Night Time Snacking

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Salad. I have a cucumber and balsamic vinegar. Mostly water so mostly good.

Got told by a doctor once. This Hunger won't kill you.

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your figures are already telling you what the problem is. You are still hooked on sugar and your brain picks the worst time of the day to get you to eat more of the stuff! There is no easy way to wean yourself away from carbs but you have to persist and that starts with dumping bread, pasta and rice COMPLETELY! It's like giving up cigarettes in that the cravings start to go away after only a couple of weeks. I did not think I could ever give up eating the foods I have lived on for many years until I too was diagnosed with T2D and realised it was the rubbish I had shoveled down my throat that had caused it! A low carb high fat diet has now let me lose more than 35 pounds in two months, so it can be done. To stop you snacking on them, you need to gets rid of the foods that are killing you and persevere for a couple of weeks until your brain works out that sugar is not on the agenda any more. If you do have a lapse, be honest with yourself and realise you are back to square one - then start again, but don't give up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am hearing about this high fat, low carb diet and would like
To know, how much carbs should I be having per day, and how much fat, please. It's a bit new & confusing to me as I have always gone for low fat. Also I am getting cramp in my legs early morning. And other than not drinking coffee & high caffeine drinks & drinking more water, is there something I should do, to avoid this, please?

I am on 2 x metformin (500 mg) morning & evening. (2000 mg. daily) plus 1 x Dapaglflozin 10mg mid morning. Also

Adcal-D3 chewable tutti fruity twice daily.

Daily.....

Cetrizine 1 x 10 mg
Omeprazole 1 x 20mg
Tamoxifen 20 x mg
Simvastatin 40 x mg
Levothyroxine sodium 150 mcg

If you start your own thread about this you will get more response because discussing your question on this thread will complicate the original poster's problem. :)

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Snacks for me are the following:
Nuts
Port Crackling/Scratchings
Cheese
Chicken

I can relate to your issues and I still struggle myself. The 'addiction' to all carbs is huge - it does go if you can stop eating them but as soon as you go back to them it is back again and you start the process all over again (this because I allowed myself a few carbs extra over the holiday period and still trying to get back to where I was - thankfully I am almost there).

I know of some who eat peanut butter but literally straight out of the jar on it's own - but you need to make sure the one you are eating is just peanuts and nothing more.

If I eat around 5pm then I factor in a snack option for later so that I can eat it if I feel I need to.

Do you eat the full fat version of Greek Yogurt? because this is what I eat for breakfast every day and this really works on keeping the hunger at bay for me - but I have tried Greek Style Yogurt and it is not the same and does not keep me from being hungry.

You could also try a few strawberries cut up and double cream - keep to berries as they are the best option carbs wise......

Hoping the above might help, I still feel I am learning and it has been a slow process for me including the weight loss but it is working I am pleased to say.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You could actually have 'Night eating syndrome'. It is a medically recognised problem and they are still doing research on it. I too have the munchies at night and it doesen't matter what I eat I always wake up in the middle of the night hungry.
As I inject insulin I am able to monitor my BS though.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - bacon - I keep mine in the freezer, so when I want some, I peel off the wrapper and put it in the pan, then pour boiling water from the kettle over it before simmering for a while, until about a minute after the rashers have separated. I then sieve out the meat and put it back into the pan, and a lot of the salt and preserving stuff is gone down the sink. Bacon and eggs is a great supper - you can add mushrooms, a tomato, maybe a sausage if you happen to have some in the fridge. The great thing about a low carb diet is there is always something you can eat. I used to have a roast chicken in the fridge for emergencies, but now there's just the two of us and no ravenous teenagers it wouldn't get eaten.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Balsamic vinegar has added sugar - I use olive oil and ordinary wine vinegar as a dressing.
Hello

It sure does, but the 5ml makes it soooo nice. It's all about portion control.

I will try your suggestion and see if I'm just being a snob

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your figures are already telling you what the problem is. You are still hooked on sugar and your brain picks the worst time of the day to get you to eat more of the stuff! There is no easy way to wean yourself away from carbs but you have to persist and that starts with dumping bread, pasta and rice COMPLETELY! It's like giving up cigarettes in that the cravings start to go away after only a couple of weeks. I did not think I could ever give up eating the foods I have lived on for many years until I too was diagnosed with T2D and realised it was the rubbish I had shoveled down my throat that had caused it! A low carb high fat diet has now let me lose more than 35 pounds in two months, so it can be done. To stop you snacking on them, you need to gets rid of the foods that are killing you and persevere for a couple of weeks until your brain works out that sugar is not on the agenda any more. If you do have a lapse, be honest with yourself and realise you are back to square one - then start again, but don't give up.
I want to do LCHF but run out of ideas for meals very quickly and end up eating the same things day in day out and eventually fail

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snacks for me are the following:
Nuts
Port Crackling/Scratchings
Cheese
Chicken

I can relate to your issues and I still struggle myself. The 'addiction' to all carbs is huge - it does go if you can stop eating them but as soon as you go back to them it is back again and you start the process all over again (this because I allowed myself a few carbs extra over the holiday period and still trying to get back to where I was - thankfully I am almost there).

