Full Fat Dairy Products May Be A Healthy Choice

Confucius

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Prem51 Interesting study. I found this part especially useful:

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans acknowledge that reducing total fat has no effect on heart disease or obesity risk, but still recommends a 10 percent daily limit for saturated fat intake.

Reactions: Prem51

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I found that interesting, particularly the study that was undertaken over a 20 year span.

Like you, the only concern I have is the low number of study participants, just over 3,000 isn't enough to provide conclusive evidence I don't think and I reckon a further study is probably underway with a higher sample number. Unfortunately I don't think the results from any later studies will benefit me much as a 20 year span would be stretching my longevity LOL, but I won't be over concerned anymore about eating one of my favourite foods, although I still think moderation is called for.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Prem51 Interesting study. I found this part especially useful:

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans acknowledge that reducing total fat has no effect on heart disease or obesity risk, but still recommends a 10 percent daily limit for saturated fat intake.

Give all natural foods that contain saturated fat also contain mono and poly unsaturated fat, its hard to see how anyone can ever test what exactly is supposed to be wrong with saturated fat in isolation when it comes from natural food.

I think the main problem is one of the terminology " saturated fat" - I think that when people talk about " saturated fat " they are thinking of fatty processed products - e,g, meat pies, sausage rolls, as such they are really talking about highly refined carbs and pastry which are filled with poor quality meats - this is nothing to do with saturated fat per se.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info. As a newbie I wasn't really aware of that correlation and need to be careful with my reactive questioning as a result.

No worries... I must admit I have become a compulsive label checker whenever out food shopping.. there are now whole aisles of the supermarket I avoid completely. Saves no end of time.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have to admit to becoming 'trained' to check labels which is no bad thing

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I found that interesting, particularly the study that was undertaken over a 20 year span.

Like you, the only concern I have is the low number of study participants, just over 3,000 isn't enough to provide conclusive evidence I don't think and I reckon a further study is probably underway with a higher sample number. Unfortunately I don't think the results from any later studies will benefit me much as a 20 year span would be stretching my longevity LOL, but I won't be over concerned anymore about eating one of my favourite foods, although I still think moderation is called for.
Thought 3000 was a reasonable sample size, at least for initial research??

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thought 3000 was a reasonable sample size, at least for initial research??
I think researchers would call the results from that sample size 'indicative' rather than 'compelling', that's all I'm saying. For a 'compelling' reaction the sample numbers would need to be way bigger.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
G_m, please provide us with your estimate of the harm faced by ignoring this research, if its results are eventually confirmed.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My niece posted this on Facebook. I don't know if it's been posted here before, I didn't find anything when I did a search. Only a small number of participants in their research, but I thought it was interesting:
www.informationaboutdiabetes.com/lifestyle/lifestyle/full-fat-dairy-products-may-be-a-healthy-choice.

Yeah, no link to the study.

Did find this one with A LOT more people involved, over 340,000.... similar in terms of outcome. Fermented dairy, like cheese and yoghurt. Not all dairy products.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4502710/

deaco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My niece posted this on Facebook. I don't know if it's been posted here before, I didn't find anything when I did a search. Only a small number of participants in their research, but I thought it was interesting:
www.informationaboutdiabetes.com/lifestyle/lifestyle/full-fat-dairy-products-may-be-a-healthy-choice.
yes i agree we have been conned for 40 years spawned by the food industry and milk marketing board which has lead to obesity and type 2 but to them profit first

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But cheese is just milk in a different form, so why the opposite reactions from you about the products?
The milk has been transformed, normally fermented and hard cheese has no lactose and there's a lot less water. If you have lacose intolerance milk is a no-no but Gorgonzola or Grana Padano have no lactose at all.

(PSA: Grana Padano is made with almost the same process for Parmigiano Reggiano, but it could be made in a more wide area in Italy, the milk is not a mix of the morning ad afternoon milking and normally is sold after less than 15 months after the making. Be aware that "Parmesan" or "grating cheese" are different things...)