Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm... thank you for the heads up!
I think i will add some frozen spinach to our order (arriving tomorrow) in case there is a dearth of the fresh stuff.
:)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys not read all posts yet but it sounds like I'm in the same position with DP and have been ill and on steroids/antibiotics so haven't even attempted to lc as I'm too hungry on steroids. My weight loss has pretty mirrored yours then I gave up over Xmas but am back on it now. Will be watching and learning. Good luck everyone!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Here it goes again.... FBG 6.3 at 7.05am followed by breakfast (2 scrambled eggs cooked in butter and small slice gravadlax) BG at 2hrs after breakfast was..... 8.8! It's getting worse.

I think it's DP and a touch of gluconeogenesis because my lovely liver has to be getting the carbs from somewhere. I wish it'd start behaving itself - I really don't need these little liver dump gifts. It's reminding me of when we once lived with a cat that, every morning, would bring me in a dead bird or small creature as a gift.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here it goes again.... FBG 6.3 at 7.05am followed by breakfast (2 scrambled eggs cooked in butter and small slice gravadlax) BG at 2hrs after breakfast was..... 8.8! It's getting worse.

I think it's DP and a touch of gluconeogenesis because my lovely liver has to be getting the carbs from somewhere. I wish it'd start behaving itself - I really don't need these little liver dump gifts. It's reminding me of when we once lived with a cat that, every morning, would bring me in a dead bird or small creature as a gift.

Hmmm
You could try varying your protein source and see whether that makes a difference.
I get disproportionately high readings after wheat - and it took ages before I would admit to myself that it was a food intolerance.
So if your bg rise is always after eggs...? Or butter?

Sorry. This thread is starting to look egg-obsessed!

If your liver dump is fuelling itself from gluconeogenesis, then it is getting the fuel from the night before, and storing it overnight. Gluconeogenesis is a slowish process. For me, the rise doesn't show til 2-3 hours after eating the protein, and it is a v gentle hump, lasting several hours. So a steak at 7pm shows it's highest peak (say 7.5mmol) around 10pm, then trundles along at 1mmol/l higher than normal (say 6.8 mmol/l overnight, dropping slowly about 10 hours later.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know if you noticed it but if you feel a bit "off" they recommend upping your water intake or another was a cup of bouillon. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to your water. Personally I preferred the bouillon option. I got the Marigold Vegetable Bouillon Powder at the supermarket and must admit it helped. I discovered bouillon has carbs but this one wasn't bad.
I only remembered because I feel a bit yukky this morning. Just hope I'm not coming down with another bug.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Brunneria - maybe it's not gluconeogenesis then because I was 4.8 before bed at 10.30 last night after having had dinner st 6.45. I'll have kippers tomorrow for breakfast to test the eggs theory.

@maglil55 - maybe you haven't got over your last bug properly - I had a cold in November and December that kept on coming back again and again. The best thing to do with a bug is give in to it, stay warm, rest and take care of yourself. I learned my lesson on that a few years back when I ended up in hospital because I hasn't taken care of a cold which then developed in to pneumonia.

I've got some beef bovril here in case I need something with salt in although I haven't felt the need yet. I'm drinking lots of water because I've got a very vague memory that drinking lots of water is important for your kidneys when eating a diet rich in protein.

I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner - it's that chicken, pesto, olives and feta casserole you both liked. :)

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had another morning of it too. Latest experiment for me was to eat a couple of walnuts before bed and that seems to hold the overnight rise to either zero or 0.1. Trouble is it then starts to rise and rise until I have breakfast and it takes about 2.5 hrs to get back into a happy range. In my case the eggs reverse the trend - it's not eating that continues the rise. This morning I had a black coffee and a 12g bit cheese as it was wet and walking with a crutch requires more time . So got grandson No 1 to school then home.
I had 2 walnuts last night so went to bed on 6.8 got up to 6.9. Black coffee/bit cheese then walking to get No 1 to school . When I tested just over 1 hr later I'd hit 9.7! Had my eggs - 2 scrambled with parsley and a cup of bouillon. 90 mins I was at 8.4 and I expect to be back in the low 7's at the 2.15 to 2.30 post eating mark.
It has to be the liver - nothing else makes sense. I keep thinking about the example of the overstuffed balloon and how you have to allow it to deflate. I think you said Chook that the solution to the overstuffed liver was a combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting? Not sure it will help me though as it is fasting that causes the increase.
I'm beginning to think it is a case of just stick with it as apart from this morning (which is probably bug related) the increase was getting lower and the meals are really good. Daytime figures are fine.
Today is mostly a resting day Chook. No 2 is with Mum and No 1 goes to After School Club. I'll pick him up after 5pm and take him home but I can drive right to the door so I'm not walking in the cold/rain. We're very careful as last year my son's flu went into pneumonia and he ended up in ICU for just over 2 weeks - 10 days of which was in a medically induced coma. One of many stressful episodes last year.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll have to buy in some walnuts and try again. I tried having Brazil nuts first thing but it didn't help. The only nuts I've got in right now are Mr C.'s stash of peanuts which I'm not supposed to know about. I'm really looking forward to your results of your experiment tomorrow - wouldn't be lovely if something as simple as a couple of nuts before bed sorted it out?