I know of some who eat peanut butter but literally straight out of the jar on it's own - but you need to make sure the one you are eating is just peanuts and nothing more.

If I eat around 5pm then I factor in a snack option for later so that I can eat it if I feel I need to.

Do you eat the full fat version of Greek Yogurt? because this is what I eat for breakfast every day and this really works on keeping the hunger at bay for me - but I have tried Greek Style Yogurt and it is not the same and does not keep me from being hungry.

You could also try a few strawberries cut up and double cream - keep to berries as they are the best option carbs wise......

Hoping the above might help, I still feel I am learning and it has been a slow process for me including the weight loss but it is working I am pleased to say.
Yes it's the full fat version and i also put mixed berries in, having it breakfast and supper now, definitely helping

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to admit I now look at meals differently. The food I used to eat was killing me and the food I now eat isn't! Even if it does get a bit boring, it's allowing me to get rid of my excess weight by not eating carbs and forcing my body to use up the fat stored all around me. If I start to fixate on what I can't eat, I have an apple then look in the mirror. The face looking back at me usually tells me to zip it and get real. I got too big a fright when I realised I could die young, or worse, I could end up getting limbs removed and be buried in installments.
Having said all that, there are literally thousands of low carb recipes that hail from the land of the giant asses, namely the USA. Yes it takes a bit of work to print them off then buy the ingredients etc. but the meals are superb and very very low carb! Makes me wonder why they are all so bloody huge over there...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too need fat with all meals.
Do you like avocado? The fat and fiber are very satisfying. I eat some with every meal. Great source of healthy fat. If I just ate meat and veggies even with oil or butter I would be ravenous. I need hardiest fats. I don't do dairy so cream and cheese are out for me but good options if you eat dairy.

Snacks could be hard boiled egg with mayo, chicken, etc. I tend to just eat protein with meals and snacks are fat like nuts.

If I ate bread I would be ravenous too. Carbs turn on the hunger hormones!!!

What do your standard meals look like?

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A regular snack I have for lunch is to cut a hunk of cheddar into several cubes, do the same with half a tin of corned beef and a fairly large portiob of beetroot. The beetroot has carbs in it but only around 10 in a portion, making it acceptable. If that doesn't fill you up, add some more cheddar. Works for me...

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to admit I now look at meals differently. The food I used to eat was killing me and the food I now eat isn't! Even if it does get a bit boring, it's allowing me to get rid of my excess weight by not eating carbs and forcing my body to use up the fat stored all around me. If I start to fixate on what I can't eat, I have an apple then look in the mirror. The face looking back at me usually tells me to zip it and get real. I got too big a fright when I realised I could die young, or worse, I could end up getting limbs removed and be buried in installments.
Having said all that, there are literally thousands of low carb recipes that hail from the land of the giant asses, namely the USA. Yes it takes a bit of work to print them off then buy the ingredients etc. but the meals are superb and very very low carb! Makes me wonder why they are all so bloody huge over there...
Will have to look about for ideas and recipes but i'm quite fussy which is a problem when i am cutting out a major part of my diet

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too need fat with all meals.
Do you like avocado? The fat and fiber are very satisfying. I eat some with every meal. Great source of healthy fat. If I just ate meat and veggies even with oil or butter I would be ravenous. I need hardiest fats. I don't do dairy so cream and cheese are out for me but good options if you eat dairy.

Snacks could be hard boiled egg with mayo, chicken, etc. I tend to just eat protein with meals and snacks are fat like nuts.

If I ate bread I would be ravenous too. Carbs turn on the hunger hormones!!!

What do your standard meals look like?
Trying to eat less carbs but struggling for ideas cos my standard meal before that could be something as simple as sausage egg chips and beans

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to eat less carbs but struggling for ideas cos my standard meal before that could be something as simple as sausage egg chips and beans
high meat content sausage (look for 97% meat) eggs and bacon is an excellent low carb high fat meal...maybe add some mushrooms..

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's your brain trying to force you back towards the sugar! It picks it's moments when your feeling down in the hope you will give in and eat something sweet! You have to fight it. It only takes a week or so before the cravings disappear. Think long term, not short snack. If I have to have something sweet, I have a packet of sugar free boiled sweets that every chemists in Britain seems to sell for some obscure reason. A few of them keep your brain happy.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Skip the chips and beans and add avocado. It's the only thing that tames my hunger beast.