is branded Sat-Isabgol. Works wonders on the digestive system, keeps you regular! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wczyIndia.jpg/200px-ProduktSpożywczyIndia.jpg

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Very good as a digestive aid, but 9 carbs per dessertspoonful is off-putting!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it :) It appears in so many low carb recipes & I'm used to a high fibre vegetarian diet so I'd be lost without it.

Reactions: Judlepip