I think if mine carries on reacting to breakfast I might just go back to just having a coffee with cream for breakfast, then an avocado for lunch and a Diet Doctor dinner. Not so much protein.

Reactions: LAR

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still chortling after scanning my Libre 2 hours after dinner.

Delivery arrived, unpacked (both types of spinach appeared, so now we have a spinach mountain rather than a cabbage mountain.)

So I set to work, burgers YUM, cabbage YUM, esp with extra black pepper, then the tomato cream sauce... YUMYUMYUM
Really looking forward to lunch tomorrow!

And (this is why I am chortling) my Libre says I am 5.3 after 2 hours. I am usually higher. In fact, you wouldn't know I had eaten anything. The line is a perfect flatline.

Mind you, I also usually do more veg variety than just cabbage, so that will be the reason. And prefer more veg on the plate, in different colours textures and flavours. But hey, 5.3 is a triumph.

Today is going to be uber low carb, since I just had coffeesubstitute and cream for breakfast, and had a slice of LC cheesecake for lunch, but I'm not complaining...

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh I have been really sucked in to this thread! Have just signed up for the 2 week free trial. I'm not quite sure how the concept of dinner for lunch the following day will work out. Fortunately I love eggs;) Need to do something to get myself back under control. BS has been slowly creeping up as carbs have increased.:(

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh I have been really sucked in to this thread! Have just signed up for the 2 week free trial. I'm not quite sure how the concept of dinner for lunch the following day will work out. Fortunately I love eggs;) Need to do something to get myself back under control. BS has been slowly creeping up as carbs have increased.:(
Welcome to the campfire - or is it the cabbage patch. Watch the quantities you order. As you have probably spotted we got a bit mixed up between portions and people on the shopping list. I've now come to the conclusion the best way is to put 1 person on the shopping list and then just increase it for any extra meals. My hubby only eats dinner as a cooked meal so I just increase the mains for his dinner. Hopefully it will save you disappearing under a mountain of green veg!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Had my first follow up with dn today. I showed her the diet doctor shopping list thinking she would be horrified about the quantities of cheese, cream and butter. She thought it is great and told me to go ahead. The high fat worried me because of my diet and LDL levels. We are going out on Friday so we start the 2 week diet Saturday. Only have to think about meals for 2 more days. Next review in 6 months

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That chilli salmon is soooooo good. Hubby was yucking as I had 300g of spinach with it. Still no fresh spinach so had to use frozen. Tomorrow I will have lunch as I have the extra portion cooked. I knew hubby won't eat salmon but amazingly he asked for the frittata again which is easy enough to do. Onto the chicken with feta etc tomorrow night. I thought I was going nuts - I'm running out of eggs! Then I remembered because I had a glut from the mistake I hadn't raided the supermarket shelves yet so will get them tomorrow.
I reckon you are right Chook - I still haven't totally shifted that bug. Readings did go as I said - was back at 7.1 by 2hrs 15mins. Got to 6.8 pre lunch and it stayed there - never budged a fraction. We'll see what dinner has done later. Tomorrow is going to be another day where early breakfast will be a struggle but will try to slot it in.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first follow up with dn today. I showed her the diet doctor shopping list thinking she would be horrified about the quantities of cheese, cream and butter. She thought it is great and told me to go ahead. The high fat worried me because of my diet and LDL levels. We are going out on Friday so we start the 2 week diet Saturday. Only have to think about meals for 2 more days. Next review in 6 months
She may have been distracted by all the spinach, cabbage , leafy greens etc

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
She may have been distracted by all the spinach, cabbage , leafy greens etc
oh dear. I hope not. DN put me on statins in September and I have been a naughty girl so I got a lecture and had to promise to start taking them. She did relent so I can take half the dose on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. So less than a quarter of the original prescription. Call me ungrateful but I am still not happy because my mum has been taking statins and as a result I believe the claim they cause dementia. I will take half on Friday after giving everyone strict instructions to watch out for my marbles. I do not have enough of them to risk losing any. My risk of heart and stroke is only 15% if I were not diabetic so I was hoping to avoid statins altogether. This is why the quantities of diary in this diet scare me.

