I fixed hashimotos, maculopathy, + dawn phenomenom in a few months

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
While I'm happy that your secondary issues have been helped, I think it's dangerous and unkind to say that. Every so often we have desperate parents here asking about miracle diets or, worse, saying they're trying one they found on the internet to help their newly diagnosed child.

So suggesting there's a cure if only they - and we - look hard enough is inaccurate at best, soul destroying at worse when the parents (and others) find that simply isn't true.

I wish it was - but it isn't.

Am sorry, I get that as a parent, I really do. In my heart reckon there's more in this info that I've gathered and if anything, there's a positive with diabetes anyway from having it as a child. That is that we learn to really listen to our bodies beyond anyone else without it. It's ok... Parents with children that have diabetes, you're amazing.
Don't give up am here to help.

I guess my writing isn't at it's best and am sorry for any false hopes

Reactions: Freema

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Joules, it's great that you have reversed 'secondary' conditions, however making claims about the reversal of type 1 is misleading, it is not possible, unless you can generate re-growth or a replacement of your pancreas then it's not wise to make claims on a public forum about 'reversal', however in newly diagnosed you can extend the honeymoon period of the pancreas, simply by keeping BG levels well controlled for as long as possible, however eventually the flame will flicker and insulin requirements will increase.

It is possible to orchestrate the actions of the pancreas simply by using technology to create a loop with an insulin pump and a cgm, it is not possible to revive the pancreas or indeed reverse type 1.

I would like to think that in our lifetime we could at least discover the trigger for the auto-immune attack and in doing so help prevent more people being diagnosed with type 1, so suggesting to others to 'go do the research' is misleading others with false hope.

Sealing up the leaky gut has helped my blood sugars significantly, it's stabilised a great load of issues and there's no doubt more learn about this.

At the end of the day, I'm just sharing my experiences about leaky gut and wheat being related to auto immune issues.

It's interesting to see the results and am now researching into how incredible coconut oil is with food. My blood sugars got stuck at 5.2 for days, then i had a glass of whisky and it put it off track again. Weird but true... Not good

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Even as a T1 I have found that cinammom, turmeric and ginger (organic powder) have greatly reduced my basal needs over the last few weeks. Yes, there is data suggestion it helps T2's but not T1's. I done more basal testing today and need to lower my basal again... Gastro chap told me that turmeric is thought to be excellent for health but they have no idea why, also when I mentioned cinnamon to my diabetes person she sent me a slideshow from years ago mentioning the benefits of cinnamon.

Also, just for helping total relieve gastritis and reflux from problems... totally eliminating tomatos and onion has totally helped me. Could not tolerate PPIs so gastro told me to try stopping those two veg.

There are definitely ways to improve health through diet, especially with having huge intolerance to pharma drugs.

Fortunately for me I cannot tolerate pasta, bread, rice, cereal (except rice crispies) or pastry etc so I know by avoiding these types of food my colon can partially move... (but has to rely on some meds)... but if I have meds alone and eat these foods I'm in serious trouble.

I go along with some of what OP says.. not tried the LG option but have fish oils.

I do have dairy as its pretty much the only filling calories that can keep some weight on me.

Reactions: joules

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
That's great and have also been checking Turmeric out, made a tea for the first time only last week and am gonna get some more in

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's great and have also been checking Turmeric out, made a tea for the first time only last week and am gonna get some more in

Chai tea is wonderful...
IMG_1485508186.626665.jpg

IMG_1485508210.825089.jpg
IMG_1485508224.908168.jpg

Made with all the spices.. and totally delicious... Tbh I got fed up of the "black healthy teas"...they never lowered my insulin needs at all. Have dropped my basal again this morning by another 1/2 unit.

Never experienced this in Winter either!! Seasons mean a lot to me and every winter my insulin needs raising.

This tea also has cinnamon in,cloves, anise etc.. no pepper or turmeric/ginger so every cuppa has this much (pictured) of every spice put in to it...plus 5-10 grinds of black pepper.

Turmeric tablets by them selves never had this affect. I took them for a year after cancer diagnosis... no affect on bloods at all. Cinnamon is the link.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hope this info helps others as it has me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have long battled with trying to get to the bottom of how MY metabolism works because it doesn't do what it's supposed to do by a long shot. I have been consulting a nutritional therapist for some time (BSc Chemistry, MBA, BSc Nutritional Medicine, mBANT, so no slouch). We have discussed Leaky Gut on a number of occasions but we've dealt with other things as well. She persuaded me to low carb at the very beginning three years ago (against GP advice, where have I heard that before LOL), we have dealt or are dealing with low vit D, low vit B12, low magnesium, low CoQ10, we also know from tests she has sent me for that my pancreas is at the low end of the normal range and my insulin resistance now has a number. It's work in progress but we have learned and established a lot about what my body is doing.

