Freestyle libre

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no experience of the meter but I have been told repeatedly that the sensors can be read by the Android app eliminating the need to buy the actual meter and only buy the sensors.

I cannot confirm this though having never used one.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you search on "Freestyle Libre" in the forum you'll find many opinions, with a mostly positive set of feedback.

alaska

It depends on how much you have and how much you value your health.

The Libre costs about £100 a month. For me that's well worth it as my control has improved from very good to excellent.

Also it's worth considering the reassurance it gives partners/family as well as your own reassurance.

For some people it's been a revelation, for others (like me) it's tightened up already tight control, for others they've had some issues which have meant they've used but have not gone with it long-term.

The general impression with the Libre (and other CGMs) is once you start using it, you won't want to go back to finger-prick testing.

Best wishes
Ed

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is worth it I think.Basically it means never buying newspapers or something else that is small amounts every day.So if you can save a coin by choosing different,I think it is a good choice. And it is for people around you, a very big comfort knowing if you can not respond, they can scan rather than take a blood test,or if you sleep and seem not right. I hope all children can get this for free at some point.(over 4)

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, we live in France & I've been using the Libre for some months. Worth it? Costs €62 per sensor that lasts 14 days-I started with the reader & 1 sensor kit. I now use it with with a new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge & it works fine though you need to check that your Android phone will work. Use the meter to start a new sensor & never used the app alone.

I do a lot more tests & only finger-prick for blood-testts generally pre injestion. There's a lot more info here
Abbott Freestyle Libre users but let me know if you have specific questions.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The large amount of data that becomes available (BG every 15 mins + whenever you want) is invaluable. Pocket money well spent. It's a little bit astray compared to my Accu-Check Mobile but even that varies from day to day. I'm a very happy bunny.

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've started on it via a trial at the hospital. My first sensor is faulty and reading quite a bit out (4-6mmols)
Rang them and they've sorted it, absolutely no hassle. Left the sensor on to get myself in the habit of scanning, such a god send and far more casual to do your bloods than whacking a whole kit in the table then pro king for the 8+ time that day lol

It doesn't get in the way, isn't uncomfortable to wear or apply. A great tool for me to use (when my new sensor comes) and hopefully is more accurate.

You'll still need to finger prick on hypos/hypers, but should take away the bulk of finger pricking.

Cost wise, it's not cheap but should be an invaluable tool. It's going through the NHS approval bits and bobs and hopefully will be approved by end of 2017.
I fear the cost will limit some poor people's access, I guess not everyone has the luxury to be able to cut stuff out to afford it as they're already on a budget, so hopefully it's approved!

I love it, just hope the next sensor works ok!!

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
I've started on it via a trial at the hospital. My first sensor is faulty and reading quite a bit out (4-6mmols)
Rang them and they've sorted it, absolutely no hassle. Left the sensor on to get myself in the habit of scanning, such a god send and far more casual to do your bloods than whacking a whole kit in the table then pro king for the 8+ time that day lol

It doesn't get in the way, isn't uncomfortable to wear or apply. A great tool for me to use (when my new sensor comes) and hopefully is more accurate.

You'll still need to finger prick on hypos/hypers, but should take away the bulk of finger pricking.

Cost wise, it's not cheap but should be an invaluable tool. It's going through the NHS approval bits and bobs and hopefully will be approved by end of 2017.
I fear the cost will limit some poor people's access, I guess not everyone has the luxury to be able to cut stuff out to afford it as they're already on a budget, so hopefully it's approved!

I love it, just hope the next sensor works ok!!

Lol, I guess I've been misusing the sensor! I don't seem to finger prick, just cure my hypo/hyper. Naughty me :oops:

It is DEFINITELY worth the price

I, too, was also on the trial for 6 weeks. I think it will be on the NHS soon considering they were doing the trials. First sensor stayed on perfectly! My mum accidentally placed it more under my arm than behind, second sensor was knocked off when sleeping (mum had placed it on normally), third sensor peeled away from the actual sensor itself so we had to wrap it up with a thousand plasters and cello tape. Got a replacement sensor for free because of the second one, placed it UNDER my arm which seemed to do the trick because of my sleeping position and finally, bought another sensor and placed it under my arm again and currently there's nothing wrong with it.

Would certainly advise you try it out or anyone else for that matter!
Only down side is the 15 minute delay so if it reads hypo/hyper as mentioned by @victoria21, finger prick to be on the safe side.

Did I forget to mention? It monitors you throughout the night/day so when I wake up, I know how my blood sugars have been and then can decide whether I need to adjust my lantus or not!!!!

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you say more about this NHS approval? What do you know?

All the Rep advised was that it had gone through the trial stages and that it was being put through another stage now, which I believe is the final for NHS funding.

