BG readings all over the place

grant12888

I have been on a LCHF diet now for 4 weeks. After 3 weeks I stopped all my meds 9 pills a day and 4 injections. Now maybe this is a bit quick as some of my readings are often 10 or 11. I have reintroduced Metfornim 2 a day but find its strange that I can have a reading of say 6 or 7 eat nothing and then go at for a 4k walk and when I get back my BG is 10 ot 11. Whats that all about

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your liver dumping glucose for all the extra energy needed for a 4k walk on an empty stomach. Not a good idea generally. Try something fatty before your walk next time and see if that helps.

I take it your injections were insulin? What were the other pills? Levels of 10 or 11 are not good either, but I guess you know this.

grant12888

It sounds like your liver dumping glucose for all the extra energy needed for a 4k walk on an empty stomach. Not a good idea generally. Try something fatty before your walk next time and see if that helps.

I take it your injections were insulin? What were the other pills? Levels of 10 or 11 are not good either, but I guess you know this.
Was on 4 metformin, 4 gliclazide and 1 statin. injecting 2 insulin 30ml and 2 exenatide

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was on 4 metformin, 4 gliclazide and 1 statin. injecting 2 insulin 30ml and 2 exenatide

You were taking some strong arm meds there. Did you come off all of that under your Doctor's supervision, or did you decide for yourself?

grant12888

You were taking some strong arm meds there. Did you come off all of that under your Doctor's supervision, or did you decide for yourself?
went for it myself I did speak to a doctor at the practice and realised that what she knew about diabetes could be written on a postage stamp. She put me onto the diabetic nursenwho goes on about eating carbs, low fat and portion size etc etc not a lot of help

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
went for it myself I did speak to a doctor at the practice and realised that what she knew about diabetes could be written on a postage stamp. She put me onto the diabetic nursenwho goes on about eating carbs, low fat and portion size etc etc not a lot of help

May I ask why you took yourself off everything, and in particular, why you stopped them all at once?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seemed like a good idea at the time

That really is a lot to stop at once and your body is probably quite shocked by it.

Now, it's not my place, or that of anyone else on here to tell you to stop/start or modify your medication. Even those who are medics or HCPs are here in personal capacities, but I would urge you to think through what you have done so suddenly, and to seek professional support again.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
grant12888, I can't speak to the medication issues because I chose to not go that route though I do know one gentleman who did what you did, and he did get his numbers down as he continued to learn how the diet works.

My treatment team wasn't knowledgeable about the LCHF diet so supported me instead with monitoring in the form of quarterly lab work as I continued on the LCHF diet. As my "numbers" improved, they became enthusiastic supporters.

I'm in the USA so am in a different time zone from most here. Would like to help if I can. The LCHF diet and walking is a good strategy.

What would you like to know? I do best answering practical, how to questions. Been doing the LCHF diet and LCKD for two years. Perhaps you could benefit from mine and others experience here. :)

Again, welcome. Lots of kind, supportive people here. :)

Lisa

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have eaten LCHF doing Atkins for a long time, but even so I have had some strange readings from time to time. Food is not the only source of blood glucose, so it is quite a complex juggling act and difficult to sort out if things are not going to plan. I have has some higher than expected readings, which might be due to foods not being what they appear to be from the description on the menu, but they have also occurred at home. My levels have been dropping on average from week to week - so that I do not see high spikes after meals, but my fasting levels are usually higher than normal, but even they drop down into the 5s or 6s, just not very often.
I suggest doing a lot of testing, and also eating small meals spread through the day - you might find that you tolerate carbs more easily at some times of day depending on when you sleep and when you exercise. I find that it is not just the quantity of carbs but also the sources of them - legumes are something I avoid as they spike my levels for a long time but an equal amount of carbs as berries is nothing like so high a spike and gone much faster.

Reactions: Prem51