walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jillytee and congratulations on YOUR progress. I am not a Health Care Professional (HCP) so could not possibly advise you to take/not take statins. Do have a look at the manufacturers web site regarding the ones you have. It will tell you that one of the side effects is raised blood glucose. The advice to put Diabetics on statins comes from NICE, and no HCP dare ignore it.
Personally I have have the kind offer of statins at every consultation, and I treat it as just that, a consultation. My health is my responsibility, I consult and either take that advise or ignore it. The consequences either way are mine.

(I still dont take statins)

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @walnut_face, I'm taking my time to think about it. Interestingly when talking to the nurse on Tuesday she said that my GP steered well clear of the diabetic patients and left all to the nurses Thinking of changing doctors but unfortunately very little choice where I live.

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ phonic2k , incidentally I wasn't diagnosed in hospital after an infection, that must have been someone else!
It was a routine blood test a month after a couple of asthma attacks in the summer. No fasting or anything just a general check blood test.
Then a month after the blood test I was called to the surgery and told I was diabetic.... 5 months later I asked for anther test, BG down to 6.3% . I asked about my cholesterol and only then did the nurse look at my results and see that it was "a bit high",
(total of 7) .... she wasn't happy about my lchf diet and gave me the standard NHS recommended diet for lowering cholesterol and a prescription for Atorvastain, even though it can cause a rise in bs.
I have decided to test and have ordered an accu-chek meter, so we shall see ... watch this space!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on Atorvastatin - along with metformin - I became dangerously forgetful, and I am still having problems even though I stopped taking the tablets when I could not remember where I had left the car after doing the Christmas food shopping twice. Well - actually I stopped taking them two days before, as I forgot to take them and my other tablets as well.

Reactions: Prem51

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on Atorvastatin - along with metformin - I became dangerously forgetful, and I am still having problems even though I stopped taking the tablets when I could not remember where I had left the car after doing the Christmas food shopping twice. Well - actually I stopped taking them two days before, as I forgot to take them and my other tablets as well.

I've decided to take the statins for 3 months whilst continuing my lchf diet, bit of a compromise but will see how it goes. Have been taking Atorvastatin for 7 days without any physical side effects so far, I have lost my car several times, I have no sense of direction at all so now when I park in a large car park or unfamiliar place I take a photo of where it is :)

Reactions: Prem51