Greens no problem although the spinach has curled up and sulked. It will be chard, chard, nero kale, green curled and chard. I suppose I could try to eat red russian kale....sigh. Two more pickings of Brussels but the purple sprouting has started cropping. I even have cherry tomatoes in the freezer. Note to self to grow a lot more beans this year.

Reactions: pms543

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I totally agree. I'm on the s
Loving this thread!
I recently had the Dietdoc pesto chicken thing, and nearly died of pleasure.
Want to try the burger sauce now. We have naked burgers quite often and I would like to tart them up a bit, in a saintly way.

Do they do proper shopping lists, if you pay a subscription? or have you made your own lists?

By the way, calories are meaningless to my body. Seriously. I can eat 3 meals a day VeryLowCarb, and not gain weight eating nearly 3000 cals a day, or I can eat 1200 calories including carbs, and gain weight - and I can't be the only one.
econd week of diet doctor. The first two weeks are free, no subs. The shopping lists are there, but they do take a bit of finding. I think it's on the top of the page in the toolbar, where the discussion and explanation of the diet is listed.
I've had a similar experience to everyone els, I'm not losing much weight, but it seems quite a high calorific intake. So I've cut down to two eggs in the morning and reduced the butter a little. I don't eat the lunch, as I'm still full from breakfast. I adore the recipes. Soooo tasty, after 30 years of low fat dieting, I think I've died and gone to heaven. 1 1/2 weeks into the plan though, and blood sugar was 8.00! This morning.
Just going to continue until the mountain of food for week 2 has been eaten, and then reconsider. (The other half has lost a stone though!) ;)

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree. I'm on the s

econd week of diet doctor. The first two weeks are free, no subs. The shopping lists are there, but they do take a bit of finding. I think it's on the top of the page in the toolbar, where the discussion and explanation of the diet is listed.
I've had a similar experience to everyone els, I'm not losing much weight, but it seems quite a high calorific intake. So I've cut down to two eggs in the morning and reduced the butter a little. I don't eat the lunch, as I'm still full from breakfast. I adore the recipes. Soooo tasty, after 30 years of low fat dieting, I think I've died and gone to heaven. 1 1/2 weeks into the plan though, and blood sugar was 8.00! This morning.
Just going to continue until the mountain of food for week 2 has been eaten, and then reconsider. (The other half has lost a stone though!) ;)

I'm curious about the portions, actually.
If the recipes prescribe the amount we should be eating, then fine, but in our house we have me, 5 foot 7 female, desk worker, and Mr B, 6 foot 1 male with a more active job. He walks a few miles every shift. No way should I expect to need the same amount of food as him. So if I do eat the 'standard portion' - same as him - then he will lose more weight, won't he?

Yet, LC isn't about the calories...

I have cut the breakfasts out (although I AM having coffeesubstitute with cream instead) mainly because I don't need that much protein, and cutting 3 eggs a day seems like a sensible and controllable reduction.

Not drawing any conclusions, and TBH I never have any expectations of weight loss on ANY diet nowadays because I have been so disappointed in the past. I am wondering though if I have been eating too little in recent months, with the accompanying slowing of metabolism. Too much fasting. There just seems to be so much food on this plan. Breakfast too? I wouldn't be able to manage it all...

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Right... so... if I've got it right now I need to halve my Asda order (for dinner recipes) for next week??? God knows what I'm doing with all this cabbage in my fridge. I might try the dogs with it.

And Mr C now tells me he wants yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast each day.
What about cabbage muesli??? :happy:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What about cabbage muesli??? :happy:
Mmmmmmm, muesli.... another thing I miss.

That chicken, cream, feta and olive dish was lovely last night. I had it with some cauliflower rice which I fried in chilli and garlic oil with a slab of butter. I made three portions of the chicken dish which were amazingly filling and neither of us finished it all, especially after the salmon at lunch. I'm not calculating calories because I know I'd panic. Note to self: caulirice is a good absorber of fat.

Not great BGs this morning... it was 5.1 when I went to bed last night and woke up to a FBG of 7.5. I've had my kippers for breakfast (very salty) and I'm hoping my BG will go down by the next test instead of going up like it normally does.

Tonight is the meal Mr C is dreading....Stuffed cabbage casserole. :) :) To those who have made it before, which would be best: savoy cabbage, spring greens or white cabbage?

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stayed up late last night doing some last minute work on the computer, and suddenly got ravenously hungry at 11.45 :hilarious:
So ended up eating quite a lot of cheese...
never could cope with going to bed hungry.

Maybe will add some konjac rice to tonight's salmon dish (mixed in with the spinach), otherwise could have the same thing tonight.