We have just added Glutamine to my list of supplements so I'm eager to get started to see the effect. My last HbA1c just before Christmas was not good after 3 years of getting a well done from my GP. My FreeStyle Libre is showing that I'm getting some serious liver dumping between midnight and almost midday, so I'm still messing with things to try and get that sorted.

My major problem is ny brain is struggling to get a handle on all the things I really need to do, but I'm working on it.

All the best

Reactions: Freema

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
@DavidGrahamJones , well done on doing all the work which is the therapy i have been applying, with head aches too as it's simply not straight forward.
On taking the L-Glucamine you'll notice a great deal change re weight loss, need of carbs will drop, hypos also will drop off. I wouldn't say that this is the only cause but one of many things important to getting optimal sugar levels. No doubt dropping off the carbs significantly has also made a huge difference, I mean all carbs if possible. Wheat for one had madness on my sugar levels. Unsure why, but this morning had a high sugar of 10mmol even though at 4am I was 4.7mmol, and left that. Finding that meat has a huge impact also on high sugars. It is never ending...

Now jumping onto coconut oil and am suspicious on how amazing turmeric is. Give that a go and watch your bloods stick in the mid 5mmols!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
On taking the L-Glucamine you'll notice a great deal change re weight loss, need of carbs will drop, hypos also will drop off.

I had been doing well on the limited carbs but my good old Libre is showing me that 2 pieces of toast are really a no no unless I go and do some exercise like a round of golf.

Hypos haven't been a problem for years, until last week. Spending an hour in a hyperbaric chamber breathing pure oxygen for an hour makes my BG drop because it improves my insulin resistance (found some Japanese research that showed that). On two occasions my BG has dropped to about 3 so technically a hypo, but as I felt fine, probably an inaccurate FreeStyle Libre. I'll keep using the Accu-Chek to monitor discrepancy.

As you say, plenty to keep us busy. I'm still learning all the time, makes life more interesting.

RobynV

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to secondary issues of diabetes and autoimmune problems which have been fixed despite what Drs said. As they are to do with diabetes i mentioned diabetes, though didn't mean in my text that I've reversed diabetes, by no means. There has been a huge improvement however and i think that going to the root of an issue is the start to turning things around.
If there's anything that needs researching for anyone here, it's prevention rather than cure and of course, take insulin and do your tests for optimal control of course!

My diabetes is not gone by no means, though I'll never say never.

Anyone with thyroid issues with a Dr that says you have to take drugs forever, well my experience is that that can be reversed careless of what the drug world says. I prefer to find a natural way and with that, i beat the Dr and fixed what he said is impossible.

That's my personal experience and i don't blame anyone for being a sceptic.
I have several autoimmune things - psoriatic arthritis (PsA) 4 yrs ago (I’m 64). UC in past. Now low thyroid and Hashimoto’s. Not sure which kind of diabetes. List expanding.

I know this is a diabetes forum - but… are the majority of diabetics ‘only’ diabetic? ie In isolation? Those pple are ‘lucky’ (not minimising anyone’s anguish here).

I’m on a ‘biological’ (Tremfya - anti Interleukin 23.) Had terrible vision /balance/ hearing issues. Improved. My biology won’t process / digest only proteins and fat. You need right DNA to make the right enzymes in quantity. Or your immune system may kick up and make you sicker. You can tinker round the edges of your DNA (ie epigenetics - how environment alters genes). But you can’t ‘train up’ what you don’t have in the first place.

You can pay for tests (if you have a little money) - to find out about SOME of your DNA driven metabolic tendencies - as well as immune ones. May save time and stress in food experimentation possibly.

Autoimmune diseases make many blood tests unreliable. Incl the Hb1Ac test. There’s a big interpretive reliance on that number… it’s useful to know this if you have autoimmune issues. (Other factors also affect Hb1Ac. The list is surprisingly long.) Sorry if this is repeats info elsewhere.

I applaud support on this forum for not accepting blindly everything you’re told by medicos. Self help through shared experience is clearly making a huge difference to pple.. Equally - I feel for this poster - who was just trying to explain. I got your message. Thank you.

Pancreas islets have been successfully transplanted in humans. This IS a cure for T1. Early research (trials) - 5 yr success rate ca 70% in suitable candidates. Caveats. Saying it can’t/ won’t be cured is not correct. When will it be routine? Don’t know. Some pple will never be eligible. But we didn’t transplant hearts not so long ago. Then there is stem cell therapy…

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links - in case not - search on Islets transplantation - 8 Aug 2023. Or at:

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>

Pancreas islets have been successfully transplanted in humans. This IS a cure for T1. Early research (trials) - 5 yr success rate ca 70% in suitable candidates. Caveats. Saying it can’t/ won’t be cured is not correct. When will it be routine? Don’t know. Some pple will never be eligible. But we didn’t transplant hearts not so long ago. Then there is stem cell therapy…

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links - in case not - search on Islets transplantation - 8 Aug 2023. Or at:

However an islet transplant still requires the recipient to take anti-rejection medication, which has it's own risks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have several autoimmune things - psoriatic arthritis (PsA) 4 yrs ago (I’m 64). UC in past. Now low thyroid and Hashimoto’s. Not sure which kind of diabetes. List expanding.

