DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I wonder if this would work for all type 2s

The low carb bit certainly helped me stop taking Gliclazide. Januvia, statins and avoid progressing to insulin.

The problem I have now is that although my BG seems to be relatively stable during the day, even after meals, when I'm asleep after midnight, my BG starts climbing and continues doing so unless I eat something, it seems nuts are good.

I'm only discovering this now I've started using my Freestyle Libre which is throwing out some pretty good information.

It would seem that I should now get into fasting to help as well because these liver dump BG highs are just barmy. It's only because I have to go to the bathroom that I'm aware of it happening.

As for weight loss, I can say with 100% honesty that reduced calorie and increased exercise hasn't worked that well and the high fat bit could be behind my weight gain in the last year. Still work in progress.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think it would work for a lot of T2's.... but not all.

Wouldn't entirely work for me I don't think, but there are certain elements of it that would and possibly would for all T2's. A case of using what might be beneficial according to each individuals needs etc.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Errr. I did fasting, then fasted more and more to the extent of vomiting at the look of grease or a cream biscuit.
Where does it end?
Constantly chasing for the golden chalice.
I never found it. I was thinner and maybe reversed my diabetes but I'm still diabetic because it was unstainable - for me.
I was facing anorexia and had only one direction open to not death, that was to eat more again.
Swopping one problem for another I'm afraid. For me.

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Surely a so called 'cure' for T2 is not just about reversing bg numbers to the normal range through sustainable lifestyle' changes but to be able to revert to previous diet etc.
Otherwise it's like saying an alcoholic is no longer a alcoholic because he's stopped drinking.

dipsydo

I think if you are considering fasting you need to do it in the way which agrees with you and your life style . I was low carbing with three meals a day BG was reducing but dawn phenomena was quite a issue for me . I thought I would try 16/8 and this has worked for me and I am very happy with it but I know that I could not fast on the basis 5:2 . Occasionally still have DP but some mornings wake up less BG than going to bed so 16/8 works for me ( or may be it works because last food is before 4pm ). Might do some trial to see I can see if it is timing /fasting which helps for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't understand why insulin producing diabetics think to beat diabetes is to get their natural response to fasting (liver dump) is to stop insulin production?
I'd be afraid to teach my body to do without producing insulin incase it forgets to start producing it again. I feel its ok to produce some beneficial insulin but I draw the line at no producing any, voluntarily.
Type1s would love to be producing theirs.
Surely fasters are only fasting to desensitize insulin response not stop it altogether.
No dr I know can tell you how much insulin you need precisely to keep healthy. Since everyone specific needs are different. Pump users can back me on that. Its not perfect, just a guess.
Insulin keeps bgs at good levels. Always has.
Too much insulin still does but causes health problems. Obesity in some, pcos, inflammation and many many other conditions.
So getting insulin levels right is the key not fasting to reduce insulin only. Biggest side affect of too much insulin is glucose in the blood.
Block dumps naturally is a big winner for me. Liver enzymes love it too!

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The low carb bit certainly helped me stop taking Gliclazide. Januvia, statins and avoid progressing to insulin.

The problem I have now is that although my BG seems to be relatively stable during the day, even after meals, when I'm asleep after midnight, my BG starts climbing and continues doing so unless I eat something, it seems nuts are good.

I'm only discovering this now I've started using my Freestyle Libre which is throwing out some pretty good information.

It would seem that I should now get into fasting to help as well because these liver dump BG highs are just barmy. It's only because I have to go to the bathroom that I'm aware of it happening.

