Eating Out Nightmare.

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My partner and I, plus one, went to a restaurant just before Christmas that we've frequented on several occasions without mishap. On this occasion however virtually all the staff had changed and some couldn't even converse in English. Part way through the meal my partner became ill and we went home where the illness seemed to pass. However, I became ill as she became better and the third person with us that night was also ill it appeared. I reported all this to the head office of the chain and was eventually informed that the problem had been identified as cross contamination on the cutting table. We received our money back plus a very small sum extra, an apology and some advice on what to do, look for and expect in their other restaurants.

Two weeks ago all three of us visited another of the chains restaurants and put into practice what we'd learned.

My partner suffers from Coeliac disease, which means that any gluten can cause issues. Imagine our horror when after asking for the allergens list we received 17 pages of detailed lists of just about every food on offer contained gluten.

It seems that vegetables when not on the carvery bench are gluten free , but on the carvery bench they are! What's the difference? Butter apparently. Now how does butter contain gluten? It also turned out that the kitchen manager wasn't fully aware of everything that was on offer that night containing gluten as he made several foo pahs when discussing what was suitable.

The bigger horror was that when being seated the waitress is trained to take drinks orders. My partner, as a treat, ordered coffee. Imagine what it was like when we found out that their freshly ground coffee contains gluten, and not only that, but her favourite beverage, tea, also contains gluten. How can tea contain gluten? A cup of tea is tea leaves, boiling water and cows milk, how does gluten get in that mix? Freshly ground coffee isn't any different, so what are this chain doing to our drinks?

No-one,according to the manager, is trained to ask guests if they have any allergen reactions before offering drinks and nor were any of them trained to be aware of the gluten content in tea and coffee!

Has anyone else ever been made Ill because of this sort of thing? Is anyone as surprised as we were that this sort of thing occurs?

Last edited:

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
A Professor of Endocrinology told me that it is due to the Cross-Contamination.

Please have a look at the following link which I have found at random if It may partly answer your question. Regards

http://www.celiac.ca/?page_id=679

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Catering butter can contain gluten because it's often prepared for the diner with accompanying bread, and the same utensils can be used for both.
Tea and coffee can be prepared and packaged in a plant that processes grains and flour.
Vegetables can be prepared in the same area's as pasta, yorkshire puddings, and frozen bread products.

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Catering butter can contain gluten because it's often prepared for the diner with accompanying bread, and the same utensils can be used for both.
Tea and coffee can be prepared and packaged in a plant that processes grains and flour.
Vegetables can be prepared in the same area's as pasta, yorkshire puddings, and frozen bread products.
Thanks for the explanation

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds to me like they are covering their backside in case any utensil or board used for a gluten containing ingredient touches something else. Personally I'd give the whole chain a miss, be interested to know who it is off your willing to say?

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds to me like they are covering their backside in case any utensil or board used for a gluten containing ingredient touches something else. Personally I'd give the whole chain a miss, be interested to know who it is off your willing to say?
Maybe once they've come back to me and decided how they're going to proceed and handle things in the future.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think with Coeliac I would just assume that everything in a commercial kitchen is automatically contaminated.
Sad but true.
But people have different levels of problems with gluten.
I'm lucky in that mine is fairly mild. So long as I avoid stuff with grains in it, I am OK. I am also OK with the various FODMAP veg, vinegars, and so on, that many Coeliacs have to avoid. Thank Goodness!
Mine is better described as non-coeliac gluten intolerance. For which I am eternally grateful.
It is a terribly disruptive, complicated and distressing condition for people who are badly affected.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds top me like a toby carvery (!) I avoid like the plague and wont go if friends suggest it. Its possibly one of the least coeliac friendly places I know (other than Chinese)

@Brunneria I've very sensitive and had a stand up argument on a gluten free group the other day about if coeliac uk were right in saying barley malt is ok:banghead: Some restaurants are good pizza express and nandos specifically and nandos is D friendly also. Win, Win.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pizza's are always a nightmare unless they have a specific gluten free oven, as the bases will cross contaminate off the belt.

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pizza's are always a nightmare unless they have a specific gluten free oven, as the bases will cross contaminate off the belt.
Not strictly true. All pizza's are cooked on separate metal pans which are a once only use before washing at very high temperatures, and then reused. So no cross-contamination should take place there. There's other areas in pizza production where cross contamination can occur if the operatives aren't careful.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've heard of some food outlets stating that everything contained gluten or nuts as that was easier and cheaper than identifying individual foodstuffs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not strictly true. All pizza's are cooked on separate metal pans which are a once only use before washing at very high temperatures, and then reused. So no cross-contamination should take place there. There's other areas in pizza production where cross contamination can occur if the operatives aren't careful.

I've never seen a pizza not overhang the tray.
My daughter isn't bad, so it's not an issue to her, even if they washed their hands, took care in the prep area, hadn't cross contaminated the topping with gluten from the flour and pizza bases, and selected a clean tray, part of the pizza always touches the belt somewhere.
Quote often she'll leave the crust, but more out of preference I suspect.

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've never seen a pizza not overhang the tray.
My daughter isn't bad, so it's not an issue to her, even if they washed their hands, took care in the prep area, hadn't cross contaminated the topping with gluten from the flour and pizza bases, and selected a clean tray, part of the pizza always touches the belt somewhere.
Quote often she'll leave the crust, but more out of preference I suspect.
I'd say that wherever that occurs you should be raising a complaint there and then and taking it further if it's a chain outlet.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh .. Not quite the same as your problem, but my wife has a rapeseed oil allergy.. honestly you will think she has grown another head when we ask if foods contain this oil ( foods that used to be made with sunflower oil .. but rapeseed oil is a lot cheeper than sunflower oil so in almost everything) We just don't eat out now its not worth the risk !

Gadget_man

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No food reaction is good and no one should have to be made to feel unwanted as a guest in a restaurant simply because they ask for allergen information.