I know this is a diabetes forum - but… are the majority of diabetics ‘only’ diabetic? ie In isolation? Those pple are ‘lucky’ (not minimising anyone’s anguish here).

I’m on a ‘biological’ (Tremfya - anti Interleukin 23.) Had terrible vision /balance/ hearing issues. Improved. My biology won’t process / digest only proteins and fat. You need right DNA to make the right enzymes in quantity. Or your immune system may kick up and make you sicker. You can tinker round the edges of your DNA (ie epigenetics - how environment alters genes). But you can’t ‘train up’ what you don’t have in the first place.

You can pay for tests (if you have a little money) - to find out about SOME of your DNA driven metabolic tendencies - as well as immune ones. May save time and stress in food experimentation possibly.

Autoimmune diseases make many blood tests unreliable. Incl the Hb1Ac test. There’s a big interpretive reliance on that number… it’s useful to know this if you have autoimmune issues. (Other factors also affect Hb1Ac. The list is surprisingly long.) Sorry if this is repeats info elsewhere.

I applaud support on this forum for not accepting blindly everything you’re told by medicos. Self help through shared experience is clearly making a huge difference to pple.. Equally - I feel for this poster - who was just trying to explain. I got your message. Thank you.

In my view, pancreatic transplant is not a cure. It is a treatment.

Yes, the T1 goes away, but along with the transplant comes a raft of very strong and vile medications to inhibit rejection.

I know someone who has had a kidney and pancreas transplant (actually 2 kidneys because the first transplanted kidney was destroyed by the underlying condition which had been misdiagnosed as diabetes related, therefore untreated). Asked if she had had the option for a straight pancreas transplant, would she have gone ahead. Her answer was, knowing what she does now about the post transplant drug regime, she would not have, because her T1 was less troublesome than the brutal meds, including steroids she now has to take for the remainer of her life.

I can wholly and completely understand why a new or less knowledgeable T1 would covet a replacement pancreas, but really the baggage that comes with it is immense.

Transplants are transformational, and her life with her new kidney is very different to the dialysis days. She has not regrets on that front, because her old kidney was not going to give her any quality of life.

She now has 2 pancreases and 4 kidneys. :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have read that all autoimmune problems can be reversed with L-Glutamine and am surprised it's not mentioned here, which is a major surprise. Who runs this website?? A drug company maybe??

--

Am still taking L-Glutamine morning and night and have also added a teaspoon of extra coconut oil daily instead of the fish oils. Am intrigued by the next check mid Feb '17...

Hope this info helps others as it has me.
This site was started by someone who had a family member with diabetes, very much not a drug company.
Please could you supply a link to the research on L-Glutamine.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>
Have read that all autoimmune problems can be reversed with L-Glutamine and am surprised it's not mentioned here, which is a major surprise. Who runs this website?? A drug company maybe??

Highly unlikely to be a drug company with such a bold statement. It's the soft of thing that 'influencers' and snake-oil sales people say.

RobynV

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
However an islet transplant still requires the recipient to take anti-rejection medication, which has it's own risks.
Yes you are absolutely right. Hence I noted there were caveats. These meds are ‘easier’ to tolerate these days as have been refined (info from heart/lung transplant patients who lived a long time). However if stem cell therapy can eventually be applied - and/or DNA technology called ‘Crisper’ (literally cuts and rejoins and if nec - inserts new DNA) - then immunosuppressants will not be needed. Stem cell therapy (autologous - ie own cells) already on market - more research needed for complex cell types. Crisper is the basis of all the so-called GM (gene modified) foods - and ‘successful’ for years now. Humans - they already use Crisper to delete poor DNA in a couple of terrible diseases in young children. Very specific DNA mods. Nearly 100% success rate. And then they live a normal life. Trials ca 5 yr point. Crisper has been around a while (>10yrs). It’s a matter of funding for research - and the transplant academics are technically in competition with the other crowd. Which part of ‘cell production’ line will need to be edited / reproduced in a baby/child? Don’t know. But the principles behind this research theoretically will treat a myriad of ‘born with’ conditions. So funding competition also in that respect. Complexity of islets (or their precursors; or post - late onset T1) is another issue. Science / gov funders will fund the ‘sexy’ research first. These first Crisper cases are treating very rare diseases. Possibly there’s an economic argument for DB1. I was trying to signal hope. I also have impression T1s on this site seem to get things under control (better?) than other types. Which would lessen ec argument. Possibly. Could be wrong.