Usual insulin intake

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

Just after some idea as to how much insulin you take I am day, as I am curious about HFLC diet but unsure it it benefits T1s.

My regime is
Morning 8u levemir
Breakfast 2u Novorapid
Lunch 4u Novorapid
Tea 6u Novorapid
Evening 10u Levemir

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take approx 7 units basal insulin and my meal boluses vary from 2-5 units normally but obviously more if I eat lots!

I eat approx 180g carbs a day and for me the secret of good control is to avoid excessive carbs and use insulin appropriately. I don't go very low carb as I find it easier to maintain control with some carbs.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Until Monday in on 15 units lantus am, 9 pm. 1:1.5 for breakfast and 1:1 for the rest of the day. On average I have 50/60g carbs each meal unless it's a take out.

I've now got a pump and going live with insulin on Monday :).

Reactions: Robinredbreast

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The less carbs, the less insulin and less room for error. Currently on about 80g per day but can vary.

I been a very long term lower carber. It's done my diabetes ok. Currently on 9.5 tresiba and from 3-7 units bolus depending on food. Basal decreases a lot if I have to go for ops and nil by mouth etc. Then it can drop as low as 5 units.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

Just after some idea as to how much insulin you take I am day, as I am curious about HFLC diet but unsure it it benefits T1s.

My regime is
Morning 8u levemir
Breakfast 2u Novorapid
Lunch 4u Novorapid
Tea 6u Novorapid
Evening 10u Levemir

Are you carb counting then? It seems like you are on fixed doses for meals. If you're going to consider reducing your carb intake, you really need to be confident in adjusting your insulin to cover the carbs you are eating.

There's some stuff on average total daily dose roughly by weight, but even those guides accept that there isn't really an average. The right amount of insulin is how ever much is needed to keep you in range, it's going to vary by the individuals weight, activity levels, stress levels, illness, hormones and diet.

My TDD varies between 26-43 (at least it has over the last week or so) depending on what I'm eating and what I'm up to.

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not on fixed doses as my current carb ratio is 12:1u
I am counting carbs but this may change to 15:1u depending on next appointment.

I was just interested what others are doing and how they split their doses.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Coopsman1 , your TDD (total daily dose adding up your basal & bolus) is just 30u which is very good, my own TDD is on average around 32u.

Reactions: azure

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 2 units lantus at 10 pm.
My bf bolus is 1/2-1 depending on my fasting. Then an hour later 1/2-1 to stop the morning activity rise.
Lunch bolus is 1/2
Dinner is 1 but I eat more protein and veggies than at bf and lunch.

I eat less than 20 c per day

My last 3 A1c's were 5.1. Rarely hypo and rarely spike. I do eat small high fat meals

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A typical day for me would be around 4 units novorapid for breakfast, 5 for lunch, 13 for dinner and 9 units Lantus at 2130. If it wasn't for the bowl of ice cream with a flake on top every night I could knock 6 off dinner. Only have it if I do an hours bike ride, so make sure I get the bike ride in every day! About 220g of carbs a day.

samantha13

Hey! I'm on quite high doses but I am overweight and insulin resistant so am working on it! I take 24u levimer at night and 8u in morning. My ratio is 2u to 10g at breakfast, 1.5u to 10g at lunch and 1u to 10g at dinner. I eat around 150-200g carbs a day.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - my insulin needs vary each day, try to eat low ish carbs around 35 for breakfast 40 - 50 at lunch and anything from 30 - 90 at dinner (if decide to really treat myself) - i carb count taking 1u:9 at breakfast 1u:6.5 at lunch and 1:u8 at dinner with 6 units Toujeo at 8:30pm try to time pre-bolus as best i can but not always successfully :-(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My whole day : - x3 Novorapid and 1x 9 or 10 units of Levemir at bedtime, averages out at 28/30 units of Insulin.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My average daily amount swings between 30u and 60u, entirely dependent on what carbs I eat.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am pumping and yesterday had;

61.45u in total
146g carbs
36.35u of basal

So more than most on here due to my build and appetite....;)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My units seem really high compared to you guys
Morning 18 units Levemir and 14 units of Humalog
Lunch is 10 units of Humalog
Dinner is 14 units of Humalog
Bedtime is 22 units of Levemir

I recently changed to Levemir and I am trying to get my head around it. I found I was having highish levels mid morning and my test before breakfast was increasing by about 2/3 units during the night

I switched my Levemir from 22 units in morning and 18 at night to the other way around and this seems to have improved things

Do other people tend to take more Levemir in evening or morning

Forgot to add, I am male slightly overweight and been T1 for 36 years

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi coops
Thanks @noblehead I believe I am still in my honey moon period, but here is to hoping it remains small amounts
Hiya, I never came out the honeymoon period, which I'd been warned about! Not sure if this is common or not. Hopefully your insulin needs don't change too much.

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My units seem really high compared to you guys
Morning 18 units Levemir and 14 units of Humalog
Lunch is 10 units of Humalog
Dinner is 14 units of Humalog
Bedtime is 22 units of Levemir

I recently changed to Levemir and I am trying to get my head around it. I found I was having highish levels mid morning and my test before breakfast was increasing by about 2/3 units during the night

I switched my Levemir from 22 units in morning and 18 at night to the other way around and this seems to have improved things

Do other people tend to take more Levemir in evening or morning

Forgot to add, I am male slightly overweight and been T1 for 36 years
Hi @smc4761 I to take more Levemir in the evening. I was experiencing lows throughout the day and was advised to reduce morning, and increase evening to compensate the highs in the morning

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Evening all,

My regime is
Morning 8u levemir
Breakfast 2u Novorapid
Lunch 4u Novorapid
Tea 6u Novorapid
Evening 10u Levemir

Mine is quite different than what others posted on this forum thread - I would worry about that except my control is quite good even if my dosages are somewhat different - so here's mine - on a normal work day -
Morning/Breakfast 10u of Humulog
Lunch 10u of Humulog
Dinner 10u of Humulog
Evening 23u Lantus
(this varies by one or two units depending on what I'm eating)

Weekends (semi-fasting)
Morning 4u of Humulog (this deals with the stress of getting up - incrfeases my blood sugars a bit)
Evening Dinner snack 6u of Humulog (I don;t true fast, I have a small meal - snack)
Evening 23u of Lantus (this doasge seldom changes - when I first went on it I was taking 38u which was way too much and now take much less)

fortunately weight is not an issue for me - what I've tested today - 7.2 (2 hours after breakfast) 6.8 (2 hours after lunch) - pre dinner test will likely run between 6 - 8 and bedtime test usually runs between 4 - 8

weekends I usually stay in the 4s all day

Reactions: Coopsman1