As for weight loss, I can say with 100% honesty that reduced calorie and increased exercise hasn't worked that well and the high fat bit could be behind my weight gain in the last year. Still work in progress.
Yes there's no end to it it's a continual struggle.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
No dr I know can tell you how much insulin you need precisely to keep healthy. Since everyone specific needs are different.
I've just had a c-pep test and it seems my pancreas is still working, a bit. The test says 1.76 μg/l against a "norm" of 1.1 to 4.4.
Seems with that sort of range they've got themselves covered.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just had a c-pep test and it seems my pancreas is still working, a bit. The test says 1.76 μg/l against a "norm" of 1.1 to 4.4.
Seems with that sort of range they've got themselves covered.
C pep never heard of it could you elaborate David.Do type 2 s have it.Always wondered how much insulin I was producing didn't know there was a test.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why insulin producing diabetics think to beat diabetes is to get their natural response to fasting (liver dump) is to stop insulin production?
I'd be afraid to teach my body to do without producing insulin incase it forgets to start producing it again. I feel its ok to produce some beneficial insulin but I draw the line at no producing any, voluntarily.
Type1s would love to be producing theirs.
Surely fasters are only fasting to desensitize insulin response not stop it altogether.
No dr I know can tell you how much insulin you need precisely to keep healthy. Since everyone specific needs are different. Pump users can back me on that. Its not perfect, just a guess.
Insulin keeps bgs at good levels. Always has.
Too much insulin still does but causes health problems. Obesity in some, pcos, inflammation and many many other conditions.
So getting insulin levels right is the key not fasting to reduce insulin only. Biggest side affect of too much insulin is glucose in the blood.
Block dumps naturally is a big winner for me. Liver enzymes love it too!

no if insuline works the propper way it lowers glucose in the blood by letting the glucoce into the muscle cells but that doesn´t work right in diabetic type 2, the problem with an eternally raised insuline is that as long as it is raised too much one can not loose weight because a too raised insuline do store glucose as fat , when insuline low enough one does not store fat but change into using bodyfat instead... many type 2 diabetics do have a raised insuline that is even 7-10 times higher than non diabetics , and that mean they will never be able to losse fat and that every time the body gets glucose it is put on as fats, that is the advantage of fasting, that real fasting (not just low calorie) real fasting causes a lowering in the overall levels of insuline, 3 days of fasting seems to give the maximum effect lowering insuline as much as 60-70 % (according to Jason Fung)

but already fasting for like 16 of the days hours do lower insuline a lot...
fasting in this respevt does not mean stopping eating and to become anorectic... it Means to chose certain periods where one does not eat, and Again according to Jason Fung it seems to copy the reality of stone age peoples eating styles, where there would regulary be a lack of food where the body would use its stored fats ...and shorter or longer periods where the body would store fats form rich amounts of foods...

Reactions: ickihun

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No dr I know can tell you how much insulin you need precisely to keep healthy. Since everyone specific needs are different.

Actually there has been many studies on the insulin levels and response of 'normal' healthy individuals. The range for fasting and post meal are well documented. So the changes in fasting/insulin response is quite obvious when there is metabolic dysfunction as described by Dr Joseph Kraft. And there are various independent studies that sees similar patterns. And on a separate note, chronically elevated insulin is not necessarily benign although it may not have the acute toxicity of elevated glucose.

Instead of worrying that our pancreas will forget how to produce insulin after fasting, given how little functioning beta cells are left upon diagnosis, I am more concern that the remaining beta cells gets exhausted with the excessive demands that is continually placed upon it.

The alternative view presented is that resting the beta cells thru low carbs and intermittent fasting allows some recovery/restoration. Of course at this point there is disagreement regarding the success of this approach. But it makes sense to me and I see significant improvements.

Kraft-Curves-Cummins.png

Tim Noakes also have this infographics.

14047115_1030397243734567_6870261581663559855_o.jpg

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
C pep never heard of it could you elaborate David.Do type 2 s have it.Always wondered how much insulin I was producing didn't know there was a test.
C-peptide test shows how the pancreas is doing. My BG has gone bonkers lately and I wanted to know exactly what was going on. This way I know that my pancreas is still producing insulin, maybe at the bottom end of "normal" but still working. I funded the test myself, I doubted whether my GP would want to spend NHS money on this particular test.