LCHF diet - has anybody else lost too much weight?

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have been T2 diabetic for almost 15 years. After being prescribed Metformin after a HBA1C reading of 65 last May, I went on the LCHF diet and was overjoyed when I lost weight (around 1 ½ stone) AND my latest reading (December) was 42! I never actually took any medication, just did some research and decided to go LCHF and see how I got on first. The trouble is that my BMI is now too low and my doctor, while supporting the results of my diet, is concerned that I am still losing weight. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here DianeW001

many others in this forum has mentioned that , many seems to be able to control it by eating a bit more nuts...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that there are Atkins books on line which describe how to add in more carbs bit by bit in order to slow down and stop losing weight. If not then an actual copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution will have all you need to know about maintaining weight - so in theory just allowing yourself to eat a few more gm of carb each day should result in a gradual gaining of weight.
That assumes that you are still producing insulin, and are not resistant to its effects - of course.

Reactions: Freema

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Diane.

When you say your BMI is too low; how low is it?

I'm not trying to be intrusive or too personal, but depending on how low it is, it would make a difference to anything I might suggest.

Secondly, do you self test, and if you do what sort of blood ranges are you getting these days?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Well done on the weight loss and the blood readings!
BMI is a very rough measure that has to accommodate all sorts of body shapes and sizes. It depends very much on your build and muscularity where in the ranges you come. Normal BMI is 18 to 25 I think, a big range, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you want to increase weight, you can stay LCHF but just eat a bit more of everything.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I am having a similar problem my weight has gone down past where I wanted to be, my wife and family also my neurologist and GP are getting concerned that I have lost a bit too much. I am making incremental adjustments to my carbs and calories weight went up a little but then dropped back again, fine tuning is difficult I think.

Jo123

Yes I did, stabilised my weight to a bmi of 19 by eating loads of nuts and olive oil on everything.
My gp is quite happy with my low carb diet, weight and hba1c.

grant12888

Hi,

I have been T2 diabetic for almost 15 years. After being prescribed Metformin after a HBA1C reading of 65 last May, I went on the LCHF diet and was overjoyed when I lost weight (around 1 ½ stone) AND my latest reading (December) was 42! I never actually took any medication, just did some research and decided to go LCHF and see how I got on first. The trouble is that my BMI is now too low and my doctor, while supporting the results of my diet, is concerned that I am still losing weight. Has anybody else had this problem?

I wish

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was LCHF (still am of course) and lost a lot of weight within the first 12 months. Then I couldn't stop losing. I kept a strict food diary including portion sizes and weighed a lot of things. Using this I increased my calories - definitely not carbs. I added extra eggs (an extra 1 every day), introduced cheese to my diet as I hadn't eaten that previously, and a glass of red in the evenings. It was a fine balancing act and took quite a while to get that balance right, but I did eventually. Gained a couple of pounds, and have maintained this now for over 2 years. So basically, I increased fat and protein calories with the eggs and cheese.That worked for me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

How many calories do you reckon you actually eat every day?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John, I am the same at a BMI of 22 I look very thin and my dermatologist, who is quite a slim lady, told me not to lose any more weight when she checked out my back for problem moles the other day. Problem is I don't feel hungry on lchf. regards Derek
Yes I am having a similar problem my weight has gone down past where I wanted to be, my wife and family also my neurologist and GP are getting concerned that I have lost a bit too much. I am making incremental adjustments to my carbs and calories weight went up a little but then dropped back again, fine tuning is difficult I think.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope to have a similar problem in 3 or 4 months when I reach my target weight.

I think the first thing I'll do is to buy a 16 ounce steak instead of the skimpy 8 ounce ones I'm eating today.

whatever the answer it is likely to involve calorie counting and finding some extra food you can safely eat to stabilise your weight at your target level.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You drop the carbs, you drop the weight. You add more carbs, you add the weight. This is usually the case. The hard part is finding a balance. Eating enough carbs to add weight, but not upsetting your BG too much and then finding the number that maintains your weight at the weight you want. It's all easier said then done.

Or you can add more protein to your diet and see if that works.

It's up to the individual to decide what path they take.

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that there are Atkins books on line which describe how to add in more carbs bit by bit in order to slow down and stop losing weight. If not then an actual copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution will have all you need to know about maintaining weight - so in theory just allowing yourself to eat a few more gm of carb each day should result in a gradual gaining of weight.
That assumes that you are still producing insulin, and are not resistant to its effects - of course.

Thank you - I will give the Dr Atkins book a read.

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Diane.

When you say your BMI is too low; how low is it?

I'm not trying to be intrusive or too personal, but depending on how low it is, it would make a difference to anything I might suggest.

Secondly, do you self test, and if you do what sort of blood ranges are you getting these days?

Hi, and thank you for your reply. My BMI is 17.8, I don't self test and just have the HBA1C readings to go off.

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss and the blood readings!
BMI is a very rough measure that has to accommodate all sorts of body shapes and sizes. It depends very much on your build and muscularity where in the ranges you come. Normal BMI is 18 to 25 I think, a big range, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you want to increase weight, you can stay LCHF but just eat a bit more of everything.

Thank you, I will try that. The LCHF diet tends to make me feel full, but I do love the diet. I often don't have lunch, just a full breakfast and a meal in the evening.

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You drop the carbs, you drop the weight. You add more carbs, you add the weight. This is usually the case. The hard part is finding a balance. Eating enough carbs to add weight, but not upsetting your BG too much and then finding the number that maintains your weight at the weight you want. It's all easier said then done.

Or you can add more protein to your diet and see if that works.

It's up to the individual to decide what path they take.

thank you for your reply. I think I will start by just increasing the amounts I eat while staying LC.

DianeW001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope to have a similar problem in 3 or 4 months when I reach my target weight.

I think the first thing I'll do is to buy a 16 ounce steak instead of the skimpy 8 ounce ones I'm eating today.

whatever the answer it is likely to involve calorie counting and finding some extra food you can safely eat to stabilise your weight at your target level.

Thank you and good luck with your weight loss.