Fingers crossed as with paying for this and the Noctura, it's getting a little tight in my pocket.. bit more tax relief would be nice! lol

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lol, I guess I've been misusing the sensor! I don't seem to finger prick, just cure my hypo/hyper. Naughty me :oops:

It is DEFINITELY worth the price

I, too, was also on the trial for 6 weeks. I think it will be on the NHS soon considering they were doing the trials. First sensor stayed on perfectly! My mum accidentally placed it more under my arm than behind, second sensor was knocked off when sleeping (mum had placed it on normally), third sensor peeled away from the actual sensor itself so we had to wrap it up with a thousand plasters and cello tape. Got a replacement sensor for free because of the second one, placed it UNDER my arm which seemed to do the trick because of my sleeping position and finally, bought another sensor and placed it under my arm again and currently there's nothing wrong with it.

Would certainly advise you try it out or anyone else for that matter!
Only down side is the 15 minute delay so if it reads hypo/hyper as mentioned by @victoria21, finger prick to be on the safe side.

Did I forget to mention? It monitors you throughout the night/day so when I wake up, I know how my blood sugars have been and then can decide whether I need to adjust my lantus or not!!!!

I found the constant monitoring, particularly overnight a HUGE help as well...
and I love the graphs, tracking back where it went skew whiff is far easier using this and made positive changes already.. exited for my next HBA1c!
starting to sound like a bit of a knob now lol but hey, when you're lumbered with Diabetes.. I guess Knowledge is power haha!

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
I found the constant monitoring, particularly overnight a HUGE help as well...
and I love the graphs, tracking back where it went skew whiff is far easier using this and made positive changes already.. exited for my next HBA1c!
starting to sound like a bit of a knob now lol but hey, when you're lumbered with Diabetes.. I guess Knowledge is power haha!

Agreed! When we had to buy a new sensor and wait for a few days and go back to finger pricking, I felt as if I was losing control because with the Libre, I constantly scan myself whereas I don't constantly finger prick as I despise it :p
Good luck on your HbA1c!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 diabetic for 33 years now and my blood sugar control was never very good, mainly because I hated having to finger prick. I have now been using the Freestyle Libra continuously for a year now and my blood/glucose control has never been better. There have been one or two problems, mainly with faulty sensors but the company Abbot laboratories have always replaced them within 3 - 5 days. No more finger pricking unless I really have to and other than the cost I think this is a brilliant piece of equipment It should definitely be made available on the NHS. I would have thought the saving on long term treatment alone would be more than cost effective.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
By the way, does anyone know why the sensors only last 14 days and why if you apply them but do not activate them for a couple of days, you still get 14 days use ?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
By the way, does anyone know why the sensors only last 14 days and why if you apply them but do not activate them for a couple of days, you still get 14 days use ?

They're programmed that way. I've tried putting the date back on both my phone and reader to see if I could get longer than 14 days but it doesn't work. On the phone, sure, I can change the date as much as I want, but when I then scan with Librelink, it tells me, sorry mate, this only works when phone time is automatically set. Can't remember why reader time change didn't work, but it doesn't work either. There'll maybe be some teenage Estonian hacker in a basement in Tallinn along shortly who'll figure out how to hack it. Sure, Abbott are well entitled to make money out of the investment they've made in this frankly stunning piece of technology (google Wiley in vivo glucose sensing and peek inside the book on Amazon to see just how much science is involved), so I don't grudge them timing it out after 14 days, but there's also the plain fact that the enzymes on the sensir filament probably wear out after a while.

You still get 14 days because the 14 days only starts counting from when you activate it, not from when you insert it. Hmm, I suppose that means those enzymes do last longer than 14 days after all...those corporate b****s are ripping us!

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With regards to the improved control reducing future possible treatments on NHS, this was exactly my thinking!

According to my reader, my HBA1c should be down by 1%, which should make me down from 8% to 7% (in old 'money' that is!) Aiming for my 6.5% again after a year of up and down with illness
I am actually looking forward to seeing how accurate it is on my next blood test!
It's fascinating seeing how your blood sugars react to certain things and so much easier to make positive changes!

I've seen that someone has an app that can read the sensor after it's 'expired' but I think that's delving into a whole new depth of infection control and possibly corrupted accuracy? Possibly
Don't think I'd risk it at the min

Just ordered my next 2 sensors, one thing to be aware of is their PayPal option was playing up and ended up having to ring Abbot, cancel the order and reorder on the phone. Not sure if that's a common thing or a one off. I was just being plain lazy as it was easier with PayPal than getting off my bum and getting my bank card out lol!

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
With regards to the improved control reducing future possible treatments on NHS, this was exactly my thinking!

According to my reader, my HBA1c should be down by 1%, which should make me down from 8% to 7% (in old 'money' that is!) Aiming for my 6.5% again after a year of up and down with illness
I am actually looking forward to seeing how accurate it is on my next blood test!
It's fascinating seeing how your blood sugars react to certain things and so much easier to make positive changes!

I've seen that someone has an app that can read the sensor after it's 'expired' but I think that's delving into a whole new depth of infection control and possibly corrupted accuracy? Possibly
Don't think I'd risk it at the min

Just ordered my next 2 sensors, one thing to be aware of is their PayPal option was playing up and ended up having to ring Abbot, cancel the order and reorder on the phone. Not sure if that's a common thing or a one off. I was just being plain lazy as it was easier with PayPal than getting off my bum and getting my bank card out lol!

My Libre helped me get to 5.6%, so good luck on your next HbA1c results!