Newly Diagnosed with Type 1

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning,

I have just been diagnosed with Type 1 this morning. I have had a Type 2 diagnosis since Sept 2015 and my HBA1C has been slowly going up over the last 9 months and the medication hadn't been making any difference. Finally one of the DN's at my surgery did a GAD test.

I have an appointment next week to start insulin. Any advice from anyone, whilst I wait? I already try to follow a low carb diet (not always succeeding) and I run quite a lot, training for a half Marathon. But anything would be gratefully received. I have read lots of posts on here over the last year or so. Finally braved my first post!

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Addy41 :)

Glad you finally got the correct diagnosis :) I recommend buying the book Think Like A Pancreas - it's the Type 1 'bible'.

It must be hard resting your mind to being Type 1 but you're not alone in being misdiagnosed.​

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi Addy41
Hopefully things will turn to the better for you now and you will begin to feel better. I would advise you to ask about a carb counting course once your doses of insulin have settled. It will allow you more freedom to balance your insulin in line with what you want to eat and adjust your does accordingly.
Best of Luck

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi Addy41
Hopefully things will turn to the better for you now and you will begin to feel better. I would advise you to ask about a carb counting course once your doses of insulin have settled. It will allow you more freedom to balance your insulin in line with what you want to eat and adjust your does accordingly.
Best of Luck
I would also recommend the book, I'm reading it at the moment.

Reactions: azure and Addy41

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Add41. I'm in a similar position. Rediagnosed as type 1 from type 2 last week. I've just start reading think like a pancreas as recommended by @azure and I've started doing Bertie online which is a course for type 1s although I've been told by my consultant I'll be going on a dafne course. I'm finding carb counting a challenge but I'll get there and so will you. Got a list of questions for my diabetic nurse next week too.

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your responses! I have bought the book, thank you for the recommendation. @AnnJohnston i have a few questions too. I do wonder if i was mis diagnosed in the first place. Have you started on insilin yet? What is the bertie online like? Is it helpful?

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Addy41 I've actually been on insulin since October although only been rediagnosed as type 1 since last week. I've found Bertie to be very helpful. Module 1 is a guide to diabetes I'm just about to start module 2 which is all about carb counting and module 3 is managing your diabetes. I so far have found it helpful and would definitely give it a try.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Addy41
welcome to the forum !! :)

my best advice it to try and take it slowly , no beating up yourself , remember that this is a long haul condition -- take little steps , and don't forget to live too !!!! :D

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do wonder if i was mis diagnosed in the first place.

There's nothing to wonder about. If you were initially diagnosed as type 2, but you have now had a positive GAD test to confirm a type 1 diagnosis, you can be certain that you were misdiagnosed in the first place.

Reactions: Addy41