Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Some things to add to the 'avoid' list is porridge and many beans and anything called 'low fat'.

If you are wondering what to have in place of bread then something you may be interested in is that Lidl do a high protein roll (very much like a wholemeal roll with bits in) which many people on this forum can tolerate. Its dark brown and triangular in the loose rolls baskets.

khanm78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most Veg
I would like to thank you all for the great input, it has gone a long way allowing me to gather alot of real world info in one small place. I will read any new comments and information as it comes in, at the moment I am taking what has been shared and working to make a sustainable shopping list that I can try and convert into a monthly variety food menu inc snacks.
with regards to carb counting I seem to be doing it right but I will keep an eye on pre & post levels. with any luck this should help me feel satisfied and healthier whilst still enjoying food.

again thank you all.
Mo

grant12888

Not to long ago I started the LCHF life style all seems to be going ok, my BG is stable and mostly within range.
I do get hungry from time to time ( looking at making safe snacks ) and I still have the "I WANT SUGAR" but thats my demon to fight.

the thing is im finding it hard to understand what carbs are ok to disregard what i have seen floating around as good carbs ( if any ) and what should be counted in as part of daily carbs ( not looking at 0 carbs ).
so far I have been counting every carb based on the per 100g packaging and then calculating it to the individual items weight. am I doing it right?

is there a chance a more informed person or persons could make or direct me to a sticky about how to carb count foods and what foods are counted towards the carb count and if any what foods are not counted.
I want to make a list to better aid me when shopping for foods.

I have been using the low carb food list from: http://www.etoolsage.com/Chart/Low_Carb_Foods_List.asp?
is this a good thing, should I keep using it?

Just need to add this thread is not about recipes or meals but individual food items such as sausages, carrots, almonds etc etc

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

grant12888

I have been on LCHF for 4 weeks now Last week I stopped all meds was on 9 pills and 4 injections a day. May be a bit quick to chuck them all out as my BG is often 10 or 11. Went to see doctor and diabetic nurse but they just keep banging the drum of low fat plenty of carbs and punp yourself full of insulin.
I think you should look at trying to eliminate all carbs I dont reckon there are any good carb foods

Reactions: kimrooney89